What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I am sorry for our Australian Brothers and Sisters

CaptainDankness

"Sniper" rifles are bolt action simply because of the power involved.
Wrong, you can buy a semi auto Barret .50 BMG, extremely powerful and still not bolt action. Also the military uses a lot of semi auto .308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO) as sniper rifles.

Then you have the Israeli special forces who used a suppressed Ruger 10/22 as a sniper rifle, that's a .22LR semi auto rifle they used as sniper rifles, which they will do the job within 300 yards and be damn near silent with a suppressor actually a pretty solid choice in my opinion.

Full auto anything is just for covering fire.

Not exactly, them 20mm full auto guns on jets and helicopters are for taking out armored vehicles and while it is a lot of spray and pray going on, nothing like a mini gun against waves of charging Chinese. Helped out great against the Bonzia charging Japs and waves of Chinese in Korea.

CaptainDankness

You can buy whatever you want.

The principle regarding the reliability of the action remains.
Are you really trying to say that semi autos are not reliable? Or not as accurate? It's 2020, not the 1940's, firearms designs have only gotten better.

Next you're going to say grandpas old revolver is more reliable than a Glock. LMAO

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm saying nothing more than I have.

Obviously you just need to chew on something.

Go right ahead. Enjoy your Sunday.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Are you really trying to say that semi autos are not reliable? Or not as accurate? It's 2020, not the 1940's, firearms designs have only gotten better.

Next you're going to say grandpas old revolver is more reliable than a Glock. LMAO

in some ways, revolvers still have advantages. your average citizen can grab any double action revolver made, squeeze the trigger & shoot. probably not true of as many folks needing to chamber a round, find the Glocks safety, and shoot. not talking folks that own and have practiced with a Glock...watch Jerry Miculek empty a 5 shot revolver into a group the size of a poker card in o.57 seconds on youtube...he aint "normal" either, lol.:headbange

F2F

I own shotguns, rifles, handguns. Semi-auto, bolts, pumps, single shots, revolvers. Double action & single action.

A semi-auto anything relying on gas recycle to chamber the next round is less reliable than a revolver. And yes, I’ve shot plenty of Glocks, Berrettas, etc. at some point every semiauto I’ve fired will jam. Sometimes it takes heat, or bad or inconsistent loads - but it’s inevitable.

Cheers
F2F

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
Benelli semi-auto shotguns are bad ass. I wish I still had my M1 super 90. You can chamber and fire it one armed if needed. When it chambered the ready round, the sound was an unmistakable mechanical sound of real trouble. The one I had was an ex-Marine embassy protection weapon.

This is the kind of thing a home invader should have on their mind, when they make their decision to invade.

View Image

Damn!
Why didn't my Marine unit get Benelli's?:bigeye:
We had Nam era Remingtons. Prolly the reason Id never own one.

That Benellis nice, tho. Hell, most everything they make is nice.

-cap

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I own shotguns, rifles, handguns. Semi-auto, bolts, pumps, single shots, revolvers. Double action & single action.

A semi-auto anything relying on gas recycle to chamber the next round is less reliable than a revolver. And yes, I’ve shot plenty of Glocks, Berrettas, etc. at some point every semiauto I’ve fired will jam. Sometimes it takes heat, or bad or inconsistent loads - but it’s inevitable.

Cheers
F2F

fairly accurate statement. and I get your point. hammer and primer setup is simplistic and efficient. for sure.
BUT....
while gas operated bolts are slightly less reliable than revolvers, that margin is greatly reduced if you are on top of your cleanings and having a good firing pin.
My issued M16A2 was made in the mid 70s. I had it in mud. Sand. Salt water. NEVER had a jam. (or rust) Why? Cuz I was religious about tearing it down and cleaning it with CLP and assorted gun oils.....
Now the M249 SAW...….
THATS a POS. jammed every 5th round. :)
Clean or not.

-cap

CaptainDankness

in some ways, revolvers still have advantages. your average citizen can grab any double action revolver made, squeeze the trigger & shoot. probably not true of as many folks needing to chamber a round, find the Glocks safety, and shoot. not talking folks that own and have practiced with a Glock...watch Jerry Miculek empty a 5 shot revolver into a group the size of a poker card in o.57 seconds on youtube...he aint "normal" either, lol.:headbange

Glocks don't have a safety, chamber a round and squeeze the trigger. Also when the revolver fails you pretty much need a gunsmith and just a little dirt or sand will stop a revolver even a drop. They also need to be maintained better than a Glock or the revolver will fail.

If a Glock malfunctions you tap and rack and back in action, plus it holds a hell of a lot more rounds.

There is a lot of reasons why military and law enforcement don't use revolvers. Police love that big black Glock. Lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Glocks don't have a safety, chamber a round and squeeze the trigger. Also when the revolver fails you pretty much need a gunsmith and just a little dirt or sand will stop a revolver even a drop. They also need to be maintained better than a Glock or the revolver will fail.

If a Glock malfunctions you tap and rack and back in action, plus it holds a hell of a lot more rounds.

There is a lot of reasons why military and law enforcement don't use revolvers. Police love that big black Glock. Lol

they like autos because they can't shoot for shit & need 18 rounds to keep some big SOB from shoving their pistol where the sun doesn't shine...:bigeye: i've never, in over 50 years of pistol shooting, had a revolver fail to go "bang!" when i pulled the trigger.

CaptainDankness

they like autos because they can't shoot for shit & need 18 rounds to keep some big SOB from shoving their pistol where the sun doesn't shine...:bigeye: i've never, in over 50 years of pistol shooting, had a revolver fail to go "bang!" when i pulled the trigger.
If you've never had a revolver fail, you ain't shooting enough. I personally hate revolvers they're so much louder you can't even play with them without earplugs, a .45 and 9mm just a slight ring really a .357 hurts my ears worse than a damn 30-06. Lol

[youtubeif]/QQUEHF_QRNc[/youtubeif]

Also it often takes more than 6 shots to end a gun fight, don't matter how good you think you are.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
If you've never had a revolver fail, you ain't shooting enough. I personally hate revolvers they're so much louder you can't even play with them without earplugs, a .45 and 9mm just a slight ring really a .357 hurts my ears worse than a damn 30-06. Lol

[youtubeif]/QQUEHF_QRNc[/youtubeif]

Also it often takes more than 6 shots to end a gun fight, don't matter how good you think you are.

i shoot weekly. not trying to "win" a gunfight, just trying to get out of a corner. if the "other guy" comes ready for a gun fight, your wunderGlock will be found lying next to your body. 90% or more carjackings/mugging attempts end when the offender realizes his "victim" is armed. yeah, snubnoses are rough on your ears. so is Pink Floyd played at the levels i enjoy...i wear plugs/muffs every time i shoot these days. too late to do much good now, but i try to keep what little i have.

troutman

Seed Whore
kangaroo-photoshop-battle-11.jpg

superx

Veteran
Just got a throw back there to a scene from bonanza...

Could of been a gunfight at o.k corral.

Latest posts

Latest posts