What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newbie enquiries-100% Free Strain Advice y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Ok so im back on ic, you dont know who i am, which is sweet, but in 3-5 years you just might. Im mainly back to pm a few friends but while im still on i thought i'd offer a service for newbies, that i wish had been available over the years, because it would have saved me alot of time.

Over the last 10+ years i have grown well over 100 strains by all of the seed companies going, and after all this time and effort i have realised that everyone was interesting and different in some way but only a chunky handfull were truly up to the top standard.

So this is my offer for anyone, not just noobs as its pritty patronising being called a newbie, anyone who wants to know any fact about any strain and dont know where to turn, or who to ask, I am not biased towards any seed company or strain , until i release my own that is,

So shoot , any question, any thing. Im here only to :1help: help people get better at producing the best they can, im not here to sell seeds

A LIAS

jackass2141

I'm wondering why elite clones aren't selfed for sale? Is there a lot of hermies that way or something? I'd also like to know why no one can seem to produce enough chem crosses to make everyone here happy? I got some selfed beans of a very nice strain that is clone only, should i expect to pick bannanas everyday?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
good questions, very good. Anything selfed will compramise the DNA totally, shame when breeders who dont want to spend the time homogenising their strains and making sure that feminised pollen doesn't accidentally pollute their standard strains.One reason i feel maybe responsible for all the hermie infected genetics, apart from breeder laziness or incompetance, is using hydroponics, now hydro is very efficient as everybody knows, but in my experience the nugs easily outgrow the male hermie flowers so breeders wouldnt know that their choice females secretly selfed themselves. Elite clones do and dont exist, i have been given many elite clones and mostly they were pritty elite, but after buying the same strains repeatedly i found individuals far far better than the elites of the same strain, but it depends which elite you want, i have to date baught over 10 crosses with chem in, i do love the taste but from what i have seen hermies are a big problem with that line. As for those selfed beans you got, its always hard to tell but the odds are greatly increased, one problem is that hermies can lack parts of neccissary chromosomes, and that can criple the plant but doesnt always happen. breeding in soil allows you to see what you breeding with hydro makes it very hard to pick out defining features that you want.
Hope some of that helped

LIAS

B

BigTex

I'm growin...
picture.php

...here at 32N in the states...
picture.php

I've grown alot outdoors before, but always from "bagseed". These are the first beans I've grown from breeders. I've started a thread about my grow, it's the link in my signature. Some of the strains aren't exactly for outdoors but potency and fairly early maturation were the biggest factors with my choices. Oh yea...no WHL- Super Skunk. None popped. They looked like QC rejects. Is bad quality typical of WHL? They are about the cheapest! ANY advise or info on those strains you'd like to send my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Leonidus

I'm currently germinating some White Label White Ice Seeds (Fem) and some G-13 Labs Northern Lights X Skunk (Fem). I was just wanting to know the quality of WL seeds particularly the White Ice strain (heard various opinions of the company and strain!?)and also if the NL X Skunk is a decent yielder ? Thanks

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
best piece of advise would be to keep those blueberries away from the white russians, dutch passion sadly are a bit of a mess i cant tell you, i could but i wont, how many packs i have had of them only to be very sorry, no biggie though all blueberries out there seem to have a bit of hermie genes. throw a couple of feet of composte down for all, but especially the russians they will make you very happy,one of the strongest going, big central nug and a skunky white widowy taste , seriously some of the finest.Now i did say that im "not biased towards any seed company" but Arjan from greenhouse seeds is a silly dutch marketing man that calls himself "the king of cannabis" which goes against the ethics of what we all do a bit, despite this white rhino should be alright, he stole that strain from shanti of mr nice seeds who is a legend it may taste similar to the russians but i dont think theyl be as good. i cant quite see the white label pack sorta looks like something skunk so sweet taste and a medium high. Damn americans with your large open areas and sunny days, good luck

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Leonidus - ill try and be tactfull, White label isnt really the best, like a couple of other breeders, their possibly more interested in getting the beans out there than growing on what their breeding and making sure that the quality is really there, now quality is a subjective matter but having grown widow in various forms i can say that the white ice aint the best a you may find that most WL strains will lack in some (or most) areas. the NL X SKUNK should be one of better yielders neither skunk nor NL are usually small.

B

BigTex

Thanks man:D I edited my first post to include details of the WL pack. You are right about the BB from DP!!! Those BB's look weak! 8 of 10 are males too. The White Russian looks to be the most promising-8 of 10 are females and growing real well. The White Rhyno is looking good also and 4 of 5 are female.
True I am in early veg but I think a good grower has a way of being able to tell early on which plants will be winners and which ones will not. I think White Russian will be my best this season.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Top 10 or so would be hard, id rarther do top 20, but yea erm:

in no order because that really is too hard, without taking hours and hours of deliberating

for taste,high,yield, and most importantly reliability:

Double dutch
DTCA 99- by bros grim
southern lights- by delta 9
sensi star
DR atomics haze(not hazey at all unique tasting compact indica)
Fruity juice
jack herer (really good)
warlock
power plant (real hard to get good pp but so so good)
cheese- big buddah

really really hard that!! these are stranded on a dessert island strains, all different top notch flavours that yield very well and wont hermie

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Yea BIGTEX i think your right about being to tell early on the genetics are blatently flawed from seed, White Russian always lives up to her name,

B

BigTex

I noticed russian is not in your top picks, but I think I'm gonna include Sensi star(one of your picks) and Kali mist in my next order. Don't like the finish time on the mist but I've heard so much good about it

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
The oldest sayings are always the best, you usually get what you pay for, but never pay more than $100 for a pack of seeds there are these sadists called doggies nuts that want over £300, whats that like $450 for there crappy, made up, single generation reject seeds, i hope no other companies try that crap but forget i mentioned that

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yea cali mist is good shit, if i had done a top 20 WR would have been but i was focusing more on flavour distinctiveness, i didnt put a widow in there and i should have done really

hempknowsis

Alright lost at sea,

How about your top 10 strains, high wise? These would be your top 10 strains for the smoke connoisseur, the personal grower. Just your favorite all time strains to smoke, the jars you instinctively reach for.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
ok hempknowsis well for connoisseur highs its pritty similar, as well as flavour i was thinking bout highs for the last list, but in no order again:

-DTCA99 (again, unreal high durban x thai high flyer x cindy 99)
-warlock (a clone i took of one of the earlier batches of warlock was blisteringly powerful )
-power plant (if i wanna get really really spaced 2 reefers in a row of this shit fucks you up)
-DR atomics haze
-grapefruit x blueberry (chimeras , the only top notch blueberry cross ive grown wit no herms)
-jack herer (both sensis and karmas jack are a must in any selection)
-fruity juice (just a classic tasting strong stain)
-dr atomics shiva (really good high great citrusy/spicey taste )
-de shamans white widow
-mr nice's super silver (bit generic choosing ssh but this is the best ssh going,shanti did invent the strain)

thats 10 shortly behind would be double dutch, sensi star, nebula, southernlights, mangolian indica, orange bud(only rare elites going around that are good enough) kali mist, any a chem strain that doesnt hermie(im still looking for one), all these strains,including the ones in the list, i have had more than 5 packs of so i can vouch for them being homogenous which as well as taste, high and yield is very very important

the yielding list would be very different, but yield is irrelevent really unless your commercial

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i find that when i reach for a jar, i either wanna get good and stoned as fast as possible, or i want a particular flavour. if i went for a day out somewhere id take:

powerplant, jack, DTCA99, fruity juice and that grapefruit x blueberry and probobly sensi star aswell, they would be my ideal short selection (if you did a grow with all of them you would know alot more than many people here because there mainly overlooked)

whiskeytango420

There is only one king, god picks em, hand pluckes
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great thread idea man!K+ Wish I had you around 10 years ago...lol
good vibes

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Not smoked some Fruity Juice in a long while, when that was around it was my favourite bud. Stinky, tasty, and potent - ticked all the boxes!

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
yea most of the classic dutch strains are easily the best, not to pick on them but i bump into alot of canadians over in the dam bangin on about their strains but ive grown all the biggest names convinced that there must be gem in the bunch, ive found that generally there too big for one thing, all been bred outdoors by what looks like crossing sub standard parents of strains you dont want.

real real shame overgrow perished there werent any trolls in those days. K+

Status
Not open for further replies.