What's new

Micro Organic Budsicle Machine

gr8fulbud

Micro Organic Budsicle Machine
The cab was started in mid-October and I finished it on October 31st. I basically copied ideas from these forums on designs that included clone/mother, drying, and flower chambers all in one cab. I also cut and riveted together two large rubbermaid tubs to place over the wooden cab to make it blend into the other storage bins in my garage. I'm using a garage refrigerator as the patsy for the fan noise. The soil is peat moss, homemade compost, earthworm castings, perlite, and vermiculite. A little bloodmeal, bone meal, and dolomite lime were added. Nutes are Budswel (bat and seabird guano plus earthworm castings) and molasses.
Here's how it went:

The cab

Cab dimensions are: 28" wide x 32" tall x 13" deep.
Walls are 1/2" MDF. Front door is 3/8" plywood.

All pieces glued , clamped, and screwed.

Intakes Exhaust

7be628101af9dc42f6d3ae3b455a9400_263010.jpg

Divider wall becomes...a light trap wall.

Which are then installed to all0w air to pass from the clone/mother room to the flower room without leaking light.

Reflectix is placed in the grow chambers and is also used to isolate the fans from the cab to keep vibration down.

Wired up 5 light fixtures and placed them in the flower cab. Currently running (5) 23 watt 2700K CFLs at 12/12.
I used (2) 23 watt CFLs 6500K in clone/mom room...I'll probably change to 9 3/4" T5s as soon as I can and make separate clone and mom areas.

I used Gorilla Glue to more-strongly attach the weatherstrip to the door frames. Water-filled jugs are used to compress the weatherstrip a bit before installing hinges.

First light check... rack for the drying room.

The utility room...the usual suspects... surge strips, voltage converters, DIY carbon filter, fan to exit the cab.

The back of the cab...bottom two toilet flanges are intakes, top one is exhaust. I attach flexible dryer vent to the intakes and bend it around so that light doesn't spill out. The power cord runs out from the utility room.

The box next to the fridge. The box all stealthed up!

That’s all for now
check back later for the grow!
comments appreciated!

lohocla420

sick box bro, pullin up a chair for this one.
got some great ideas Id like to use in my own grow when I actually buld up somethin better in my basement. anychance you got any dimensions for pieces used in this? I suck at carpentry.
Cant wait to see more from this one, keep em comin and great work brotha

Crake

Slick design and beautiful craftsmanship. Looks clean! Looking forward to seeing how this works out for you. Love how perfectly those scrog screens fit! Drying room is super clever. I'm hesitant to trust that you'll have enough airflow to cool 161 watts of CFLs though. Have you done any tests of running temps yet? Cheers.

gr8fulbud

I too am no pro at carpentry and I had a skillsaw and a sabre saw for most of the cuts. they weren't perfect but caulk and glue filled in the gaps.
No dimensions for the individual pieces except the overall size is 28" wide x 32" tall x 13" deep. I cover the box with two rubbermaid tubs with the bottoms cut out. The tubs are pop riveted together so they pull over the top of the cab when I go to play with the plants. The size of the tubs determined the size of my cab. I had a bunch of clear Sterilite containers that hold the plants (4-5 plants per container). Two of these fit side by side in the flower chamber and one in the mom/clone chamber. Thats what really determined the placement of my partition walls. The flowering room is approximately 15" wide x 32' tall x
13 " deep. The mom/clone chamber is about 8" wide x 24" tall x 13" deep. The center drying chamber is about 5" long x 24" tall x 13" deep. The utility room is above the mom/clone chamber and is about 13" wide x 8" tall x 13" deep.
Hope that helps.

gr8fulbud

Any ideas about this message when I try to upload pictures?

Any ideas about this message when I try to upload pictures?

Never mind. Good night.

lohocla420

I love this build more and more everytime I see it. MAd props where they are deserved my man.

Did every cut come from one piece of mdf?

How much did you end up spending alltogether jsut on the construciton material alone minus caulk and screws?

gr8fulbud

Crake...I only have 115 watts in the flowering room which runs 12/12 (7:00pm-7:00am). I have 46 watts in the flowering cab which runs 24/0. So during lights out in the flowering room, warm air is sucked in from the mom/clone room and keeps my temps from falling too low. My setup is in a cold garage and my temps in the cab have ranged from 68-80 for the past nine weeks. Outside temps have been from 18 to 39 degrees for the past several days. Things are ok for now.

gr8fulbud

lohocla420, I actually tore down my old micro mini cab and used almost all of the electrical parts and well as the carbon scrubber. I did use one piece of 1/2 MDF and a 25" roll of Reflectix, three toilet flanges, two 120mm computer fans, two surge protector strips, a couple of voltage adapters as well as a cheap timer. Everthing from Wal mart and Home DePOT. Probably cost less than $250.

lohocla420

lohocla420, I actually tore down my old micro mini cab and used almost all of the electrical parts and well as the carbon scrubber. I did use one piece of 1/2 MDF and a 25" roll of Reflectix, three toilet flanges, two 120mm computer fans, two surge protector strips, a couple of voltage adapters as well as a cheap timer. Everthing from Wal mart and Home DePOT. Probably cost less than $250.

ok cool, I have all that stuff already except the MDF, how much that run you at the depot?

I hope you woudltn mind IF I copy your design a bit. Its the cleanest slickest cabs Ive seen yet and I am rethinking some plans I originally had

gr8fulbud

Don't flatter me, man. Every idea for my cab I ripped off someone else. I learn more off this web site than I ever learned in college! Guess that's nothing to brag about!

lohocla420

Don't flatter me, man. Every idea for my cab I ripped off someone else. I learn more off this web site than I ever learned in college! Guess that's nothing to brag about!
What strain you got lined up for this one? any particular in mind? perhaps some bagseed.

Well im subscribed, keep us updated brotha. late

gr8fulbud

MDF was probably $20 or so. Sketch your design then make a cardboard model, it might help you visualize in three dimensions. Or just drop some fuckin' acid! The depot might cut all the wood for free or a nominal fee. I like the size of mine for stealth reasons and it has plenty of headroom for the "Dr. Bud style" SOG approach I use. Good luck and feel free to ask me questions whenever you like...just until you get over the hump then its all downhill from there! Whee!

Nice looking cabinet, looking forward to seeing a grow in there!

How'd you like working with MDF? I used it for my current cab but won't for the next - too much dust when cutting it, and it's full of nasty chemicals (formaldehyde?). Nice finish though, and easy to paint.

gr8fulbud

Actually I've got five nice ladies finishing flowering now. Three were random bagseed and the other two were seeds I found on a park bench and they grew the tallest. I've learned to clone in the last few weeks and have a bonsai mother that Im grooming so i can have a small perpetual style grow once I have everything dialed in. Meanwhile I need to figure out how to add more pics to keep all those interested folks up to date.

lohocla420

MDF was probably $20 or so. Sketch your design then make a cardboard model, it might help you visualize in three dimensions. Or just drop some fuckin' acid! The depot might cut all the wood for free or a nominal fee. I like the size of mine for stealth reasons and it has plenty of headroom for the "Dr. Bud style" SOG approach I use. Good luck and feel free to ask me questions whenever you like...just until you get over the hump then its all downhill from there! Whee!

same here I need some stealthiness due to parents owning my house and living two houses over. It was a wedding gift to my wife and I and my ol man is a nosey shit. I also following in drbud stylie growing perp SOG.

gr8fulbud

Sirbudsalot, Well I'd prefer to use tongue and groove bamboo but I'm fresh out! You're probably right about the dust from MDF (I did use a mask when I cut the stuff to avoid dain bramage), but its what I could afford at the time. The growing chambers are lined with a refective bubble wrap type product so I don't think there is too much off-gassing or any other nasty stuff going on...I hope!

gr8fulbud

The other thing I learned about working with MDF is that all the screw holes should be pre-drilled with a smaller than the screw drillbit. Gluing and then screwing really makes the MDF much stronger. I have a small cordless drill that takes all the work out of it. I used 3/8 plywood for the doors though...they hold the hinges and locks better than MDF.

gr8fulbud

lohocla420...Another good reason to have Lowe's or Home Depot cut the wood for you is so you can be stealthier in your assembly. You need a place where you can work quickly and be able to cover up in an instant. Also good to have another wood type project going to take the rap for assembly noise. Yeah Dad, I'm making you a Christmas present...don't look in there...doh!

lohocla420...Another good reason to have LOwe's or Home Depot cut the wood for you is so you can be stealthier in your assembly. You need a place where you can work quickly and be able to cover up in an instant. Also good to have another wood type project going to take the rap for assembly noise. Yeah Dad, I'm making you a Christmas present...don't look in there...doh!
i had a problem with lowe's cutting my wood, they miscut a lot of them (or they weren't accurate) and it kind of fucked up my whole cab.