What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Cheap Mass Cloner

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Head, I just checked out your product over at the Boutique. Killer strain! Impresive genes too! I'm sure their clone friendly. Alright, I got to start reading this entire thread, goodnight bro.....

mpro

roots roots roots

roots roots roots

All you need is time. this was a little over a month. They would have been ready for transplant after 2 weeks, however I was only learning how to clone, not really needing the clones.

6605Picture_014.jpg

peace all, mp. Thanks again greatful! :yes: :yes: :yes: if you are ever in the mile hi city, and wanna get higher...pm me.

daltron

awsome cloning system

awsome cloning system

my oh my how time fly's...
I just realized that I've been using your system for a whole year now and have sahred same with a lot of people....... THANKS for sharing this great simple system that works!!!! this set up has saved quite a few pheno's that would have otherwise been lost
thanks again daltron

bostrom155

Home depot has the huge bag of perlite for 10 bucks, I'm getting one and putting it in a tote. The hell with those little 3 dollar bags

G

daltron said:
my oh my how time fly's...
I just realized that I've been using your system for a whole year now and have sahred same with a lot of people....... THANKS for sharing this great simple system that works!!!! this set up has saved quite a few pheno's that would have otherwise been lost
thanks again daltron
Happy anniversary...
I'm happy this simple thread has helped so many...:D
Clone on...

bilgeweed

Thank You--- this method works so well and is just too simple.

I couldn't find the fiberglass TiKi wicks and bought plain cotton wicks
for patio torches. (looks like a loosley made rope) Folks- don't waist your
time with these - they DO NOT WORK ! Just do not wick at all ???
I found that small pieces of rolled up cotton (t-shirt) worked very well.
Zero cost and can be tossed when firished. I'm at 100% on my first
go around- Thanks again

loosely fitted dome, 2 inches below 2-20W floro tubes, 80* medium
10 days later- 2" roots- impressed

Bilgeweed

Last edited:

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Grat3fulH3ad said:
Sort of a complicated answer for a simple question, but hey, I'm kinda high...

Im adding that to my sig

TokenBlackGuy

i have built this cloner and used them for cloning but i also have been using this setup with a smaller tupperware to keep my rapid rooters moist.. it works great..
i have gotten clones to root in this setup 75% of the time but i always had a hard time digging them out and losing roots... So what i have been doing it waiting until they get a few little roots and then putting them in a rapidrooter and then placing them back in the wick cloner because it doesnt seem like my clones can take going from water roots to soil roots easily..

TokenBlackGuy

ALso im experimenting with cuttings straight to rapidrooters and into the wick cloner.. so far no roots have showed in a week but ill post my result when i get them...

mpro

FYI: You can just place the cuttings in fresh tapwater. they will be ready to go 1-3weeks. You don't need a lot of light either.

TokenBlackGuy

mpro said:
FYI: You can just place the cuttings in fresh tapwater. they will be ready to go 1-3weeks. You don't need a lot of light either.

was that directed at me?
Anyways how much light do you use for clones?... i currently use a 7 watt tube flouro thats covers a 20inch by 7in and a 1 inch from the plants...is that too little or two much?

mpro

yeah, and anyone really, incase it was not known that plants will root in plain water, given time.

I don't know what optimum lighting would be, however I had success with the cfl's one 14w one 43w 40 inches from the cuttings. Been there 10 days. I'm not going for speed here, as I'm still 30+ days from harvest, and want to get these girls in around then. So water, far away from the light should provide that. The first batch was on top of a 5gal bucket, so only about 10-15 inches from light.

6605DSCN1283-thumb.JPG

dc105

ICMag Donor
I tried this way of cloning and got 0 results. Instead, I ended up geting some black looking mold happening in there. I did wait a little long to clone. There were small budsites that were getting frost on the cuttings! Has anyone tried to clone this late in flower? I wasn't sure if it was too late to clone, but I tried. It was my dieselgum from H3ad. I know it clones great cuz I got 100% success in jiffy pellets last time. Oh well!

G

That is very odd, DC... Are you sure neither the stem nor the pearlite were contaminated?
How long were the cuttings in the cloner?
How many days into 12/12 was the mother?

mpro

these have been there 14 days now. actually one of them in the per/ver mix has only been in 8, but the other 3 have been 2 weeks. two of them are in water.

they all have smallish budsites, some with frost.

dc105

ICMag Donor
Mine were a few weeks into flower! I usually don't wait that long, I just thought I would give it a try!

North34West122

Props to you GH, great info.

I used 10k's cheapo aero and always got good results. One time after I killed some rootling clones of Bogbubble and LSD, I took cuttings from plants that were in flower almost three weeks. They took a little over two weeks to root but I got about an 80% success rate.

Even though the cheapo aero is fantastic (I got roots from healthy plants in veg in as lttle as 4 days) Wicked perlite has many advantages (equipment cost and failures, power outages, airline clogs) Before the aero, I would fill 4-inch pots with perlite and put them in one of those seedling trays with the humidity dome. I just put a little tap water in the tray and the perlite wicked up the water from the drainage holes in the pots.

While this method worked pretty good and was the easiest and cheapest(laziest?) way, GH's method is much better--with the nylon wicks the new roots won't ever reach standing water and with the relatively large volume of reservoir water it will go at least several days without maintenance.

Grow on brothers...