What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$$$Air Pots and Smart Pots Club$$$

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey there everybody I decided to make this thread to start a club for all of us Air Pot and Smart Pot users to post results and tips for using these pots. I would also like to call out somebody for saying Air Pots are a waste of money! Look at this I couldn't believe dude said this cuz I've heard not ONE bad thing about these pots from growers using them!

air pots are a waste of money, better of just putting heaps of perlite in your mix, unless your growing massive trees u wont see any beneift with air pots , just less money in your wallet.

if people are getting 30 gram autos in dirt in one gallon containers, whats the big deal about 2.5 ounce plants in 2 gallons of coco? i saw a 2 ounce white rhino plant grown in a half gallon of coco once here already, drill a few holes in your containers or poke some holes in your grow bags and save the hundred+bucks it cost for air pots imo.

I was like WTF? Gotta be kidding me so I went and found what my buddy posted about them since he could actually speak on it since he had been in regular pots for quite a while and then switched on this last grow he did. Well here is what he said..

Originally Posted by TheRealDeal
So I decided to try to add a little life to this "air pot" thread for my first post. This was my first experience with these pots. The pots were def worth every penny. I vegd for the same amount of time as always before, 10-14 days and my girls were out of control. these things seriously cut veg time by 40-50% for me. not to mention within week one I had stalks fatter than ever before. about a 50% increse. My roots were obviously happier than they have ever been before, and I have done this same strain (purple kush) and same nutrient run multiple multiple times. Things got so big this round I had to get rid of a good amount of the plants. along with the bigger happeir plants came a healtheir yield, so now I am now cutting way back on my actual plant number because my yield was bigger with way less plants this time. I am going to try to put a few pics on here dont know if it will work because i never have but theres more in my album. hope this helps let me know if you have any questions... oh yeah and the medium is a soiless (coco) mix. the same as i used before the air pots... OH YEAH these are 2 gal and i used 3 before..

Here are the SR71 Purple Kush's he did ..
picture.php

picture.php

and here's what else he said about that grow..
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal View Post
ottoman- thanks man that really helps me out. I run the same tent, same light with trays an a table with resivors under them on a recirculating top feed irrigation system. This round I used those air pots and had monsters. way to big. after 2 or 3 weeks I had to drop the number by 12 and actually pulled a little more than usual. same range as yours. so this time im losin the tables puttin them on the ground and puttin a res outside the tent. I think they will get way more light low like that, because my last ones were so close to the lights i had to zip tie the lights to the cross bars!! I dont know if you saw them but i only veged for 10-14 days and they were huge in air pots. I pulled over 100 grams on some of em!!! thats in two and 2.5 gal air pots, imagine 5 gal!!! this helpd inspired me thanks!!!

Ok so me posting that made good ol Air Pot hater Castelvetro think 1. That I'm DrBud under a different screen name!!! WTF! and
2. My buddy must work for the company making Air Pots cuz he says folks are getting the same results side by side with regular pots!!! :laughing:

So folks using Air Pots and Smart Pots PLEASE join in and show how great they are and how much better your root system is ect :tiphat:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
GETMO!!! Chime in with was your results from your side by side with regular pots, air pots, and smart pots with the same strain nutes ect..

Don't quote folks but I was something like...
Regular Pots: 1oz
Air Pots: 2.5oz
Smart Pots: 4oz

He said the Smart Pots only beat the Air Pots with that strain but other ones have been equal but ALWAYS double+ what the regular pots gave...

Rouge

Those plants don't look tall at all. I suppose that was due to training. What is better? Airpots or smart pots? Thanks Thurdunkel. Any corroboration?

Last edited:

grapeman

Veteran
I am watching here also. I just planted my first 3 gal smart pot within 24 other 3 gal plastic pots in this grow. I too would like to see side by side results of plants from the same mothers.

G

Guywithoutajeep

You serious Clark? That's a pretty big difference. I don't use them, but since you mentioned it...

This has potential. I'd like to hear more from the people who use them or have tested them.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Those plants don't look tall at all. I suppose that was due to training. What is better? Airpots or smart pots? Thanks Thurdunkel. Any corroboration?

Dude those are BIG compare to what they would've been if in regular 3gal pots in the same medium with same nutrients... Went from getting 1-2 oz plants to 3-4 oz plants and went down a size in pots and that's all that was changed I think that's a pretty damn good reason to switch :tiphat:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I'd also like to add, I recently made a new mom of my Double Purple Blowfish and put it in a 3 liter Air Pot and fuck me I can't control the bitch! I just put my Magic Merlin mom into a 3liter Air Pot and it was in a 2.5L Square Pot chuggin along slowly like GDP crosses do so I can't wait to see it get going cuz it's sped up the DPB by 15% I'd say

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Here is what is said on the Air Pots site about them..

Air Pots Website! Watch The VIDEO!!

"Air-Pots have unusual cuspated walls, sort of an egg box configuration, made up of closed inward pointing cones and open ended outward pointing cones. There are no flat surfaces on the inside of the container to deflect roots and start the spiralling process.

The inward pointing cones direct the roots further outward to the open ended cones where, because the air density in the soil is too great, the roots dehydrate and are effectively pruned.

The plant responds to this "air-pruning" by sending out more roots to compensate for the loss which leads to a dense root system with a vast number of active white tipped roots.

The porosity of the Air-Pot also creates better conditions for bacterial activity and thus increases the amount of nutrients available to the plant. With so much root right back to the stem, the root system is very efficient in its use of all the available water and nutrient.

Plant vigour and health is therefore guaranteed."

That's what makes them different than regular pots no matter how short the growing cycle is lol

FC89

I got some air pots that I'm going to be transplanting some auto's into. I'm hoping that it really does prove good.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Awhile back, somebody on this forum mentioned a product you spray on the inside of pots, which chemically prunes roots when they hit the sides and bottom of the pot.

Mentally, I associate the product with copper either because the molecular formula contained Cu, or because it had a copper color when applied.

Anyone have info about this?

Edit: My memory served me right. See
http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/9114-spin-out-chemical-root-pruning.html
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=91068 (pics dead)
http://broker10.fcla.edu/DLData/HP/HP00000107/SN00971219/107_0/215-217 (ALDRICH).pdf (PDF download)

What do you think Thundurkel?

1quixotix

The product was spin-out. The ingredient was copper hydroxide. Never really caught on, but the idea was very cool. I'm interested in what everybody has to say. I was thinking Hempy buckets, but perhaps air or smart. Don't know the differences, pros+cons of both. What grow situation suits them best.
Growing coco with pearlite mixed in, or Pro-mix with pearlite mixed in. With some silica rock thrown in for good measure.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
That's impressive no doubt, that's what root system is supposed to be like haha root pruning just makes so much more sense than letting them just circle the pot over and over..

G

Guest 18340

A fellow icmagger let me borrow one of those airpots and today I transplanted some Tomatoes in one.
Anyway, I wonder how well coco would do in one:chin:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Here's what they say about the Air Pots for Tree's and Shrubs..

Air-Pots for Trees & Shrubs
Air-Pots for Trees

We are very proud that the best horticultural institutions in the world – including the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew and Edinburgh, and the Forestry Commission’s Bedgebury Pinetum, among many others – are major supporters and users of the Air-Pot. Indeed they propagate their rare seed collected around the world ONLY in Air-Pots, then pot on into larger Air-Pots too.

Also, the authorities behind the London Olympic Games 2012, have specified that all plants grown in containers of 5Litres will be in Air-Pots!

This is simply because the Air-Pot actively enhances the root system and, consequently, the plant health and vigour.

We developed the Air-Pot in the 1990’s – and still work closely with our customers to keep making improvements – for the best nurseries to grow high quality trees and shrubs. The Air-Pot became known for producing excellent results even with ‘problem’ species – those which simply don’t like containers, or have too vigorous a root system, which normally get quickly and really badly pot-bound – Eucalyptus, Quercus, Pinus.

Simple technology:

* There are no flat surfaces on the inside of an Air-Pot to deflect roots and start the circling process. In stead, the curved cones guide the roots as they grow out or down, towards the air. ‘Air-pruning’ simply means that the root tip is dehydrated, so it stops growing and develops more and more fine feeder roots.

Main benefits:

* More roots mean more efficient take-up of water and nutrient and faster growth.
* The drainage prevents the soil getting water-logged, which is so often the cause of premature death in containers.
* You can plant a cutting or small specimen into a much larger Air-Pot than you would think possible. You can miss all those interim stages of potting up, causing much less interference to the tree or shrub.
* And as long as you keep feeding the plant, it can stay in an Air-Pot longer without coming to harm. So if the tree is getting a bit big for the Air-Pot, but there is a delay in planting it out into the garden, just ensure that you give plenty regular feed and water.

Helpful pointers:

* As in any container, water ‘runs-off’ when watering a plant which has been allowed to dry out. Keep the growing media moist with regular watering to avoid this problem. Better still, install a dripper irrigation system to water little and often (according to the needs of the plant). If you do have drippers, every so often, move them to different positions around the plant.
* The Air-Pot is gradually developing more and more roots. Remember to step up the watering accordingly.

i recently came across these rug non slip pads that are palced under rugs to stop them from shifting or varnishing wood floors. the particular type i bought had extra padding. the material is essentially identical to an air pot, but completely flat. so, i cut a strip. fastened it into a circle, attached a bottom & am going to place my mothers in them & see what happens. Ill post a few pics when they are filled with the ladies.