What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's all snake oil except for your base nutes and micos

PDX Dopesmoker

Sure, you need a good A/B with micros, like floraduo, but everything else is bullshit imo, and I've tried EVERYTHING. All of remos line, KISS, everything under the sun.

Getting your environment with CO2 perfect (along with PH) trumps any bs you dump in the soil, including "bennies". It's all bullshit to make you buy more shit you don't need. That's my opinion after trying everything under the sun for over a decade. (Shwazzing and spreading is very effective too)

If you strongly disagree, what's the one nute/fert that REALLY helped your yield that I haven't mentioned?

Foliar sulphur has increased my outdoor yields dramatically, because it kills russet mites. BT is another great spray-on nutrient for increased yields outdoors. Foliar application of dry diatomaceous earth is also worth mentioning for anyone interested in big healthy outdoor pot plants.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I have to spread some reputation around before giving more to xavier7995. ;)
I feel the analogy is very appropriate for the discussion. :D

maryjanesdad

Placebo effect???? Of you think you're adding something that you believe is beneficial for the plant it'll work and vice versa. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of like GH vs a fancier brand.

My very first grow like 2005 I used maxi grow/bloom and hand watered them....i have one guy to this day says that was my best crop lol.

bushed

When I grew in coco I only ever used A+B tried most of the big brands, my weed was good but still didnt taste quite right to me, always had an after taste, as life got busy mixing nutes and correcting ph became a massive chore.

During this time I learned to grow food organically outside, providing my chickens with green and brown plant waste to create soil. It was easy and it worked. One day I thought screw it and filled my pots with the out door soil instead of coco. Plain water same as outside no tea's no ph'ing. The flavours and smells went through the roof, went from growing anyman weed to legendary, average strains popped and loud strains stunk out the neighbourhood.

So in my eyes its all bullshit, I understand that hydroponic nutrient delivery is essential for commercial food production and that some people enjoy working with the science behind nutrients. For the rest of us just stick the plant in some soil and put your feet up.

Douglas.Curtis

When I grew in coco I only ever used A+B tried most of the big brands, my weed was good but still didnt taste quite right to me, always had an after taste, as life got busy mixing nutes and correcting ph became a massive chore.

During this time I learned to grow food organically outside, providing my chickens with green and brown plant waste to create soil. It was easy and it worked. One day I thought screw it and filled my pots with the out door soil instead of coco. Plain water same as outside no tea's no ph'ing. The flavours and smells went through the roof, went from growing anyman weed to legendary, average strains popped and loud strains stunk out the neighbourhood.

So in my eyes its all bullshit, I understand that hydroponic nutrient delivery is essential for commercial food production and that some people enjoy working with the science behind nutrients. For the rest of us just stick the plant in some soil and put your feet up.
Thank you for this. :)

Great example of why most growers shouldn't be running hydro, because the mistakes come through very clearly in the end flavor. :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I dig a little hole, drop a cup of kelp, chicken pellets, and stuff in it. A couple weeks later I plant.

In other spots I dig a hole and that's it. You'd be surprised how well they do in the wild.

The only spots that really stand out had lawn fertilizer broadcasted early summer. This year I'm going to top with MAP or DAP. All stuff from the local farm co-op where a 5lb bag of potash (muriate) costs $2.

Douglas.Curtis

I don't recommend AG quality nutes with cannabis, because it's much too efficient at concentrating things like heavy metals and <insert amazing list of things here>...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't recommend AG quality nutes with cannabis, because it's much too efficient at concentrating things like heavy metals and <insert amazing list o f things here>...

The biggest plants I ever grew were in a cornfield with heat activated N the farmer put on the field before planting.

justwatchin

I find this is a tough one... it depends on what your shooting for...

The richest most complete natural flavors I've ever had were from a combination of botanicare pro grow and bloom in flower, once a week I would do AACT with beanies molasses and the very next day bubble brew superbat yellow label from week 3-7 on a 10weeker... plants didn't look the best but best flavor to date, tasted all the fruity nuances, or any possible flavor the strains had to offer all the way to the end of the joint..

Strongest most complex(depth and purity) with longest lasting high (only way I can describe the improvement for someone that knows is from 2 dementional to 3 dementional depth to the high) to date rezipe cut down to 4/6, with 1/4 koolbloom dry, light supplemented with reptisun 10 UVA not B every square foot for 4hrs mid cycle on a 11/13 cycle. plants looked grossly underfed by end of cycle but did something to really concentrate the trichs by not allowing enough potassium for the swell.

If I'm commercial, a very nice acceptable combination of both worlds for me were Jack's hydro & calnit...not at the recommendations all over the boards either... twas 2grams, 2grams Jack's, 1g epson for bag n first 2weeks... then bump Jack's to 2.5 for finish, boost 3 times in flower end of week 2 with preferably pekacid or map, wk 5 and 6 one day jacks at 3.5, foliar with boron and molybdenum once a week, AACT once a week that gave me my best results in looks, yield and about 2/3 the flavor of my best tasting crop I've ever had.

All done in coco indoors since 2005 same strains... SSH, HappyBrother BX1, chemdawg IBL, bangi haze F6, lots of other sativas, many hybrids ect ect..

justwatchin

I'm of the simple opinion that nothing can be fed in excess and everything has to be fed at the right time to give you your best product. Foliar feeding and boosting individual micros as experiments constantly over all this time I've come to the very sharp realization that you can really manipulate smell, flavor, and high of a clone simply by manipulating each individual nutrient(macro and micro), and environment, not by overfeeding like an alarming majority of people do on these boards.

N definitely agree with OP large majority of marketed products is bullshit

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

I'm of the simple opinion that nothing can be fed in excess and everything has to be fed at the right time to give you your best product. Foliar feeding and boosting individual micros as experiments constantly over all this time I've come to the very sharp realization that you can really manipulate smell, flavor, and high of a clone simply by manipulating each individual nutrient(macro and micro), and environment, not by overfeeding like an alarming majority of people do on these boards.

N definitely agree with OP large majority of marketed products is bullshit
Well put, thank you! :D

mexweed

Veteran
I'm not gonna use the fulvic/humic supplement or the microbes this round and see what's up

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Spoke to a cousin farmer. He said he also sprays gibberellic acid on silage corn crops when they're young in early spring. Plants produce it on their own but only once it gets hotter. The GA makes the stalk and internodal stretch. They don't get more corn, but the tonnage goes way up.

BillFarthing

Veteran
i add fulvic powder first, then agsil16(silica), then jacks, calnit and im done

just ordered some soluble seaweed/kelp and mpk for flower and will try those out

customhydro nutrients is really awesome, i get my calnit local really cheap and order jacks thru amazon, everything else i get thru custom

Ferti-Organic is a good company for their biostimulants. That said, they use outdated V&B testing for their fulvic to inflate the numbers. Their "90%" powder tested at 13% using modern LAMAR/ISO standards. As a comparison, Ful-Power is 8% V&B, 0.15% LAMAR/ISO.

mexweed

Veteran
the reason I'm cutting the supplement is because I think with the vitamin c I ph the water with and the humics already in the soil and what I amend it with, it becomes overkill and potentially acidifies the rootzone

there is some sort of harshness that my buds end up with even when I flush good and they burn good etc, based off the smells of my inputs the fulvic/humic supplement definitely smells like it could be responsible, the microbes too I think may funk up the balance of the other microbes that were thriving previously before the addition

I know the fulvic/humic is supposed to help break down and make nutrients available and the microbes are supposed to produce more phosphorus, but what about the microbes that were already doing that, like at what point is there just too much stuff getting broken down and it becomes a less than ideal source for the roots to feed from

Dkeppel

Dude the title of your thread said all there needs to be said.

Go buy any cheap powdered hydroponic nutrient that's commonly used by all commerical hydroponic farmers and it has everything any plant will ever need, can be used on all mediums etc.

BillFarthing

Veteran
Dude the title of your thread said all there needs to be said.

Go buy any cheap powdered hydroponic nutrient that's commonly used by all commerical hydroponic farmers and it has everything any plant will ever need, can be used on all mediums etc.

For the most part, your statement is true. Coco requires more Calcium and magnesium, less K. RO water requires calcium and magnesium carbonates for buffering, 50-100ppm.

Douglas.Curtis

there is some sort of harshness that my buds end up with even when I flush good and they burn good etc, based off the smells of my inputs the fulvic/humic supplement definitely smells like it could be responsible, the microbes too I think may funk up the balance of the other microbes that were thriving previously before the addition
You'll find the same thing with an amazing number of additives, amendments and nutrients.

What's happening is the plant has more available than it can process, so it packs the excess away for you to enjoy later at harvest time. Yum!!!! (gack!)

This would be almost correct for nearly any vegetable, unfortunately it's dangerous advice for cannabis.

Cannabis is an accumulator plant, which means you need to use CLEAN nutrients. Cannabis will quickly pull the heavy metals and other toxins out of your average 'dirty' AG nutrients. Cadmium especially.

Please use clean sources of nutrition for your cannabis.
:tiphat:

Absolem

Cannabis will quickly pull the heavy metals and other toxins out of your average 'dirty' AG nutrients. Cadmium especially.

Please use clean sources of nutrition for your cannabis.
:tiphat:

Have to disagree with ya on the AG products. Majority of cannabis fertilizer companies buy their salts from two main companies. Hafia and Yara. These two companies have some of the cleanest salts out there and are what most farmers use. On all the tests I've seen they come in cleaner then any cannabis company out there.

Here's a House and Garden video at one of their manufacturing plants. Pause the video between 21-27 seconds and you will see the Yara fertilizer company label on the dosatrons measuring the amount of fertilizer needed for the House and Garden products.

[YOUTUBEIF]loqnINUMgmk[/YOUTUBEIF]

mexweed

Veteran
so are water only 'super soil' recipes guaranteed accumulation of excess? because when there is enough juice in an up-pot for flowering to bulk a plant out for 8 weeks there is certainly excess for a smaller plant just coming out of veg, I don't see it using all of the nitrogen, we've all seen the organic soil plants with deep dark green fan leaves and the slightly burnt tips late in flower