What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Suggestions for a basic & simple way of cloning?....

I've never taken clones before....Just wondering about a simple/basic way to go about cloning with out hormones? I've heard many folks over the years say they don't use any rooting hormone when they take clones.

Placing em' directly into a glass of water? Maybe with some aloe?

Or into some moist/saturated "soil" (peat, coco, compost, etc)?

I have a big handsome male that I'm going to chop down in the next day or two. ("Lemon Wookie Glue" ...Lemon Wookie X GlueBx)

It has some nice vigor, grew up damn quickly, strong stalk/stems...and the stems also reek of diesel/lemon/skunk. I'd like to use some of its pollen to chuck onto a few buds on some ladies, but I gotta chop em' down because he's huge atm and once it starts to release pollen that shit will be everywhere and right now that plant is right next to & among all my others (it's in the ground).

I'm going to try to take some clones before I chop em', and assuming/hoping they'll be ready to flower sometime in Aug/Sep, so then I can collect a bit of pollen to chuck onto some of the other plants I have growing that will be flowering.

I'm not going to be super bummed if the clones don't take hold, but figured it's worth a shot.

troutman

Seed Whore
Here I used a small square pot filled with soil sitting in about half an inch of water in a plastic tray under a bathroom light
for 14 hours a day. I didn't use a dome and misted the clone 5 or more times a day. Most people use fluorescents with
more hours of light though to clone.

This clone was a Colombian Gold clone.

picture.php

dirty-joe

I've never taken clones before....Just wondering about a simple/basic way to go about cloning with out hormones.

I'm not going to be super bummed if the clones don't take hold, but figured it's worth a shot.

I'm going to try the same thing for the same reason, nice male etc. it would be easier to keep a small version of rather than the whole thing. Like you if the clone(s) don't take I won't be too bummed.

BTW you "can" move your male if you want, you don't need be very fussy with it. You only need a shovel full of dirt, say an 8 inch ball of dirt will keep it alive, and you can throw it about anywhere in mostly shade even, they want to pass on their genes.

Anyway I did something like Troutman showed. And I'm doing it outdoors. Took a 5 gallon bucket part full water, a large plant pot fits inside the bucket, the bottom of the pot sits in the water. The plant pot is packed with dirt, and clear solo cups (7 of them). Solo cups full of soil ( a pro mix type stuff). I let them have a little sun in morning, and evening, mostly shade in between. Some misting. Today was 4 days, only one so far has shown any wilting.

I used clear cups so I could see what was going on. I haven't pulled any out to look yet, I'll wait at least 7 days to look.

I thought about the water only method, as it seems to be near 100% success, I just didn't want the intermediate steps (read slow down) of transplanting, and hardening off. Wanted to go soil right off.

Another reason to do this is you won't have to worry about "spilling" any pollen like when your trying to seed just one bud. And you could have 3-4 strains, seed plants in one pot. I'll add a pic. of my setup tomorrow.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Cool Troutman, How long did it take till you first noticed any growth ?

That's just one clone. I had more not shown and they took an average of about 12 -14 days to root.

After that, they grew big like wild Sativa jungle plants do. :biggrin:

BTW: I didn't use any rooting hormones.

Take extra clones to make sure you get something rooting.

mtntrogger

Veteran
Been reading a really interesting thread on a different site, they use 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol as a dip and no hormones- seems like its really successful for alot of folks

St. Phatty

just cut the clone and put it in the hole (in the dirt)

then it goes into a bag.

usually I re-use quart pots that already have dirt in them & take 2 clones at a time. then they go in a used 2 gallon bag, got plenty of those laying around.

then in low but steady light, e.g. window sill or LED running 24/0.

till they root or get moldy.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Another twist on cloning is air layering, as explained in the video here. Basically a small section of the bark on a branch is peeled away, and a peat plug wrapped around the wound for a couple of weeks with some rooting hormone added, until roots develop while the cutting is still attached to the plant.

I have used this method with various other trees, and saw about a 90% success rate, with dense masses of roots developing in the bag of earth I strapped to numerous branches, each of which went on to become an independent sapling ready for transplant into the soil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpnk4BC1Bg&t=84s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoQNNyKZ2jE&t=274s

dirty-joe

So this is my first ever try.
picture.php

This may not be quite as simple as OP wanted, hard to beat glass of water, but is what I though of, and stuff I had on hand before doing a web search, AKA looking here.

Water is up to the little black line. Only the one to the far right has shown any wilting, and seems to bounce back some over night, been 5 days now. The taller ones on the left are from the male, and the others are from 3 different females.

Think I'll take a couple more cuts off best two females, I like the idea of having seeds separate from the actual mother, may even bring them indoors. Anyway when I do I think I'll go with something more like @troutman did.
Ha, I always though clear containers were not good for roots, but after reading a bunch of this cloning stuff it seems many of the "water cloning" threads do use clear containers, and the roots are nice and white. That said since I have styrofoam that fit nicely over my clears I think I will put one inside the other.

dirty-joe

^^^UPDATE
Outdoor clone, in soil, with no dome.
Well 14 days from cut, I notice a lighter green in the center, and lower right cuts, as if they were growing tips.
picture.php

So I pulled em out (lower right) to have a look...
picture.php

there is a root on the other side as well. and the one in the center...
picture.php

Checked a couple others, no roots visible, but probably have some as they took a fair bit of direct sun today with no wilting.
I'd call that success. Frankly if only one was to take root, I'm glad it was the one in the lower right.

40degsouth

Ok, I’m in.
Without rooting compounds and all the marlaki the best way I’ve found to take clones is, to cut below where you want the actual cut, put it in, preferably demineralised water (submerged) take the cut you want and dip the very end of it in honey. Then dip the end in cinnamon powder and then put it in your desired medium.
This works in the bush for cuts that you stick into a water bottle until you get home.
I hope this helps someone,
Cheers,

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Plain water:

picture.php

I have posted this pic many time before because it's the method
that gives me nearly 100% strike rate.

dirty-joe

I thought about the just water idea, but didn't want to mess with the transplanting of those delicate roots. So this is pretty simple, clear cup (with drainage) inside a styrofoam cup (no drainage holes). Roots at 13 days, already in soil. and is hardened off, ready to rock. FWIW I also got 100% on my first ever try at cloning. 9 cuts all have roots.

picture.php

hellfire

Plain water and soil or coco is pretty k.i.s. s. Perlite wick cloning is also simple and effective. I use plain coco and find it easy to set and forget, it uses a few waterings before rooting.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Well that's certainly on-topic.

No cover on the root zone to block light?

Do you change the water?

As rooted cuttings in water, algae is thing,
but with regular water changes, no worries.

I have had mosquito larva in water cuttings of rosemary, lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts