What's new

Chemical Root Pruning using Copper Hydroxide

JungleBoi

Here begins my attempt at chemical root pruning.

100g of Copper Hydroxide was mixed with 1L of white water-based latex paint.

The paint was brushed on the inside of 15 3"x3" square containers.

The containers are filled with either pure coco or a mix of coco and charcoal.

10 DPS Skunk #1 and 5 Legends Ultimate Indica will be placed in these containers.

Link to a test using this method (pdf)

The Copper Hydroxide
DSC00809.jpg

A Treated Container
DSC00811.jpg

Some of the Treated Containers with Coco / Coco+Charcoal
DSC00812.jpg

Last edited:
M

Microwido

Yeah its cool your trying something new, but what does this gain? Did you see the document was circa 1994? We have advanced leaps and bounds in growing practices since then.

A root ball is a good thing, so why on earth would you want to stop that from happening.

I guess this would be good for keeping plants small.

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
it doesnt keep rootballs small...it prevents the roots from growin around the sides of the pot as opposed to the middle. This way, you get a much denser rootball(in soil) that fills up ALL the soil in the pot!!!not just the outsides...Ive wanted to try this stuff for a while, but I dont like chemicals...not in my garden!!!Peace

- Z

greenhead

Veteran
Looks interesting !

I look forward to seeing your results and pictures of the roots when the plants are out of the containers.

:joint: :wave:

There was a product years ago called spin-out that some time growers use to use and swore by it. But I think it was banned??

Pig-Pen

Where'd you get the CH?

Spin-Out doesn't seem to be available anywhere anymore, but if you can source raw CH, then, yeah..... :headbange

For those of you that don't get, this is used for chemical-root-pruning. As each root tip contacts the interior surface of the container, it stops growth at that point, forcing the auxiliary roots to grow out until they reach the container surface, and so on. The result is a very dense and healthy root system; there will be no "root spin" in the containers leading to root binding. Plants can be grown more efficiently and in smaller containers with root pruning. :joint:

Pig-Pen

greenisgold said:
There was a product years ago called spin-out that some time growers use to use and swore by it. But I think it was banned??

It was Griffin's Spin-Out. I bought several spray cans of it years back but they got left behind somewhere. :no:

Latest posts

Latest posts