What's new

Decarboxylation

ZEROorDIE

225*F for 30mins works pretty well some do it longer/hotter etc.

i prefer to risk not having it ALL decarboxylated and make sure i dont toast my bud

other than that i only really decarboxylate during the purge for qwiso

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who thinks this is an important step in making hash or tinctures? What is the best time and temp?

It is important if you want it orally active. I use 240F for ~30 minutes.

GW

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
It is very important for edibles, I do 325 for 10-15 minutes, it smells to high heaven, but increases potency by as much as 50 percent.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is this the same time/temp recommended for decarbing dried plant shake for making orally active edibles?

Yes, no, maybe!

Decarboxylation happens all by itself at room temperature given enough time. It is both time and temperature that need be considered.

One hour at 120C/248F has been shown by experimentation to convert about 70% of the THCA to THC and presumeably the same with the other cananbinolic acids.

More than about 70% approaches the point of diminishing returns and is best accomplished using chemical processs rather than just heat.

Distilling off ethanol at 173F converts the acids as well, albeit at a slower rate than 248F. You have to consider the total thermal processes and curing involved.

GW

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Hi GW,

Do you also decarb your hash/kiff before smoking/vaping?

I tend to heat mine for only 10 mins at 170c (in the oven) and wonder if it's sufficent for any change to happen (I actually do this as part of the pressing process, but figured I was getting some benefit from it also in terms of activating non active acids etc)

Yes, no, maybe!

Decarboxylation happens all by itself at room temperature given enough time. It is both time and temperature that need be considered.

One hour at 120C/248F has been shown by experimentation to convert about 70% of the THCA to THC and presumeably the same with the other cananbinolic acids.

More than about 70% approaches the point of diminishing returns and is best accomplished using chemical processs rather than just heat.

Distilling off ethanol at 173F converts the acids as well, albeit at a slower rate than 248F. You have to consider the total thermal processes and curing involved.

GW

Hey GW, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the optimal method for making the most effective orally active edibles, with dry shake. So can I assume from your answer that its best to cook the dry shake with the coconut oil to 248F for 60 minutes? thx

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out the optimal method for making the most effective orally active edibles, with dry shake. So can I assume from your answer that its best to cook the dry shake with the coconut oil to 248F for 60 minutes? thx

I personally extract and decarboxylate the oil separately from adding the coconut oil.

If I were extracting directly with coconut oil, I would probably stay under ~160/180F, and cook it longer to preserve the lower evaporation point volitiles.

GW

GanjaPharma

i decarb my bubblehash and it makes a big difference in taste, smoothness, and potency.
wait till my bubble is suuuuper dry (10-14 days dry), then make a packet about half the size of a deck of cards (use high density plastic) tape it up tight, then seal a meal the packet. then 30 minutes in BOILING water, never gets burned that way. when the packet comes out i roll it a bit with a rolling pin to mix the melted hash a bit though this might not be necessary,,,,then into the freezer for 30 minutes, then peel and voila!
better than any oil i've ever made, and almost as pure as the best co2 extract (that stuff is off the hook, but i cant make it at home).
just talking about it has my tummy is grumbling for hash....

jump117

Veteran
Hi Hrpuffnkush, they posted in the link you've given

" 46-50°C (115-122°F) - 50% of THC-acid decarboxylates in the first minute.
51-75°C (124-167°F) - All of THC-acid decarboxylates to active THC.
101-200°C (214-392°F) - Boiling point of average volatile terpenoids. "

That doesn't correspond to
picture.php

I think they mistook the offgasing at decarboxylation for boiling terpenoids.
I have observed this effect from 5th to 10th minute of heating at 122°C (252°F).

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
better than any oil i've ever made, and almost as pure as the best co2 extract (that stuff is off the hook, but i cant make it at home).

Where did you find co2 extract? I keep hearing people talk about it, but no one ever seems to be able to prove it was really co2 extract, or show me where to get it. I have seen lots of things called co2 extract, but none were.

-SamS

D

Duk~O~Deth

I run 3oz of Everclear through 7grams of cannabis in an Expresso maker. Reduce to oil and mix with honey then consume

Done outside of course.

Seems to decarbox for me. I never got any effect off of edibles until I heard about decarboxylation on IC mag.

Cheerful

I run 3oz of Everclear through 7grams of cannabis in an Expresso maker. Reduce to oil and mix with honey then consume

Done outside of course.

Seems to decarbox for me. I never got any effect off of edibles until I heard about decarboxylation on IC mag.

BRILLIANT! Can't wait to try this!!

And welcome Duk!! Great first post!

onegreenday

Veteran
i decarb my bubblehash and it makes a big difference in taste, smoothness, and potency.
wait till my bubble is suuuuper dry (10-14 days dry), then make a packet about half the size of a deck of cards (use high density plastic) tape it up tight, then seal a meal the packet. then 30 minutes in BOILING water, never gets burned that way. when the packet comes out i roll it a bit with a rolling pin to mix the melted hash a bit though this might not be necessary,,,,then into the freezer for 30 minutes, then peel and voila!
just talking about it has my tummy is grumbling for hash....

sounds like a good method and boiling water is 212 degrees F so can't harm the resin and 1 hour would work too.

maybe wrap in cellophane (good to boil?) to protect resin
and to roll it or press it should work since it's so warm......

when it's hard again use the Milla hammer method....

Latest posts

Latest posts