What's new

A Guide to Fishsticks

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
When we moved the big mothers into the raised bed kennel garden, my son wanted to pull out a pimento pepper plant, loaded with peppers that was in the way. I told him no. Its a year rounder, and I didn't have the heart to kill it, or chance a replant elsewhere. Shes gonna be light depped too... But she can stay at least another year, if she can make it through winter again. Those pimentos were big, red, sweet and very tasty. I also have at least one jalopeno, and a sun gold cherry that made it too. They are all loaded with fruit.

Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are tropical perennials. Most people run them as annuals. I once had a special exotic purple pepper plant from Mexico, that I kept going for about 7 years. It was a hot one too!

The new light dep is a dome formed with blue epoxy coated steel. Its pretty cool. Ill cover it with white/black panda, with the white on the outside, so as to deflect heat

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Dr.- I was thinking of building a light dep., albeit much smaller, hoop house. It sounds pretty labor intensive, and I'd be kind of worried about missing the mark on covering it at exactly the same time every day. Non-growers seem to find my anxieties unfounded, and they're always like "it can wait" "meh, no big deal, I once new a guy...". They don't seem to understand that quality comes from meticulous consistency. As long as the gravy train doesn't stop they're happy, but don't derail the fucker! (end of rant) :)
Do you have any pics of your guys' light dep.? Is it automatic?
Have you thought of selling your collected pollen? I think it's fetching some pretty decent coin.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I just finished the frame on our new hoop house and will put the cover on this week. I designed it be light dep and will add the light proof cover in the following weeks. It's 12' x 18'. The light dep cover will be automatic and I will use a doser for teas / watering system. My 78 year old father in law and I did the frame in four half day sessions. Glad to help if I can.

picture.php

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
That's good size Zeez. You can get many pounds if all goes well. I like the auto cover part too! Mine have always been manual. I go out there in the morning before work, anp pull the cover off. Then I cover it when I get home from work. It takes 15 seconds

Org= Ill probably snap some pictures later today or at least by tomorrow for you.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...

maybe one day when we get rec here i will try growing outdoors...we certainly get enough sunlight!

gonna be another warm one here today,probably not going to crack 100,it's going to happen soon though...luckily it's going to be bone dry again so the cooler works well...yesterday i had a hoodie on it was so cool in the house...

no extra garden chores today,just watering...microbe monday will be on tuesday this week to hold to the pattern of two feeding followed by a flush day...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm a legal 12 plant grow (basically) and going for craft grade with special strains. If I can only grow 12 then next summer I might go for two grows, but they will be 12 good sized plants. The two major problems are caterpillars in the summer and rain/ humidity/ storms at the end of the summer. This should take care of all that and give me an early harvest this year.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
around here with some sort of cold frame i could probably get away with long flowering hazes...stuff that wouldn't finish until december...

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Zeez- that looks like a pretty wicked set up! How does the automatic light dep. work? Can it be diy-ed, or is it crazy specialty parts?

Dr. - Thanks man. I was just going to do it manually too, unless I can figure out how to rig an auto somehow. I like the idea of being able to heat, cool or dehumidify the outdoor grow for earlier and later crops. Do you use shade cloth too, or just let them get blasted by sun?

redlaser

Veteran
Dr.- I was thinking of building a light dep., albeit much smaller, hoop house. It sounds pretty labor intensive, and I'd be kind of worried about missing the mark on covering it at exactly the same time every day. Non-growers seem to find my anxieties unfounded, and they're always like "it can wait" "meh, no big deal, I once new a guy...". They don't seem to understand that quality comes from meticulous consistency. As long as the gravy train doesn't stop they're happy, but don't derail the fucker! (end of rant) :)
Do you have any pics of your guys' light dep.? Is it automatic?
Have you thought of selling your collected pollen? I think it's fetching some pretty decent coin.

For light dep covering, you don’t have to do it at the same time every night. Close is good enough.

I cover from 4-6 pm and uncover at 9:30 pm - 8 am

If I couldn’t get home until 8 pm one night I’d cover then and not remove until 6:30-8:00 am.

I prefer to uncover at 9:30 pm to limit humidity build up in dark hours.
If cover is on all night a dehumidifier is used or an exhaust fan, depending on how big the room is.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:watchplant: you know what they say...the watched pot never flowers...or something like that...

best get rolling here...got a bunch of stuff to clean today...trying a new thing and not waiting until i have 60 pots and cups and whatnot to wash all at the same time...gonna be a bleach-y day...

finally have all the bags of junk from spring cleaning done...one more week on the recycling and all the cardboard boxes will be gone as well...

now that i think about it i should have saved the box for the 8 inch carbon filter i will be tossing once the main room is shut down...theres going to be a bunch of ducting getting trashed as well...and pretty much all the old panda plastic in the main veg room needs to come down and the old 6 inch carbon filter needs to go as well...

gonna need to get into the main flower room and make a new ventilation plan...and figure out a better layout...and possibly some new wiring to get the juice where i need it...

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Zeez- that looks like a pretty wicked set up! How does the automatic light dep. work? Can it be diy-ed, or is it crazy specialty parts?

Dr. - Thanks man. I was just going to do it manually too, unless I can figure out how to rig an auto somehow. I like the idea of being able to heat, cool or dehumidify the outdoor grow for earlier and later crops. Do you use shade cloth too, or just let them get blasted by sun?

The motors are 24v DC and cost about $200. One motor per side, up to 80 foot hoop house. The timers with power supply are about $40 in parts. They are not really off the shelf type of units. If you know somebody who is ok with electrical stuff they are not such a big deal. The magic it has to do is reverse polarity to make the motor go backwards without causing a short circuit. To do this you use a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) relay which will totally prevent a short from happening. They're about $10. The motors have limit switches that control the distance it rolls up or down.

I use Zwave for home automation. It's very simple and can be controlled by a phone anywhere. For me, this will act as the timer and run the show. All DIY.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
One of my buddies up in Humboldt, some years back, looked out of the second story window and saw a Police copter hovering 30 feet away, extremely low, even with the window, the pilot looking right into his face. They were attempting to blow the roof panes off the giant green house, in order to have cause to come on his property. He flipped him off! The panels stayed put, and they finally left. That was before weed was legal to grow.

What a relief!

My son just retilled all my empty raised beds a half hour ago. We also filled a 20 gallon spart pot. Ive got to get my plants into the ground this evening or tomorrow evening. Im way behind this year. Should be just a bit under the 99 plant limit allowed by our paperwork., Its gonna be a big year. everything is sold, except for a zip and a half of stash, and some ice wax. I could easily sell over 100 lbs right now, if I had it, and the price is coming up. So damn dry here now. People are begging for bud. Solly Chally.....

Nice set up Zeez. Your set up looks very professional! Im impressed! :D

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Thanks Doc.

There's the best reason for light dep, you plan you harvest for the best prices of the season. When everyone else is cutting and the prices are dropping to the lowest, you're watching the weeds grow.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Here's the bending jig in action. The pipe is chain link fence top rail from lowes. It's about $12 for a 10.5' section. Each hoop is two sections.

picture.php