What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I am sorry for our Australian Brothers and Sisters

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You are right in that if people really want to do harm they will find a way. The thing that kicked off the gun clampdown was the Port Arthur Massacre (at a famous historical site). The thing that got me was the speed with which this happened. You could argue that if citizens had guns this could have been halted earlier, however I'm not convinced. My understanding is that the sort of weapon he used is completely banned now. An exert from an article about it;

Bryant killed 12 people in 15 seconds.
On the gravel path outside the cafe Kingston tried to herd people who thought the gunshots were part of a historical re-enactment up the garden and out of range. He knew he couldn’t go back inside. “You don’t get a second chance with a gun like that,” Kingston says.

Bryant moved towards the gift shop in the next 75 seconds, killing another eight people. In little over half an hour the death toll would be 35, with 23 wounded. It became the worst single-person mass shooting in Australia’s history; and is still the third worst recorded worldwide.

The gun was an AR-15 rifle with a 30-shot magazine. Bryant exchanged it for a semi-automatic .308 FN rifle he had stowed in the boot of his car. Both were then legal in Tasmania,
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lia-made-gun-control-happen-after-port-arthur

Guys like that in America are usually hyped up on some drug they were prescribed for a mental condition, when they mass shoot. Was was that guy on? Or it's a staged fake school shooting. End result, cries for taking away our guns.

As for no forced vax in Oz, so they did not impose restrictions on un-vax'd kids, or take away the child tax credit if the kid wasn't vax'd? Article said they did, and I bet gates has given the PM a bunch of money.

See, I dunno, Just what I read on the internet. Here we have this pedo-island frequent visitor named dershowitz, who thinks he is in charge of what American laws mean, and he says we MUST be vax'd if they decide they want us vax'd. I will refuse, armed if needed.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Guys like that in America are usually hyped up on some drug they were prescribed for a mental condition, when they mass shoot. Was was that guy on? Or it's a staged fake school shooting. End result, cries for taking away our guns.

As for no forced vax in Oz, so they did not impose restrictions on un-vax'd kids, or take away the child tax credit if the kid wasn't vax'd? Article said they did, and I bet gates has given the PM a bunch of money.

See, I dunno, Just what I read on the internet. Here we have this pedo-island frequent visitor named dershowitz, who thinks he is in charge of what American laws mean, and he says we MUST be vax'd if they decide they want us vax'd. I will refuse, armed if needed.
You are right that they did, and I think still do, impose restrictions on un vaxed kids, although I don't pay much attention to what going on in kids world, mine are grown up. That's a bit different to forcing people to vaccinate. But for sure, they will make life more difficult for the un vaxed.

Not sure whether the shooter, Martin Bryant was on medication. He was certainly a misfit of sorts. As for staged fake shooting.. please! I have visited the massacre site. There are still friends and relatives of the dead that work there. It's a famous historical convict site with an extremely violent history. Fact is unless you have a gun, you don't kill 12 people in 15 seconds. (just edited 12 ppl in 15 seconds not 8, many wounded too)

Last edited:

St. Phatty

The gun was an AR-15 rifle with a 30-shot magazine. Bryant exchanged it for a semi-automatic .308 FN rifle he had stowed in the boot of his car. Both were then legal in Tasmania,
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lia-made-gun-control-happen-after-port-arthur

how long was the barrel on the 308 ?

one strange detail about most mass shootings is, when they use a 5.56 it usually has a 16 inch barrel.

i've never read about a 308 used during a mass shooting in the US.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
+1 for supporting the right to bear arms but..... but as what you say here......you have a somewhat different way of defining freedom :bigeye:

everyone has a different idea of what freedom means. i don't try to force MY idea on other people, like those that hate guns do. never understood being afraid of an inanimate object. the celebrities/politicians that cry for gun control frequently live in gated communities with (wait for it) armed guards to protect them, or have taxpayer paid bodyguards.
when seconds count, the police are only 15 minutes away...:headbange

Chi13

ICMag Donor
everyone has a different idea of what freedom means. i don't try to force MY idea on other people, like those that hate guns do. never understood being afraid of an inanimate object. the celebrities/politicians that cry for gun control frequently live in gated communities with (wait for it) armed guards to protect them, or have taxpayer paid bodyguards.
when seconds count, the police are only 15 minutes away...:headbange
My dad had a gun, and I learned to shoot growing up. Like a lot of kids I had gun safety drummed into me.

I lived in a semi rural area and neighbours had an orchard and grew annual vegetable crops. They had 5 kids and had guns to shoot rabbits etc. One day 2 of the kids aged about 12 and 8 were playing with what they thought was an unloaded gun. It wasn't, and the 12 year old shot the 8 year old kid dead. Those kids had both been taught gun safety by very strict religious parent. The whole thing was a huge shock to the community and the kid who did the shooting had lifelong problems following this. So, while inanimate objects shouldn't be feared, people make mistakes, with sometimes tragic consequences.

Your 15 minute point is very valid though and there is no real answer to that. All I can say is that the Australian stats show that gun deaths are reduced when you reduce the amount of guns in the community. There will always be individuals who can get them on the black market though.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
how long was the barrel on the 308 ?

one strange detail about most mass shootings is, when they use a 5.56 it usually has a 16 inch barrel.

i've never read about a 308 used during a mass shooting in the US.

Charles Whitman used a .30 caliber and a .35 caliber in Austin.

He also had an entire assorted arsenal.

I figure if you have saltwater crocodiles around you are going to want big boy cartridges like .45/70.

It seems like everything can kill you in Oz. I'd want a gun.

Good luck to those down under!

troutman

Seed Whore
I strongly suspect population control is part of that vaccine.

1st person who comes near me with a needle gets it in the eye.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- - Human error, crime and over emotional responses is what makes guns so dangerous - can't blame the guns - blame the people -

- How many times a day does someone using a HAMMER accidently hammer their own thumb/fingers worldwide? - OUCH! (millions of times) - and how many times a day does someone purposely via crime, an over-emotional response/suicide or accident - shoot themselves or others with a GUN - every hour of the day - 24/7? - 'BANG!' -

- You are never going to stop people from injuring themselves or others with HAMMERS - as long as there are hammers amongst us - and the same applies to GUNS - half or more of all gun deaths are suicides - human error/accidents, crime and over-emotional responses make guns - deadly -

* in some societies - I'd rather be armed than not - especially where gun crime is so high - its a duty - to try and protect your family - but often that need to protect can turn into a nasty accident - as you have explained Chi - no matter how 'responsible' a gun owner you may think you are - we are all fallible and can make deadly mistakes - to be human is to 'err -

My dad had a gun, and I learned to shoot growing up. Like a lot of kids I had gun safety drummed into me.

I lived in a semi rural area and neighbours had an orchard and grew annual vegetable crops. They had 5 kids and had guns to shoot rabbits etc. One day 2 of the kids aged about 12 and 8 were playing with what they thought was an unloaded gun. It wasn't, and the 12 year old shot the 8 year old kid dead. Those kids had both been taught gun safety by very strict religious parent. The whole thing was a huge shock to the community and the kid who did the shooting had lifelong problems following this. So, while inanimate objects shouldn't be feared, people make mistakes, with sometimes tragic consequences.

Your 15 minute point is very valid though and there is no real answer to that. All I can say is that the Australian stats show that gun deaths are reduced when you reduce the amount of guns in the community. There will always be individuals who can get them on the black market though.

CaptainDankness

You are right that they did, and I think still do, impose restrictions on un vaxed kids, although I don't pay much attention to what going on in kids world, mine are grown up. That's a bit different to forcing people to vaccinate. But for sure, they will make life more difficult for the un vaxed.

Not sure whether the shooter, Martin Bryant was on medication. He was certainly a misfit of sorts. As for staged fake shooting.. please! I have visited the massacre site. There are still friends and relatives of the dead that work there. It's a famous historical convict site with an extremely violent history. Fact is unless you have a gun, you don't kill 12 people in 15 seconds. (just edited 12 ppl in 15 seconds not 8, many wounded too)
Unless you're Timothy McVeigh who killed 168 people and wounded 680 more in about 1 second with fertilizer.

Then you have the terror attack in Nice,France that killed over 90 people in seconds with a truck.

Guns on the other hand are more precision weapons, unless you hit me in a vital organ I'm most likely going to live. Even the Vegas Shooter doesn't have shit on the France truck attack.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Unless you're Timothy McVeigh who killed 168 people and wounded 680 more in about 1 second with fertilizer.

Then you have the terror attack in Nice,France that killed over 90 people in seconds with a truck.

Guns on the other hand are more precision weapons, unless you hit me in a vital organ I'm most likely going to live. Even the Vegas Shooter doesn't have shit on the France truck attack.

McVeigh would have killed a fuckload more if his fertilizer/diesel brew had been properly mixed. experts have said less than half of it actually exploded. you have a real point on the Nice attack. a big pickup truck and a maniac driving it does not need reloading. fuck a 30 round clip, just fill up before you head out.

St. Phatty

Charles Whitman used a .30 caliber and a .35 caliber in Austin.

He also had an entire assorted arsenal.

I figure if you have saltwater crocodiles around you are going to want big boy cartridges like .45/70.

It seems like everything can kill you in Oz. I'd want a gun.

Good luck to those down under!

" Remington 700 ADL (6mm) Universal M1 carbine Remington Model 141 (.35-caliber) Sears model 60 Semi-automatic shotgun (12 gauge) S&W Model 19 (.357 Magnum) Luger P08 (9mm) Galesi-Brescia (.25 ACP) Knife"

a hunting rifle (700ADL) and a 35 cal M1 (probably semi-auto).

the Texas shooting also got a mention in Whitley Streiber's ET books. just something that happened in the background, for Streiber.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
minimum length required by federal law.

16"

Unless, of course, you pay a ton of money for a short barrel rifle (SBR).
Nothing comes back from getting nailed with a .458 socom round fired from a 12" barrel at, relatively, short range.

granted accuracy suffers the farther away the target is, but, hey....
no one deer hunts with an SBR.

as you know, but, many may not, even the REAL military "assault" rifles with full automatic capabilities can be bought.
Problem for most is they can cost over $10K usd and take MONTHS to clear the paperwork to do so.

I served in the Marines, so, Ive had my share of full auto. To me, its a waste of lead. The first two may hit your target but the rest go high and to the right. :)

Im fine with semi-auto. (which, most people, mistakenly, refer to as assault weapons)
I can aim and I can hit my target with the first round expended.
As long as they are 500yds or closer.
Might take me two rounds outside of that cuz Im getting old and my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

-cap

Treevly

The thread's about vaccination, I only commented about guns because the thread starter seems to feel sorry that most Australians don't own them. I am really happy that there are few guns in our society, but I don't think many Americans will understand that view.

I think the word you didn't notice was "need". There are target/sports shooters of course. Feral animals are a huge problem and there are licensed hunters. Farmers need them for the same reason.
Of course there is still violence but for the most part Australia is relatively peaceful. Gun ownership and the right to bear arms has never been part of our constitution. The more guns in society, the more problems, although no doubt people will disagree.

No, this thread is about whatever any obsessives wish to obsess about.

Latest posts

Latest posts