What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

16/12 cycle

P

purpledomgoddes

vaguely recall thread on og or cw that discussed 16/12 light cycles. 168/7=7(12/12) or 6(16/12). don't really recall the ends and out of the pros/cons of this strategy. just an interesting recollection of the vast data that was on og/cw. if any one has tried this/knows the pros/cons, please contribute.

think it gave more light-time while maintaining required dark period. maybe longer fruiting period as there would only be 6 full 12 hr dark periods in a 7 day (168 hr) week.

just throwing this out there for those that may have missed og/cw and the huge array of info they had.

Last edited:
P

purpledomgoddes

16/12+12/16 stats fwiw

16/12+12/16 stats fwiw

for what it is worth, in an 8 week (56 24hr periods) bloom cycle, the following are the differences w/ respect to the above:

standard 12/12
in 56 day/night 24hr periods:
7x24=168 total hrs per week
1x12=12hrs light per day
1x12=12hrs dark per day
7x12=84hrs light/dark per week
8x84=672hrs of light per 8 wk cycle
8x84=672hrs of dark per 8 wk cycle

16/12 cycle
6x(16/12)=168hrs per week
6x16=96hrs of light per 7 day calendar week
6x12=72hrs of dark per 7 day calendar week
96+72=168
8x96=768hrs of light per 8 week cycle
8x72=576hrs of dark per 8 week cycle

768-672=96 more hrs of light over an 8 wk period w/ 16/12
672-576=96 less hrs of dark over an 8 week period w/ 16/12

the standard 12 hr dark period is followed throughout w/ 16/12

12/16
how about 12 hrs of light w/ 16 hrs of dark? this will give:
6x12=72hrs of light per 168hr week
6x16=96hrs of dark per 168hr week

or

6x12x8=576hrs of light per 8 week bloom cycle
6x16x8=768hrs of dark per 8 week bloom cycle

768-672=96 more hours of dark per 8 week cycle w/ 12/16 than standard 12/12
768-576=192 more hours of dark than 16/12

P

purpledomgoddes

same as nute ppm numbers/ph numbers/par light numbers/plant numbers/cfm's/btu's/etc.
the vegetables+the gardener can proceed through the entire veg/bloom cycle w/out paying attention to any of the above numbers too. all relative.

just another method of manipulating the environ/chem react in the plant to suit desired result. or to experiment.

P

purpledomgoddes

more experiments...
uvb light turning on prior to other (mh/hps/flourescent/cmh) lights. turned off last - to promote them as primary chemical reactors (for desired result of greater sugar production in vegetables).
uvb accompanied by various party lights of different colors (spectrum/nm wavelength/par/etc) in and about area for increased spectral (wavelength/color) presence/possible absorption as par (very visible to plant {photosen act radi}) if even minimally, but effectively.

karo syrup...

quality sodas (w/out high fructose corn syrup)...

music (specifically hundreds/thousands beats per second/alternatively trance like toans/chants/ritualistic hymms/big eastern bell rung as in shoalin... try various frequencies+oscillations (mix up square waves w/ old vinyl records and play the cd to the vegetables... trance music... harmonics influence everything. even cancer cells have a crystilline structure that can be shattered at the resonant frequency - like glass. alter db's...

thoughts... thoughts are energy that is transmitted. if a human is in a bad mood in a room w/ another human, the bad mood human will be sensed/seen/observed/noted by the neutral (control) human. likewise will other living organisms, including vegetables sense such energy (thoughts)...

if electrodes were wired and a human cut/culled a plant, the other remaining plants would have an electro-chemical reaction to the same human upon entrance to the room... per readily available literature...

Last edited:
L

LolaGal

sounds silly, but I like to talk to my plants and encourage them to be girls by telling them I can clone them and they don't have to worry about sexual reproduction. Got 8 of 8 girls right now, guess I'm a lucky seed picker outer!

Orestes

Mmmm... I'm spending the weekend setting up my test cabinet which will ideally have two seperate flowering chambers, I'll see if I can't do some cross-comparison when I get some clones going. At the very least I can pop some speakers in there. I have a few albums of chanting tibetan llamas (Buddhist monk, not the mammal) that would be perfect.

P

purpledomgoddes

if root growth/stretch occurs in dark would not greater darkness w/ same light increase/max-out energy distribution?

if 16/12 is run for 4 wks then switched to 12/16 for last 4 wks would not the total light and dark periods be increased (manipulated) durng the same period of time (8 total wks)? while maintaining the required 12 hrs of dark?

Last edited:
has anyone tried this yet? because the plant is vegging and budding at the same time does that mean that you dont need to veg the plant and you can just grow it on that cycle from the beginning? would this give us a quicker harvest?

Standaman

Well i know it makes sense but i can't work it out, i promise i will look at this again when i have no Cheese in my lungs.

Nice post though for sure Purpledom

amoril

I came up with a similar idea a while back. I ran a 30 hour day (18/12) because the days would recycle evenly (as in, in 6 real days, I would perform 5 'days' worth of light cycling, or, I lose 1 night every 6 days).

result and conclusions drawn, simplified :

of 6 plants, all 6 females intersexed. After the light stress was removed, intersexing ceased, and normal flowering resumed, however the terpenoid cycle had been altered because smell was never strong and potency was lacking substantially on the final product.

so, the conclusion Ive drawn is that its NOT simply the dark hours that regulate flowering, but the ratio of light : dark. If youre on a short day, or a shortening day, the plant recognizes the ratio utilizing phytochrome variants, and grows accordingly.

P

purpledomgoddes

w/ 16/12, more veg growth in beginning of fruiting=more vegetative plant mass to bear desired fruit.

switched to 12/12 in about 10-14 days, have bigger plant and fruiting already commenced.

never tried 18/12.

standard week is 168 hours. 7x24=168.

in 168 hour week, get 6 days of 16 hours of light [(6x16=96)+(6x12=72)]=96+72=168.

have not attempted to do this regime thru entire cycle, only 2-4 weeks. then 12/12, then 10/14, 12/16, 8/16, depending.

kept mums are females. no intersexing. if show males parts, or not equipped for experiments, destroyed/pollen stored/crossed, etc. but not kept in garden if not durable, hardy plant that is true to sex; @ least 90% female.

disclaimer: may not be suitable for all gardens. can cause issues if not on the line/in control of environmentals+really know cultivar (plants).

do this w/ reg. timer - by hand, turning back to correct tabs daily. very doable w/ digi timer.

hope this helps. enjoy your garden.

montehierba

YIELDS ON 18-12 PROGRAM

YIELDS ON 18-12 PROGRAM

:joint: IS IT WORTHED TO ADD A 25%INCREASE ON MY POWER BILL?,THE WAY I LOOK AT IT, I BETTER GET ANOTHER HALF AN ELBOW PER LAMP SO I CAN FEEL COMFORTABLE:dueling:

L

LJB

pdg, fyi:

Koning, Ross E. 1994. Science Projects on Music and Sound. Plant Physiology Information Website. http://plantphys.info/music.shtml. (6-28-2009).

If plants don't have music appreciation, do they respond to sound?

It is possible for a plant to respond to the vibrations accompanying sounds. A short bibliography at the bottom of this page gives you some references...but to almost "nothing to report." I emphasize again that while there ARE responses to sound/vibration in plants, there is NO controlled study published on the MUSICAL TASTES or MUSIC APPRECIATION by plants in reputable journals.

One plant that responds to sound-induced vibration is Mimosa pudica, also known as the "sensitive plant." Vibrations induce electrical signals across the leaflets of this plant, and cells at the base of the leaflets respond to these action potentials osmotically. This response results in a sharp change in the turgor pressure in these pulvinus cells, and that pressure change, in turn, results in the folding of the blade at the pulvinus. Another pulvinus at the base of the petiole may also respond if the vibration is severe enough. This kind of response is known as seismonasty.

How would this plant respond in terms of growth if its leaves were kept closed by constant vibration? If you think very long about photosynthesis in leaves as the driving force for growth, you will realize that continuous leaflet closure would inhibit rather than stimulate the growth of the plant. Indeed loud sounds (vibrations really) have been reported to negatively impact plant growth (reference below).

P

purpledomgoddes

pdg, fyi:

Koning, Ross E. 1994. Science Projects on Music and Sound. Plant Physiology Information Website. http://plantphys.info/music.shtml. (6-28-2009).
not relevant to 16/12 light cycle, but there is published research on plants' response to sound waves.

the secret life of plants. good book on alternative experiments/research.

sound waves affect everything. nothing that exists is really in isolation.

there are 'non-leth.l' w.apons based on sound waves, extremely bright lights, etc.
an environment that smells pleasing will be populated faster than an environ that smells displeasing.
loud, screeching sounds are avoided, whereas pleasant sounds are gravitated towards.

dont really need book to verify that pleasant environments are condicuive to life thriving. if music/sounds are pleasing to plants, then they are beneficial. no loss.

no living organism can deny being moved by the power of a good song. whatever your particular tastes are. your plants are bred to thrive in your particular environment. those that make the cut have adapted to and like the gardener's selection of music.:smile:

L

LJB

No idea why I posted that sound wave information to this thread.

Anyways, back to your topic. Have you tried 8/12 for pre-flower and/or 18/14 for flowering?

This quote is from another forum. Haven't tried either yet myself.

2 week pre-flower:

8 daylength / 12 nightlength = 20 hour photoperiod

-8 daylength hours is fewest daylength hours a cannabis plant requires for growth/photosynthesis without detrimental effects. This is important to control the height of cannabis during preflower stretch and to shorten the preflower period from bout 12 real days to about 9-10 real days.

-Cannabis is a long-night plant; that is it flowers due to long uninturupted darkness, not short daylength. Using 12 hours insure flowering.

-The photoperiod (sum hours of daylength and nightlength) is not set in Cannabis spp.; cadian rhythm is not genetically coded. The "critical" nightlength is the determining factor.

Flowering:

18 hour daylength / 14 hour nightlength

-Longer daylength allows for more photosynthesis and increased growth/yield.

-According to Robert Nelson in "Hemp Husbandry", extra long nightlengths will speed up maturation; this helps offset the increased time to maturation from increased daylength.

-According to knna, his friend who is a Spanish cannabis grow book author claims 18/14 is ideal. He supposedly did much testing of different daylengths and nightlenths to maximize cannabis yield while shortening the associated increase in maturation time frame. I am going to test 18/16 soon to see if the flowering time frame is lowered even more...