What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

animal control wants to come to my house?

smokeyla1

After complaint from someone they said saw me hit our dog, they said would like to interview me, come to house and inspect dog. I would never in a million years beat my dog and is pretty spoiled, has 2 beds and still sleeps with us etc. My concern is with them coming out, obvious hobbies of this site and would they be there to do an inspection of some sort and how in depth?

Meet them at the property line with your dog on a leash. If they ask to enter the yard ask if they have a warrant. Be ready if they do or go get one!

No Trespass signs do offer some additional protection in many states. These signs often are required to meet requirements of color and letter size. Check state trespass law.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
I can't imagine them expecting to go through every room of your house. This should only relate to your animal. But at least where I live, Animal Control is part of the Sheriff's Dept., so I'd definitely be concerned. So why did someone file this complaint? Are you being set up?

smokeyla1

I asked about me coming into district with dog, and they said no, needs to be done at my house. Just doesn't make sense and sounds fishy. They are part of local PD here as well, so it was a full uniformed officer...

Also banged on door for good 20-25 min, then disappeared, possibly went around house looking? Before finally saw car leave, probably 30-35 minutes in all.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

I asked about me coming into district with dog, and they said no, needs to be done at my house. Just doesn't make sense and sounds fishy. They are part of local PD here as well, so it was a full uniformed officer...

Also banged on door for good 20-25 min, then disappeared, possibly went around house looking? Before finally saw car leave, probably 30-35 minutes in all.

Sounds to me like Crusader Rabbit and others are on the right track.

While not a solid 100% fact yet, the notion of you not being permitted to bring the animal in says they're quite possibly not just there for the dog. The dog is potentially a pretext, and little more. Especially if you swear you've never hit your dog.

Just remember in LEO-ville, they're permitted to, and encouraged to lie to you on a regular professional basis, and pride themselves in it. They're trained liars.

You lie to them and it's a prosecutable offense.

This is not a level playing field, and there's NOTHING says they are necessarily telling you the truth about why they want to be there.

I'd be insulating myself right about now, though I'd avoid doing anything seriously destructively permanently rash just yet. But I'd be prepared for unexpected not-so-nice experiences, just based on the sounds of the whole thing..

Humans! Can't live with 'em. Can't eat 'em.... :)

mowood3479

Veteran
Beyond your name and addy it isn't a crime to lie to the police... It is a crime to lie under oath, to a grand jury or regular jury.
U gotta give them ur name... Beyond that u can make up any bullshit story u want.

Actually, I'm wrong. U can be charged with giving a false statement to Leo but it's a minor charge and isn't a reason imo to ever incriminate ur self (not that u r obligated to anyway).

Last edited:
M

moose eater

Beyond your name and addy it isn't a crime to lie to the police... It is a crime to lie under oath, to a grand jury or regular jury.
U gotta give them ur name... Beyond that u can make up any bullshit story u want.

Not where I live. If they're investigating, and you slide 'em a line of BS, they can charge you for it. And they will.

'Obstructing justice,' etc., etc.

mowood3479

Veteran
I'd get a lawyer to stonewall them.. Tell em to Get a warrant or kick rocks... What in the fuck is a in home interview gonna do? Is the alleged dog abuser going to admit alleged abuse because he's @ home? Nah, sounds like piggie bullshit to me.
I'd get a lawyer to represent your interests asap. My two cents anyway

Last edited:

mowood3479

Veteran
Actually, I'm wrong. U can be charged with giving a false statement to Leo but it's a minor charge and isn't a reason imo to ever incriminate ur self (not that u r obligated to anyway).

Ur right, I edited my post right after I posted..
Lying to Leo carried far less time than lying to a grand jury or during other court proceedings... Plus they gotta prove ur lying.
It is a real charge tho, and does happen. I remember a junkie was in the local paper recently for lying to the cops (he accidentally shot himself and made up a story about being the victim of a drive by. He was charged with giving a false statement.)
That said, u aren't ever obligated to incriminate ur self... So best policy is to refuse to answer any questions beyond ur name and addy... Ever.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
You could take your dog to your vet for a check up and have him evaluate your dog then have your vet sign the evaluation saying that he is fine and has no signs of trauma then send it in to animal control. I don't know if that will satisfy them but given that the vet is an animal practitioner, they are well qualified to evaulate weather or not the dog has been beaten or shows signs of abuse.

M

moose eater

You could take your dog to your vet for a check up and have him evaluate your dog then have your vet sign the evaluation saying that he is fine and has no signs of trauma then send it in to animal control. I don't know if that will satisfy them but given that the vet is an animal practitioner, they are well qualified to evaulate weather or not the dog has been beaten or shows signs of abuse.

If some of us are correct about what we think this -really- is, that'd be when they claim they were incorrect in the complaint processing, and he is -actually- accused of batting the neighbor's cat with a tennis racket...:biggrin:

Otherwise, in more serious tone, as you suggest, heading them off with a $50 health certificate to show the dog's fine isn't bad ammo. Not bullet-proof, but still; better than nothing. And I'd still make sure things are shiny clean around home.

M

moose eater

Ur right, I edited my post right after I posted..
Lying to Leo carried far less time than lying to a grand jury or during other court proceedings... Plus they gotta prove ur lying.
It is a real charge tho, and does happen. I remember a junkie was in the local paper recently for lying to the cops (he accidentally shot himself and made up a story about being the victim of a drive by. He was charged with giving a false statement.)
That said, u aren't ever obligated to incriminate ur self... So best policy is to refuse to answer any questions beyond ur name and addy... Ever.

Yep, no problem.

Any good attorney will tell you that more folks are convicted by their own story-telling than anything else. Best to just sit quietly, ask if you're being detained, and if so, ask to speak to an attorney. Say nothing more.

The only exception to remaining silent should be passing gas, or requesting a trip to the restroom, if needed.:)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hell I only lie to judges and cops...keep dog out front/outside.. then go outside and meet cop/animal control whatever.. don't let em inside...yeehaw

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
They have a legitimate interest in seeing the dog's living conditions. Problem is that once they're in your house you have no control over the situation. And refusing to allow them entry has set off red flags.

First off, who says a dog needs to live indoors anyway? Just tell them the dog is an outside animal, is fed and cared for well but he lives outside and you really don't want anyone in your home. Show them around outside and that's that. You have a right to privacy and quiet enjoyment in your home as long as you pay your taxes.

al70

Veteran
Give the dog to a relative or a friend for a while, call em up n tell em that the dog passed away n show em the little mound at the end of the garden with the big rock on top ��

Latest posts

Latest posts