Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > interesting study on cloning

Thread Title Search
interesting study on cloning Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2018, 02:48 PM #11
Lost in a SOG

Lost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud ofLost in a SOG has much to be proud of
I always thought it was retarded to cut the ends of leaves. No surprise..
Lost in a SOG is online now Quote

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:40 PM #12
Somatek

Somatek has a spectacular aura aboutSomatek has a spectacular aura aboutSomatek has a spectacular aura aboutSomatek has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaRed View Post
One thing I have learned from grow books, sites, forums is that somewhere there is someone doing the exact opposite of what you learned. And they might be killing it.
Until now we didn't have reliable plant specific studies to draw from, now that the UoG is building a lab specifically to study the science of cannabis cultivation we'll finally have quantifiable data to work from. That's a fundamental shift and personally I'm happy to adapt my methods when I find out there's a better way, like not clipping leaf tips.
Somatek is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:03 PM #13
Defacto

Defacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the roughDefacto is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramse View Post
I wanted to bring to your attention this interesting study on cloning... which also belies some common practices usually seen as profitable.....

Thank you for showing this to us ramse!

It discredits several of my cloning practices.
Defacto is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:47 PM #14
CosmicGiggle

CosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivorCosmicGiggle is a survivor
Cool

I suck at cloning but will definitely be giving it another try, THANKS!!!
CosmicGiggle is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:20 AM #15
pokearound

pokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nicepokearound is just really nice
Great information and input. Thanks People !

Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 AM #16
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
Thanks for posting, sort of what I thought anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Good stuff. I clipped my leaves because the interwebs said so, I'll try leaving them alone next time.
I tried it too because I believed the interwebz urban myth. I haven't clipped leaves for years and I rarely have a cutting not root. It really isn't difficult. Temperature and humidity are the biggest factors especially in the first few days. It's really the same with cracking seeds TBH. For example if it's too cold you're going to have issues.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 AM #17
NzGreenWhanau

NzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura aboutNzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura aboutNzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura about
Thanks
NzGreenWhanau is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 01:56 AM #18
ramse

ramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura about
the study on cloning is part of a monograph entitled:
Propagation and Root Zone Management for Controlled Environment Cannabis Production
Author: Caplan, Deron M.

https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlui/handle/10214/14249

ABSTRACT

Cannabis producers lack reliable information on the horticultural management of their crops. This thesis research was designed to improve horticultural practices for controlled environment cannabis production; topics included propagation, growing substrates, fertilization, and irrigation. To optimize the procedures for taking vegetative stem cuttings in cannabis, several factors were evaluated on how they affect rooting success and quality (Chapter Two). These included number of leaves, leaf tip removal, basal/apical position of cutting on the stock plant, and type of rooting hormone. Removing leaf tips reduced rooting success and cuttings with three fully-expanded leaves had higher rooting success and quality than those with two. Also, a 0.2% indole-3-butyric gel was more effective than a 0.2% willow extract gel to stimulate rooting and cutting position had no effect on rooting. Coir-based substrates with different physical properties were evaluated during the vegetative and flowering stage of cannabis production; optimal organic fertilizer rates were established for each substrate (Chapters Three and Four). During the vegetative stage, cannabis performed well in both tested substrates despite the ≈11% difference in container capacity (CC) between them. During the flowering stage, the substrate with lower CC increased floral dry weight (yield) and the concentration and/or yield of some cannabinoids, including THC, compared to the substrate with higher CC. The optimal organic fertilizer rate varied by substrate during the flowering stage but not during the vegetative stage; higher fertilizer rate during the flowering stage increased growth and yield but diluted some cannabinoids. Finally, the effects of controlled drought stress timing and frequency during the flowering stage were explored on floral dry weight and secondary metabolism (Chapters Five and Six). When drought was applied during week seven of the flowering stage, through gradual substrate drying over eleven days, floral concentration and content per unit growing area of major cannabinoids were increased. When drought was applied over a period of ≈8 days during week seven, cannabinoid content was similar to a well-watered control; though, dependent on drought timing, the content of some terpenoids varied. This research provided evidence-based information that can help growers improve the quality and yield of their cannabis crops.

Presentation:

ramse is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 01:58 AM #19
ramse

ramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura aboutramse has a spectacular aura about

ramse is offline Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 04:55 AM #20
BMISS genetics

Good info...

Thanks for posting this.