What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mother Bucker or Eztrim DeBudder

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Has anyone used a mechanical bud stripping tool? They look like a great idea but I'm wondering if the buds would be stripped off the stems leaving you with nothing but popcorn.

Reaper

I think they're supposed to be used on fresh/wet buds.
IMO this machine is a waste of money. You can strip almost as fast with your bare hands

Look for a dry trimmer they will let you dry the bud then run it through the machine. It will knock off crystals when machine trimed but if u need to process fast it can be a handy tool get one that collects the goodies that fall off and they can be used for hash. Drying the bud befor trimming the bud will let harsh things such as sugars to break down leaving you with a higher quality smoke

If you have a huge amount some of the processing can be skiped and hash can be made from alot of it without being trimed all the way(just remove fan leaves and remove from sticks)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I like that and it's what I've been thinking. I put together a compost sifter with 1/2" hardware cloth to tumble trim the bud.

Like this but mine uses kid 14 inch bike wheels, is 36 inches long, and is motorized on a slight slope.
picture.php

It'll be a bit rough on the trichs if it moves too fast, but that should give me great moonrock material.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
seems that would be easy to duplicate from a regular bucket lid.

A regular lid isn't stiff enough. But a nice piece of stainless might do the trick.

The popcorn issue of stripping the buds from the stems can be solved by drilling different size holes for the sticks, and creating a divot on the hole with a press and ballbarring. If the extruded part is sharpened with a grinder, the buds would be cut off rather than stripped.

I plan on stripping by hand like Reaper suggested, but the sun's getting high on my 60 years from my hockey and roping days and I need a backup in case my bum shoulder and hands give out. lol

I've already modified a wringer from a wringer washer that can pull a team of wild horses through it. Now I need to speed it up. It'll work, but boy, is this ever going to look hobo. lol.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
seems that would be easy to duplicate from a regular bucket lid.

Simpler and cheaper to buy a developed product from Soil King, apart from this tool he also sells soil to half of N Cal's growers, he knows hundreds of people who are doing large numbers, this comes from that world, it is not a silly gimmick.

CrushnYuba

I use a trim machine. But unfortunately all the machine buckers suckkkk. You got to pay labor to buck. They just rip everything off the stem and destroy everything. No different or faster then a harsh strip by hand. I don't even allow that. And you will need to bump stems off by hand ANYWAY. You will save time/labor bucking the right way by hand from the start.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I think they're supposed to be used on fresh/wet buds.
IMO this machine is a waste of money. You can strip almost as fast with your bare hands
You were right Reaper. You too CrushnYuba.

I started with cutting branches, bringing them to HQ and debucking with a home made machine. What a waste of time. It worked fine, but it was way too time consuming. So this is what I ended up doing.

I took large sports duffel bags to the grow intending to debuck by hand. I wasn't going to be hauling anything I didn't need. I put my gardening gloves on and grabbed a branch close to the stalk, gripped it tight and pulled. The buds came off with ease and a snap at the end for the biggest buds. Everything came off perfectly! The only popcorn I got was already on the plant, the nice buds stayed nice and the huge buds stayed huge. I ended up with a huge handfull of buds that I just dropped into the bags and grabbed another branch, and so on....

It took me a half day the first time to do 6 plants. Debucking by hand I was able to do 30 plants in a couple hours. When I finished the plants were naked as a jay bird. Every plant a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. Back at HQ I just grabbed hand fulls and put them in the bowl trimmer. Everything came out beautifully. Big buds were awesome, and even the popcorn I would have deep sixed were nicely trimmed.
(I had 4 of these)
picture.php

I could have have harvested 50 plants in one day. But I'd need a couple more bowl trimmers that way. Next year I'll be training a bit because at the end of the day, my arms and hands were wasted.