What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distinguished and Nurtured Kind

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I have heard of 1 hour on 1 hour off for veg. Never tried it myself though. Potential savings are big as the lights are only on 12 hours in a 24 hour period. I never tried it because it would be highly irritating while working in the veg room. Apparently the 1 hour of darkness is not long enough to trigger flowering, folic acid does not build up significantly!

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Yeah you are on to something gmanwho, I tryed to cover alot of the lighting related ??? in the lighting sticky in my signature (planning on doing an updated and cleaner thread soon with more information).

Im pretty sure Daily light Integral (total number of photons absorbed during the lights on period) is what you mean. Then Photosaturation is the point where the plants are receiving more light intensity then they can utilize but not enough to show signs of stress/damage yet (point of excess/waste). With overhead lighting typically the top of the canopy is receiving twice as much light as the plants are actually capable of utilizing so the growth ~12" below will receive the optimal max useable light before photosaturation point. Since cannabis is a full sun light tolerant plant its another interesting thing to think about, with sativas requiring more light intensity than indicas due to less efficient absorption of light in the lighter green pigments.

Typically Indoors plants need around 5 days in a row 12 hours complete darkness to initiate flower transition, the plant does record the last few days daylengths. You can veg under pretty much any light cycle of on and off as long as there is never a consistent chain of days it recieves the 12hr critical dark period.

Ive been sharing alot of info about far red, infrared and flower initiation lately. these 2 quotes and the link in the 2nd quote should help explain.

The temperature on the surface of the leaves is what matters most and 88F is ideal, check the light science thread in my signature for full explanation. Led doesnt produce radiant heat (infrared light that heats things it comes in contact with), they produce conductive heat to the surface they are mounted to which doesnt make it to the plant's leaves. I refer to plants being cold blooded under led, The problem most people encounter when first trying led is stress from too much light.

The more efficiently a photon is used in photosynthesis the less the leaf surface is heated. The supplemental IR added from led is focused at specific wavelengths highly utilized for growth or phytochrome manipulation, negligible really in regards to heating leaves compared to HID.

I posted in this thread earlier with information about plants using far red wavelengths that would help explain further:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362079

nickman

Veteran
yes, 8 on 4 off, twice in one 24hrs.

been running 8/4 in veg for maybe...3/4 or so years now. Delta9 talked about it in some of his ppk threads, an i forget who else prior but i know there was someone else.

from what i gather there are what " i see" , a few positive points. I am not an horticulture expert by any means. I do however feel the plants grow healthier, an i know i am a little more efficient. which i will express below. again i am no expert or have a proper education in horticulture.

thoughts where, a young plant can only store or convert so much energy due to lack of development, leaf surface area, roots. nutrient conversion an all the other environmental conditions.

when a clone or teen gets hit with 18hrs of direct light they dont absorb or use all the light that is thrown at them. therefore some of the light energy is wasted. the plants slow an go into stasis, meanwhile the lights are still on.

can they utilize even 6 hrs of light at first? as they develop then it becomes 6.5 hours, 7/8/10 etc...

there is 2 hrs of electrical energy saved. there is 8 hrs of darkness with 8/4 verse 18/6. so there is 2 hrs of electrical energy saved.

they get 2 "naps" instead of one sleep. allowing time to recover an get ready for the next light event. maybe they are sprinting the same distance each day but napping in between. more rest with 8/4. verse jogging at a slower pace, the same distance for 18hrs, each day? they each seem to have there place.

that wasted energy is added $$ to the power bill from light, and ac usage, bulb life. i already pay about 2800-3800 a month in power an any saving counts. an my rates are not high for the usa.

i also remember reading that a plant may keep a day counter based on night cycles, photoperiod. a seedling may think they are 2wice the age they really are. maybe so sex earlier?

i honestly should throw some references attached to this post. but the to-do list is long, and the day is short.

:tiphat:
It definitely makes sense.
Kinda like how it’s better for a body builder to eat more smaller meals rather than just one large meal.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, the rest of the garden came down @81 days. There were 3 times in the past two weeks where the lights were on for longer than 14 hours. Oops. It sort of extended flower time and things were just not going to be "right" this run no matter what I did, so I went ahead and cut things down.

Cobalt #2 does seems to still be a 12wk plant actually. If going by her trichs, lighting snafu aside, she's still a 12wk'er. Lucky me, honestly. That works out perfectly for a perpetual style system with three sets of 6 plants, 1 set coming down every 28 days.

She is the one to get dialed in. In the pictures, you'll see green and purple/pink. She turned color, not with temperature, but as she ripened. To be noted though, the higher temperatures near the lights, kept her from maturing and kept her from showing her color. Temps were never below 70 in flower though, so it's certainly not triggered due to cold, but excessive heat, is a detriment in getting her to express it.

Under a scope the trichs on the purple flowers are more mature. Single colas, have almost a defined line where the color stops and the plant remains green.

Regardless, this plant here is one to dial in. She makes massive flowers that are just completely resin covered in little tiny trichs. Short stalked, tiny cloudy domes.

Always Be Flowering - Cobalt Haze #2 @ 80-81days.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Honestly, I'm buying a new camera just so I can get valid pictures of this plant. She's nearly impossible to capture. Any flash at all and she is so washed out her color doesn't come through. This pictures have contrast, brightness, saturation, shadows, vividness, etc - all turned DOWN to try and cut through the shimmer.

I know these pictures don't show it, but she is frosty like you'd expect from a GSC cross. If you've grown any of the Cookies clones, you'll recognize the resin type instantly.

I've never seen a PINK cannabis flower. I've seen pink pistils, but this whole flower, really looks more pink hued purple than it does a true purple. It's stunning!!!

Anyway, I was thinking I was going to run a clone round, but it seems like a waste of time to wait 10 days for stuff to be ready, then another 10 days for roots to spread a bit. I could be well into another round of flower by that point. If I wanted to do a smaller clone run, I should have prepped for it better. These 8 girls are ready to rock and roll, so they are going in. Having topped them for all those cuts, hasn't hurt them one bit.

dank.Frank

U

useless.gardens

try using a flashlight... you can use it for back light, bottom light, and top light over the subject.

you can always upload the image to your p/c and use a free image editor like IrfanView to adjust the colors to get closer to what you actually see.

that massive cola in the first photo, total length, about the size of 2 @ 20oz gatoraid bottles?

looking sexy & tasty.

are you just planting the next round? amending and direct plant? amending/cooking?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
I like the mix of lime green and that shade of purple. I got a whole bunch of genetics with cookie genes coming up, I’m really looking forward to the aesthetics!!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@kokokush - Agreed. Considering I only had two females, no complaints!

@useless - I've tried numerous things with this junky thing. Only way to get better pics is to get a different camera. That one cola, and most the colas on this plant are 14-17". The one I pictured actually has a big wad of bud rot I'm going to have to cut out. Ick.

There are several things I need to address in my room, apparently. MORE AIRFLOW seems to be a given, especially since humidity is only 33-38% right now, which should be low enough for a good slow dry without getting bud rot, although, I think this was here since flower and I'm just now able to really see it.

The next round, will get amended according to the original chart that was based on the square footage of the soil bed. The soil mix was based on a set NPK value applied at a given lbs/acre. That was reduced to lbs/10 sq ft. That weight, converted to relevant volumetric measurements.

picture.php

I'll not cook or anything else. I'll apply the amendments, dig some holes, transplant, veg for a few days to train the canopy and get them in a screen for better support, then flip, let them merge into a second screen.

@moses - I see influences from the OGKB in this plant that held true into flower. I'd not go so far to say she is cookie dominant or anything else, but there are distinct traces of that heritage showing through. Clearly, the #2 is more representative of the male and the #1 more representative of the female.

@Zomboy - Big fat colas for sure. I hate I've gotten bud rot, but that tells you exactly how big and beefy they really are. I'm impressed given they are only under a 315w CMH.

@AmericanGrower - I used to have an area I'd carry plants to, set them up for special one on one camera time with all black backdrops and positional lighting, tripod, count down timer on so no camera movement, etc. I don't really have that luxury to move the plants about with a soil bed. That aside, a new camera, is the BEST solution. 3.5mp just isn't cutting it! LOL.

@Chucky - Thank you. I'm pleased but certainly not satisfied by any means. Power tools come out and adjustments will be made before the next round goes in. Bud rot is amateur non-sense. 88. 91 degrees. Rookie level ignorance. I need to get things on point.

@Starke - Thanks for the kind words.

Good vibes everyone. Lot's more to come. Back to construction phase. I need to put direct intake vents into each side wall of the flowering chamber. Soil needs to get amended. Veg chamber needs to be insulated and sealed off completely. It will have positive pressure and I don't want that air escaping.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Sorry. I've been getting stoned. It's been glorious. :joint:

I'm really not sure what to do. Opinions? What do you all want to see???

8 great looking plants in 1 gallon that are ready to rock and roll. 4 Cobalt #2, 3 #1 and 1 Sis x TPK. Run them more or less the same as last time but with more control over height and temperature and get them in a screen. 8 plants should make a great, easy to fill canopy.

OR

18 plants grown into a screen but mostly running a single cola pattern. Rooted and needing to veg about a week under the CMH - 9 Sis x TPK, 6 Cobalt #1 and 3 #2. That's a full light of the Sis x TPK if I run smaller plants.

I'm going to flip either plant and flip the 1 gallon pots tomorrow or I'm going to move the 18 vegging clones under CMH tomorrow. You all decide what you want to see in the room this next round.

PS - This Cobalt #2 that came down at 81 days is certainly a stronger plant. She kicks you in the chest and leaves your mouth coated in flavor. I'm camera shopping. When I get a different way to show her off, it'll make sense. She's frosted. Not entirely sure what the flavor is, but I'm going to get some samples out to F.A.M. this week and hopefully I'll get a review on the these two Cobalt Haze phenos.

This will sound ridiculous, but to me, she tastes like beef ramen and ginger, with a slight metallic/battery taste to it some where in the mix. It's...different.

dank.Frank

Bmac1

Veteran
Beautiful buds DF and congrats on the harvest. My vote goes for the 8 plant scenario.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
View Image

Sorry. I've been getting stoned. It's been glorious. :joint:

I'm really not sure what to do. Opinions? What do you all want to see???

8 great looking plants in 1 gallon that are ready to rock and roll. 4 Cobalt #2, 3 #1 and 1 Sis x TPK. Run them more or less the same as last time but with more control over height and temperature and get them in a screen. 8 plants should make a great, easy to fill canopy.

OR

18 plants grown into a screen but mostly running a single cola pattern. Rooted and needing to veg about a week under the CMH - 9 Sis x TPK, 6 Cobalt #1 and 3 #2. That's a full light of the Sis x TPK if I run smaller plants.

I'm going to flip either plant and flip the 1 gallon pots tomorrow or I'm going to move the 18 vegging clones under CMH tomorrow. You all decide what you want to see in the room this next round.

PS - This Cobalt #2 that came down at 81 days is certainly a stronger plant. She kicks you in the chest and leaves your mouth coated in flavor. I'm camera shopping. When I get a different way to show her off, it'll make sense. She's frosted. Not entirely sure what the flavor is, but I'm going to get some samples out to F.A.M. this week and hopefully I'll get a review on the these two Cobalt Haze phenos.

This will sound ridiculous, but to me, she tastes like beef ramen and ginger, with a slight metallic/battery taste to it some where in the mix. It's...different.

dank.Frank

Love that trimmed bud pic.

I too vote for the 8 plants. I wanna see the most #2's!

Really, it's a beautiful plant.

G

Hi Frank. They are pretty buds. Im just catching up in here.

Are you re-using you're soil? how do you know how much to of a what to add back?

Funny you described the Cobalt as a kick in the chest because today I said to a friend that the Sams was like a punch in the chest. Strong oof.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@...... - Yes. I'm re-using my soil. A soil test is the best way. Currently though, I'm using pounds per acre, reduced to grams per square foot based on the NPK ratios and the resulting formula I developed earlier in this thread.

All the math is there. I'll be getting soil tests done soon enough.

@Bmac - 8 okay.

@CannaRed - 8 okay. The #2 is a sexy plant for sure. That is the primary difference. 18 has a full light of Sis x TPK and the 8 has a full light of the #2.

It might be kind of stupid to run a full light of an untested seed plant when I've got tested plants ready to roll, but I anticipate the Sis x TPK being my style of smoke so wouldn't mind having a bunch of it. Either way, even with one plant and a couple of ounces, it would be enough to ensure I didn't run out until the next harvest window, so it is a bit of a moot point.

Might be best to put the time and effort into a light of #2.

dank.Frank

(S)eismic

Looking good frank...that finished cobalt is pretty colorful. It'll be cool to see her with the new cam.

I agree with everyone else, do the 8 in 1gal containers. Can't go wrong if you already know she's good. Ramen/ginger sounds pretty wild on the taste front.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Damn man that looks as good as any Instagram hype strain!! Insert mandatory derivative dessert name!!

I like the sound of the 8 plant option!!

White Beard

I’m curious to see the 18 single-cola screen as I’ve not seen anything like that, but I’m watching and learning (I hope) either way...

Latest posts

Latest posts