Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Seed Sprouting in humidity dome

Thread Title Search
Seed Sprouting in humidity dome Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 AM #1
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
Seed Sprouting in humidity dome

A very sad event triggers this post unfortunately.

I have been popping a lot of seeds in the last month and thought I had this down.

Well I had a freebie pack of Brown Sugar X Long Bottom Leaf from Bad Dawg, and I germinated as per normal, paper towel method, until they cracked open a bit, and then I put them into jiffy pellets as was becoming my favorite most reliable method. I have done a few pops like this recently but thought I would improve this run and put the dish of peat pellets into my humidity dome where the humidity was 95% and temps 70-80F. 1/9 came up 3 days later, and day 5 none of the rest had yet come up. I finally dug into them and saw that none had done anything, when squeezed they had the creamy puss inside explode. Some taproots just seemed to rot at the tip. Something happened to them in there, and based on sprouting development it happened day 1 or 2 of being inside the dome.

All these germination trays etc. come with humidity domes. I thought 99% RH was what you wanted until they sprout out of the ground.

I have no idea what happened here. I know you don't need to PH soak the jiffy. I know that regular tap water is fine. It has worked fine on the last 3 batches. So what the hell happened ? Should they be exposed to moving fresh air even when undergound still?
PaulieWaulie is online now Quote

Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM #2
PaulieWaulie

PaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of lightPaulieWaulie is a glorious beacon of light
All Im looking for is I should be sprouting inside a humidity dome etc with 99% humidity. I thought thats what you wanted. If you have good or bad results with a dome please share si I know. for now I will not be using it.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:20 PM #3
PaulieWaulie

Ok sounds good, thanks smug. I will stop using humidity dome, and keep them uncovered as previously.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:45 AM #4
Teddybrae
Irresponsible Hermit

Teddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud ofTeddybrae has much to be proud of
I grew a large Sativa variety. sometimes there was seed. when I trimmed the plants I threw the seed under a citrus tree in my garden. this was Autumn. come Spring the seeds germinated on one inch of rain in the mulch around the tree and kept on growing.

thought you might like to know this about Cannabis.

cheers!
Teddybrae is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 AM #5
PaulieWaulie

Yeah sometimes it seems like I'm going backward in this hobby - things that I didn't pay attention too and thought nothing hard of and did fine with before, I now completely fail and am getting super intimidated about, even though I have gained so much more knowledge and experience. Things im having issues with shouldn't be this complicated.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:54 PM #6
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieWaulie View Post
A very sad event triggers this post unfortunately.

I have been popping a lot of seeds in the last month and thought I had this down.

Well I had a freebie pack of Brown Sugar X Long Bottom Leaf from Bad Dawg, and I germinated as per normal, paper towel method, until they cracked open a bit, and then I put them into jiffy pellets as was becoming my favorite most reliable method. I have done a few pops like this recently but thought I would improve this run and put the dish of peat pellets into my humidity dome where the humidity was 95% and temps 70-80F. 1/9 came up 3 days later, and day 5 none of the rest had yet come up. I finally dug into them and saw that none had done anything, when squeezed they had the creamy puss inside explode. Some taproots just seemed to rot at the tip. Something happened to them in there, and based on sprouting development it happened day 1 or 2 of being inside the dome.

All these germination trays etc. come with humidity domes. I thought 99% RH was what you wanted until they sprout out of the ground.

I have no idea what happened here. I know you don't need to PH soak the jiffy. I know that regular tap water is fine. It has worked fine on the last 3 batches. So what the hell happened ? Should they be exposed to moving fresh air even when undergound still?
My understanding is that "new seedlings" require high humidity because until their roots get established, their uptake is through the leaves. So I use the dome and never had any issues with seeds dying off (knock on wood)

IMHO one should sit down (unmedicated) LOL and figure out the common denominator when troubleshooting. So you have had success in the past then, all of a sudden... How deep are you burying them? Could it be associated with sub par seeds for whatever reason, etc? If you have any seeds (from successful runs) left, try striking those as a benchmark so to speak, and see what happens.

Forums are great but they can be a pain, regardless of topic. Opinions are like belly buttons! When faced with a dilemma, I ask myself if the entire commercial industry uses humidity domes and, as is well... Where did I screw up?
Switcher56 is online now Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 04:23 PM #7
gladysvjubb

gladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the roughgladysvjubb is a jewel in the rough
I use a humidity dome on all my seed. I sow the beans directly in to Jiffy 7 wafers. I then put them on a horticultural heating mat. I remove the humidity dome after the first seed sprouts. Last run I got germination on 11 of 12 beans. I just removed a humidity dome today. I had a problem with Growers Choice Amnesia seeds. Only 2 out of 10 popped. When I complained they would not back up their product. I will never do business with them again. I've been growing for 47 years.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.p...light=molasses

Home distilled water: Check on ebay for countertop distillers.

Insects got you down? Try HOTSHOT No Pest Strips (NPS). Say goodbye to spider mites, etc.

$20 Hash Press https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=47524

How to transplant stress free: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.p...94#post1500194

Need durable Plant Markers? Cut an old venetian blind to your size and label with a Sharpie!

Overgrow the world

*****ANYBODY for President *****

The only WOODSTOCK I saw was the WOODSTOCK of my M-14 rifle.
gladysvjubb is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM #8
Bobby Boucher

Bobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really niceBobby Boucher is just really nice
Been down that road. Sorry for your loss. Put $400 dollars of seeds under a dome once after taking a break to rethink everything. Super discouraging. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.

I know some dank growers clone without domes or might sprout seedlings with them, but I would wager that anybody who hasn't dialed in yet would benefit from covering their clones and uncovering their seedlings.

This hobby gets stupid expensive when you start to rely on the forums for information. Better to have friends or family with real world experience who don't mind holding your hand.

Anyways.. My belly button needs a warshing. It stinks.
Bobby Boucher is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM #9
DoubleTripleOG
Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire

DoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivorDoubleTripleOG is a survivor
Pretty sure you "cooked them" to death. I say that because I have done the same thing a few years ago. Used one of those little 2" domes that come with a empty tray. Loaded it up with seeds, put the dome on. Didn't realize how hot is was gonna get that day. Dome had condensation all over the inside, soil was really warm to the touch. The seeds when squeezed were like a popped pimple, lol.

From then on, it was plant seeds directly in medium. No dome, and only a heat mat in the dead of winter.

Photosynthetically active radiation, often abbreviated PAR, designates the spectral range (wave band) of solar radiation from 400 to 700 nanometers that photosynthetic organisms are able to use in the process of photosynthesis.

I am chemically man-made like the Incredible Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangrownkush View Post
He is mad we all have the cut, supposed to be top secret nuclear bomb recipe cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
you can't get blood out of a stone.
DoubleTripleOG is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:18 PM #10
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Boucher View Post
Been down that road. Sorry for your loss. Put $400 dollars of seeds under a dome once after taking a break to rethink everything. Super discouraging. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.

I know some dank growers clone without domes or might sprout seedlings with them, but I would wager that anybody who hasn't dialed in yet would benefit from covering their clones and uncovering their seedlings.

This hobby gets stupid expensive when you start to rely on the forums for information. Better to have friends or family with real world experience who don't mind holding your hand.

Anyways.. My belly button needs a warshing. It stinks.
... any hobby gets expensive on forums!

When I was diagnosed in '12 I visited a few forums only to find 10 million cures for 1 ailment, everyone had an opinion. Some close friends had some fine ideas as well. ... and your reference would be? Nothing replaces good research and asking specific questions
Switcher56 is online now Quote