What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bee line lighter strings

JohnnyATL

Veteran
So anyways i went out on a quest today for some bee line string. If your not familiar with the product, its a butane alternative made from hemp string and wax. its similar to a candle except its wrapper around some recycled cardboard, and it eliminates all butane fumes, taste, and health risk associated with them.

so anyways, I went to 3 headshops in little 5 points, and none carried them.
I was kinda bummed because i woke up and was excited about trying them out.

SOOOO after i cant find them, i go home and spark a bowl and look online at the website and all the sudden the cogs started turning and i decided to just make my own. I took some hemp necklace string and a candle and pretty much covered the string with wax and then i made a cool little cardboard holder for it and voila!

It works perfect to btw :rasta:

SpoCannabis

http://www.beelinehawaii.com/ - a good buddy of mine moved to Maui and knows them quite well. They are all really cool and have hooked us up on bulk orders. Lemme just say this is probably the best smoking invention since the vaporizer...oh yeah, i went there! ;-) :smoker:

Only problem is I doubt your hemp is organic, and whatever you got from the candle - who knows about that wax...

Last edited:

bleezie

hope you used organic beeswax. i went on a quest yesterday to a few shops yesterday trying to find it too! and i wasnt able to find it. ended up smokin the high end herbs with the good ol toxic butane lighter...

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You guys seem to like the Beeline, which is cool, to each their own. But I'm going to quote myself from another thread about bee line, cause I feel like some counterpoint is needed.

Mr. Bongjangles said:
Bee line is like smoking with a candle. You can definitely taste it in the hit and smell it when you extinguish the flame. Unpleasant, and I will stick with my trusty bic.

It's also awkward to hold and light your bong at the same time, as it is occupying a hand you've probably become used to having free to remove a slide or whatever.

Anyways, the people who make it are really nice and will send you a sample if you email them and ask. I strongly recommend anyone interested do so before plunking down cash for it.

So yea I really didn't care for it at all. Free sample is definitely the way to go if it still sounds like something you'd like to try.

Get a "Phedor" or a ceramic tipped soldering iron (which is basically the same thing for less) if you really want to light your cannabis without any extra taste or smell, imo. Glass wands or solar hits will get you there too.

SpoCannabis

Sorry Mr. B, but I'm gonna be a bit defensive here to do your lack of thinking. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that 1) you don't have to extinguish the flame after every hit... you CAN let it burn lol, it burns slow, specially if you use the better thick wick BeeLine. 2) with that said, if you do still decided to "extinguish" it, common sense would tell you NOT to inhale the smoke coming from the BeeLine. Rather...take your hit, THEN blow out the BeeLine... 3) Why are you trying to juggle 3 items with two hands?!?!? c'mon man...work SMART, not HARD.

In terms of taste, NOTHING compares to smoking with a BeeLine. Unless of course you have gotten used to, and enjoy the taste of butane.

JohnnyATL

Veteran
I dont think the wick is that hard to work with, but then again i smoke alot of blunts so its only one light.

I could see how a heating element could be better though than the burning materials in bee line.

Bee line is tight tho, even though im using my homemade version haha

RooR HeaD

Before carefull man useing random wax like that alot of big issues are coming to face now about yankee candel and many others. that their wax is giving off alot of dangerous carcinigins excuse my spelling and can over time give u serious lung problems and so fourth. but i have ryed the bee line and it a great product the taste is alot beter then butane but overall the best tool ive used is the glow rods or whatever their called! its a glass rod with a ball on the end u heat the glass ball with a tourch then touch it to your weed no chemicals involved at all just a hot glass ball lighting your weed! and u will get the best taste out of your weed that way!

chicalyx

SpoCannabis said:
In terms of taste, NOTHING compares to smoking with a BeeLine. Unless of course you have gotten used to, and enjoy the taste of butane.

I guarantee that a torch lighter (filled w/clean gas) held a couple inches away has less effect on taste than beeline. Hot air VS. dried hemp twine with wax. Common sense will tell ya which is 'cleaner'. Not trying to knock the line, and haven't tried it, but ya... hemps good for a lot of things, smoking not being one of them.

Hakko/phedor will also provide a 'pure' hit, but I find em impractical compared to a trusty torch.

SpoCannabis

chicalyx said:
I guarantee that a torch lighter (filled w/clean gas) held a couple inches away has less effect on taste than beeline. Hot air VS. dried hemp twine with wax. Common sense will tell ya which is 'cleaner'. Not trying to knock the line, and haven't tried it, but ya... hemps good for a lot of things, smoking not being one of them.

Hakko/phedor will also provide a 'pure' hit, but I find em impractical compared to a trusty torch.

Lol it is the same principal...hot air... trust me no matter what type of gas you are burning, it will leave trace elements. I'll agree to disagree with you ;-). BTW, if you want to talk "pure" hits...there is only 2 - vapes and solar hits

Last edited:

chicalyx

With ya on the vape n solar. Though I'm far too lazyass a smoker to ever do the solar thing. Probably same reason the line doesn't really appeal to me.

SpoCannabis

Lol...I don't blame ya bro hehe. I REALLY had to train myself to use it. I guess I just also like the idea of smoking cannabis, with cannabis also. Solar bowling ONLY works if you have a good sunny day and a good magnifying glass lol.

Word bro. Peace ;-) :smoker:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SpoCannabis said:
Sorry Mr. B, but I'm gonna be a bit defensive here to do your lack of thinking.

My lack of thinking? You disrespectful fool.

I came to the conclusions I stated after using Bee Line for about a week.

How about your lack of objectivity? You're saying its the best thing since vaporizors.. Get real LOL!

SpoCannabis said:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that 1) you don't have to extinguish the flame after every hit... you CAN let it burn lol, it burns slow, specially if you use the better thick wick BeeLine.

Who cares? When you extinguish it, however often you do so, your room will smell like it does when you blow out a candle, straight up.

That smell is gross, and unless you want to get used to it every time you're done with a session, you can forget about beeline.

SpoCannabis said:
2) with that said, if you do still decided to "extinguish" it, common sense would tell you NOT to inhale the smoke coming from the BeeLine. Rather...take your hit, THEN blow out the BeeLine...

Who said anything about inhaling the smoke coming from the Bee Line... I just don't want it stinking up my room.

See man, your post makes it clear you think I'm some kind of idiot, but the truth is you're blinded by your ridiculously positive opinion.

SpoCannabis said:
3) Why are you trying to juggle 3 items with two hands?!?!? c'mon man...work SMART, not HARD.

With Bee Line, you're forced to do so unless you're OK with putting the lit beeline on your desk or floor, which from personal experience is unwise because the lit bee line is unstable.

You CANNOT just put it down like a bic lighter, you have to be all careful and have a spot cleared and whatnot... Its ridiculous.

SpoCannabis said:

That is your opinion.. In my experienced opinion, the BeeLine does leave a taste, and it is gross. As I said, its like smoking with a candle, which is straight up as gross as it sounds.

I never tasted butane before anyways.. That sounds like a bunch of bs from the Bee Line people actually, just like their list of health problems supposedly caused by using a butane lighter.

Trust that a briefly lit bic lighter will spark up your bowl or bong without leaving a nasty taste behind, especially compared to a piece of cardboard or hemp covered in scented wax.

bleezie

you can have a candle around so it'll be easier to relight for the next hit. i remember having to relight it each time with a bic, lol, twas a biatch. and as for the beeline extinguishing, you should try having an ashtray around or something you can just stamp the wick out on. it does seem to have a candle like smell when burnt out, but i think its not as strong as a real candle wick. personally, i believe this is a better alternative than butane lighters.

Anghellic

After 3 packs heres my opinion

All of my friends loved it for pipe bowls, tastes quite a difference than with a bic. I noticed smoother bong hits too. There is without a doubt a taste difference than with a bic. While it is still not as smooth as solar hits with a magnifying glass which is the best i have found, it still tastes better than the standard bic. You can easily wrap the Bee Line around your lighter and it will hold, just tie one end onto it wrap and your set, actually more convenient in my opinion than constantly flicking a wheel, you can easily put the lighter between two fingers and still use it to pull bowls or even set it down. If you are stupid enough to burn yourself with this stuff, you should not carry it and stop smoking weed. Also don't let someone tell you its hard to put out, shake it/blow on it and its gone. Really now think of it.

I have thought of hakkos and other options, but imaging constantly finding an empty electrical socket every time you want to smoke, reaching behind the sofa etc... Seems like something i would get sick of pretty fast when i need a quick rip. The Bee Line is always attached to my lighter.

I really like this stuff. Sure its a bit more of a hassle to get ahold of because there isnt a pack at every single gas station like bics. I think the health benefits of less butane intake is well worth it.

Also remember that there is no flint metal flying into your bowl, many people light there bics next to the bowl. You can look up what a flint is composed of its not to nice, ill pass.

Mr bojangles maybe you dont like it maybe your not fire smart or something but dont insult people and preach your opinions with such force, its really not nearly as much of a struggle to use as you make it sound to be, plus im not sure what this smell is your freaking out over, all i can ever smell is my homegrown burnin. Dunno maybe it just comes easier to me :rasta:

Last edited:

bleezie

Anghellic said:
Also remember that there is no flint metal flying into your bowl, many people light there bics next to the bowl. You can look up what a flint is composed of its not to nice, ill pass.

:rasta:

talking of flint. i learned a few new things from wiki today...

"Called "flint," ferrocerium is also used in many cigarette lighters."

"A modern ferrocerium firesteel product is composed mostly of iron, combined with an alloy of rare earth metals called mischmetal (containing approximately 50% cerium, 45% lanthanum, and small amounts of neodymium and praseodymium), plus a small amount of magnesium."

"Fumes from cerium fires are toxic."

"While cerium is not radioactive, the impure commercial grade may contain traces of thorium, which is radioactive."

"Lanthanum has a low to moderate level of toxicity, and should be handled with care."

so all of you who who light your bics right over your bowl, stop it! just light it like few inches away and then put the flame over your bowl. then you'll just have to worry about the butane, lol. i'm talking to those of you who has crackling bowls...

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bleezie said:
you can have a candle around so it'll be easier to relight for the next hit. i remember having to relight it each time with a bic, lol, twas a biatch. and as for the beeline extinguishing, you should try having an ashtray around or something you can just stamp the wick out on. it does seem to have a candle like smell when burnt out, but i think its not as strong as a real candle wick. personally, i believe this is a better alternative than butane lighters.

Yeah man, I'm not sure if it is as bad as a regular candle... Just blew some out to be sure and it was definitely gross, kinda like a normal candle blown out with a hint of pumpkin. If I had to choose between traditional candle blow out smell and Bee Line blow out smell, I'd prolly choose the Bee Line.

Its nothing I want around every time I smoke trees, that is for sure.

To each their own though, thanks for not being crazy disrespectful like these other cats even though we disagree.

Anghellic said:
You can easily wrap the Bee Line around your lighter and it will hold, just tie one end onto it wrap and your set, actually more convenient in my opinion than constantly flicking a wheel, you can easily put the lighter between two fingers and still use it to pull bowls or even set it down. If you are stupid enough to burn yourself with this stuff, you should not carry it and stop smoking weed. Also don't let someone tell you its hard to put out, shake it/blow on it and its gone. Really now think of it.

Who said it was hard to put out? Just not convenient to do so in the middle of a bong rip.

But no, you don't want the smoke in your face that results from putting out the Bee Line before you take the bong hit, so blowing it out while in your hand isn't the best option, and will also get ashes all over your desk or floor.

I JUST tried this to be sure I'm not remembering things wrong - the stuff burns like an incense stick when you blow it out.

Shaking it will make the already burnt Bee Line ashes go all over your desk and floor also, but with even less control. Don't you see how inconvenient it is to have to do that in the middle of taking a toke? I would prefer to leave it lit and blow it out after taking the rip, but that isn't the point, its that either way you've got some extra bs to deal with. Its not worth it to me in the least, especially for some product that stinks up my room and makes my rips taste like they were lit with, well, a piece of burning string.

If you tuck it in your fingers, when you go to remove the slide from the bong, you're just stuck waving around a burning piece of string, which got old fast. Never said it was the end of the world or impossible, just was not worth doing when I perceive no benefit from using it. It's just annoying to have to deal with this burning piece of rope every every time you toke, imo.

Hey if that's how you like to roll, fine, just don't act like I'm stupid because I found the same methodology inconvenient, which is the explicit tone of your response.

I actually got used to hitting the bong with it on the desk so I could have 2 hands free... That was the easier way to do it for me, and speaks to how ridiculous it is to use, with a bong at least.

I never burned myself with the stuff either, but that's because I had to be careful every time I used it... If you decide to get some, prepare to add an extra level of caution to your routine, or you WILL have a situation eventually.

Anghellic said:
I really like this stuff. Sure its a bit more of a hassle to get ahold of because there isnt a pack at every single gas station like bics. I think the health benefits of less butane intake is well worth it.

Can you document for us the health risks of combusted butane?

I think that is a bunch of BS that you're repeating but cannot back up.

Perhaps you should research just what Butane turns into when it is combusted before you go running off at the mouth.

Anghellic said:

What, do you think people are grinding their lighter flints over the bowl?

All this Bee Line "benefit" seems based around the idea that people are not using lighters properly in the first place.

I swear you and Spo sound like straight up Bee Line salesmen with this stuff and the way you get so up in arms about my opinion.

Anghellic said:
Mr bojangles maybe you dont like it maybe your not fire smart or something but dont insult people and preach your opinions with such force, its really not nearly as much of a struggle to use as you make it sound to be, plus im not sure what this smell is your freaking out over, all i can ever smell is my homegrown burnin. Dunno maybe it just comes easier to me :rasta:

Yea I must not be fire smart. Your post is as insulting as can be without devolving into outright name calling, so how dare you tell me "don't insult people" when all I did was defend my respectfully given opinion.

For the record, my first post was mad laid back. Made it clear I don't care for the stuff and why and was real chill about it.

Then Spo came along and wants to act like my opinions are those of some kind of idiot who didn't understand how to use the stuff, when in fact he can't even read properly, so I was forced to lay out my opinion with a bit more clarity.

As for the smell it leaves afterward, well I'm not the only one saying it does that, so I guess your nose just isn't working properly or you're denying the truth. Thanks for saying I'm "freaking out" over it when I simply pointed out it does leave an unpleasant odor much like a candle does when blown out.

Its pretty unreal how you and Spo can't stand the idea that someone else found Bee Line unpleasant and awkward to use.

Your milage may vary as they say, but you've no right to act like my take on the matter isn't thought out and based on personal experience.

C

cbf

Sorry Mr. B, but I'm gonna be a bit defensive here to do your lack of thinking. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that 1) you don't have to extinguish the flame after every hit... you CAN let it burn lol, it burns slow, specially if you use the better thick wick BeeLine. 2) with that said, if you do still decided to "extinguish" it, common sense would tell you NOT to inhale the smoke coming from the BeeLine. Rather...take your hit, THEN blow out the BeeLine... 3) Why are you trying to juggle 3 items with two hands?!?!? c'mon man...work SMART, not HARD.

Sound like a shill amigo..Beesline doesn't keep a steady flame, I rarely can torch all the herb without a bit of an effort and by then, my breath is gone...
OK idea, but hype just like the clear papers. I'll stick with the handy bic for now. I had a phedor, not practical and dangerously hot. Solar hits are best, but not practical.
I guess convenience and functionality still haven't been beat by the lighter. at least you can get a refillable lighter and add refined butane for less crappy taste..

SpoCannabis

Mr. Bongjangles said:
Can you document for us the health risks of combusted butane?

Here is just a little info on butane gas...there is a WEALTH of information on the web about the health risks...

Neurotoxic Effects from Butane Gas

Acute Intoxication
Because butane gas inhalants enter through the pulmonary system, they immediately enter into the blood supply and within seconds produce intoxication. The acute effects of inhalants include dizziness, hypertension (increased blood pressure), tachycardia (increased heart rate), impaired coordination, disorientation, temporal distortion, confusion, thick slurred speech, delirium, hallucinations, assaults and suicide attempts. Depending upon the inhalant, recovery may take minutes to hours or may not occur at all. Single episode use can be fatal because of oxygen displacement from red blood cells, hypoxia and asphyxiation. Victims of pulmonary effects are often found with a paper bag over the head.

Profound relaxation and deep sleep usually follow the initial euphoric phase.Unpleasant symptoms reported after the use of inhalants include agitation, seizures, ataxia, headache, and dizziness.

Chronic Effects
Chronic inhalant abuse destroys motor neurons that send commands from the brain to the hands and feet. As these motor neurons fail, varying degrees of motor impairment result, including a decreased ability to perform manual and mental tasks. For example, toluene vapors produce high levels of this lipid soluble chemical, particularly in the brain. Toluene abusers present symptoms of motor uncoordination, fatigue, mental impairment, and increasingly greater degrees of permanent central nervous system damage. Most inhalants produce some degree of hepatotoxicity (liver damage). Halogenated hydrocarbons, such as freon, cause severe hepatotoxicity.

Some inhalants change cardiac physiology and increase the risk for cardiac failure. For example,butane (from cigarette lighters), freon (from aerosol propellants) and toluene (from glues) hypersensitize cardiac cells to norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates cardiac contractions. Inhalants interfere with the transport of oxygen by interfering with the binding or release of oxygen by red blood cells. The resulting hypoxia also causes cardiac cell hypersensitivity to norepinephrine. Norepinephrine sensitivity and hypoxia can cause cardiac muscles to defibrillate or begin contracting randomly. A syndrome called Sudden Sniffing Death (SSD) occurs without warning, and discontinuation of breathing the inhalant does not reverse the sequence of events. Victims of SSD often appear to sense that something is wrong, and run away from the source or site where they were inhaling, before collapsing and dying.

Neurotoxic Effects
Permanent cerebral and cerebellar neurological disability is the most well known toxic effect of chronic inhalant abuse. Long-term abusers are at significant risk for a neurological syndrome consisting of memory loss, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance, depression, anxiety, and personality changes. Permanent cognitive disorders are also well described in patients who chronically sniff gasoline. Long term occupational chemical exposure (e.g., painters) may result in the development of cerebral atrophy and abnormal EEGs.

Chronic abuse of n-hexane and nitrous oxide are well known to cause peripheral neurological deficits including profound sensorimotor polyneuropathy (n-hexane) and a demyelinating polyneuropathy and extremity weakness (nitrous oxide), which appears to be related to the inactivation of vitamin B12, an important cofactor in many necessary biochemical reactions.

Inhalation of leaded gasoline increases the risk for neurological complications from organic lead poisoning. These include mental confusion, poor short-term memory, psychosis, and encephalopathy. Symptoms of inorganic lead poisoning (headache, abdominal pain, hepatic injury, renal damage) have also been reported in patients who chronically inhale gasoline.

Animal and human research shows that most inhalants are extremely toxic. Perhaps the most
significant toxic effect of chronic exposure to inhalants is widespread and long-lasting damage to
the brain and other parts of the nervous system. For example, both animal research and human
pathological studies indicate that chronic abuse of volatile solvents such as toluene damages the
protective sheath around certain nerve fibers in the brain and peripheral nervous system. This
extensive destruction of nerve fibers is clinically similar to that seen with neurological diseases
such as multiple sclerosis.

The neurotoxic effects of prolonged inhalant abuse include neurological syndromes that reflect
damage to parts of the brain involved in controlling cognition, movement, vision, and hearing.
Cognitive abnormalities can range from mild impairment to severe dementia. Other effects can
include difficulty coordinating movement, spasticity, and loss of feeling, hearing, and vision.
Inhalants also are highly toxic to other organs. Chronic exposure can produce significant damage
to the heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys. Although some inhalant-induced damage to the nervous
and other organ systems may be at least partially reversible when inhalant abuse is stopped,
many syndromes caused by repeated or prolonged abuse are irreversible.
Abuse of inhalants during pregnancy also may place infants and children at increased risk of
developmental harm. Animal studies designed to simulate human patterns of inhalant abuse
suggest that prenatal exposure to toluene or trichlorethylene (TCE) can result in reduced birth
weights, occasional skeletal abnormalities, and delayed neurobehavioral development. A number
of case reports note abnormalities in newborns of mothers who chronically abuse solvents, and
there is evidence of subsequent developmental impairment in some of these children. However,
no well-controlled, prospective study of the effects of prenatal exposure to inhalants in humans
has been conducted, and it is not possible to link prenatal exposure to a specific chemical to a
specific birth defect or developmental problem.

References
Brick, J. (1998). Inhalants, Technical Document No. 3. Yardley, PA: Intoxikon International.

Broussard, L. (1999). Inhalants. In B. Levine (Ed.). Principles of forensic toxicology (pp 345-353). Washington: American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

Kolecki, P and Shih, R. (2003). Inhalant abuse. In J. Brick (Ed.). Handbook of the medical consequences of alcohol and drug abuse (pp 579-607). New York: Haworth Medical Press.

Latest posts

Latest posts