What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Male, Female, or Hermaphrodite?

Sunkist

Example 1:

Top flowers show female.
Next set of internodes shows balls with pistils developing. Calyx, male, or hermaphrodite?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Example 2:

Flowering female that has banana pods suddenly develop only some of the buds. Calyx's or hermaphrodite?

picture.php

picture.php

L

LolaGal

Example one: I don't see any balls.
Example two: My God, I never saw so many nanners on one herm!

lordbudly

Veteran
lola
look at the first set, and then below on the next node u see a couple nuts hanging down, second example omg i never seen so many nanners on one hermie!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. That is a full expression hermaphrodite.

Which strain ???

peace n love

rave420

or, you could just put it aside and let it produce seeds, as the seeds will be something like 75% female.

MickTheBrag

major banana balls on that one man. :yoinks:

heres a pic of my last hermi. its nevilles haze and by the way all five seeds i grew turned hermie on me after a couple of weeks showing just pistils.
so five beautiful ladies all dropped knakkers on me. :wallbash:

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 11

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing's for certain, that is not the work of a reputable breeder. Unless of course your grow is totally hosed.

or, you could just put it aside and let it produce seeds, as the seeds will be something like 75% female.
Yeah, let's perpetuate crap.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The clue is that true breeding females do not perpetuate hermaphrodites.
Just like breeding with a male and a female, if one or the other carries the hermy trait, breeding with them perpetuates this.
It makes no difference if you are collecting pollen from a male plant or a CS stressed plant, if the hermy trait is present, it can pass on to the progeny, or at least the mapping is continued and it gets carried on.

Stressing plants DOES NOT CAUSE HERMIES. But, if you have a plant with known hermie traits, by breeding with it those hermie genes are perpetuated...be it straight out breeding or by stressing a female for the male pollen.
A typical scenario would be for Joe Bloe to have 4-5 females. He decides he wants to stress one of the fems to get pollen. Thing is, he may have sister plants that all have the hermie trait waiting to show itself. One plant is stressed, and the pollen used to dust the other 4 females. Now, we have a hermie proned fem that was stressed to produce hermie prone pollen, that is now used to dust the hermie prone sisters..and viola! You have double hermie prone seeds... That would be why folks tend to see lots of hermies in fems...especially when they first became popular. There is simply a stampede to stress females, and no taking in of consideration if the plant is a true breeder and should be used or not. The very same thing as in straight up male/female breeding.

Irresponsible breeding, somewhere along the line, is why we saw the pics above in the first place.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
:yeahthats

Hoosier thanks for the clearly explained post above.

Also it could just be that you hae light leaks in your flower room. Of course then chances are that multiple plants will be herm.

southpaw

Does the above explanation hold for a male that starts kicking out female flowers? I.e., it is not a "true" male?

I've got one plant that clearly sexed as male, and then due to space limitations was placed outside, which in my case means it is only getting five hours of direct sunlight. I just wanted to keep it alive until it dropped some pollen. The top "cola" looks completely male, but there are one or two tiny pistils visible at the base of a few clusters of male flowers.

Sucks because it was a nice plant...

Latest posts

Latest posts