Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Best thing I EVER added to my res...

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Best thing I EVER added to my res... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM #41
SeaMaiden

Noyd, the UV sterilizer will only kill free-floating microbes. This generally automatically disallows benthic nitrifiers, because, specifically, they're benthic (attached to surfaces). That's what makes it such a great adjunct in fishkeeping, because it's usually/mostly the free-floaters we want to kill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruetoo View Post
Not to take over this thread..... I can see how large doses of carbon can affect fish and Corals. Which is why I made my own referium. This with filter socks and Echobak along with algea is my filter of choice. But if the water becomes a bit tinged I will run carbon for 4 days max.

But with the girls a simple filter sock, some beni bacteria and a place to hold your bac is really all that is needed.

I will be starting my room soon, (putting togethers brothers roon atm) and I will be using a protien skimmer pump to add O2 to my res. Tho I been really looking at those keep alive pumps, they seem to do the same thing but cost a ton less.

Getting back to this thread... Yes Add filter material! Add Huge ammounts of O2 and keep her panties clean No one wants a red Bum...

Just my 2cents

Gruetoo
Do you mean a refugium, Grue? If so, did you use anything, book or similar, for the basis and basic construction? I'm specifically curious about the Fenner/Calfo book, as I was involved with that work.

I keep reading of growers incorporating venturis into their circulation systems, and have read some considering foam fractionation, but I find myself wondering about the utility of using a form of filtration that would necessarily remove many of the DOCs (dissolved organic compounds) that actually feed plants.

It's been a few years (more) since I worked the trade. What are 'keep alive' pumps? Live-bait well pumps, the battery-run or 12v ones?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM #42
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
The affordable UV sterilizers I've checked out have a limited bulb life. Some recommend running them periodically to save on bulb-hours.

Quote:

Which is why I made my own referium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaiden View Post

Do you mean a refugium, Grue?

I think he meant reeferium.
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 AM #43
noyd666

every thing has a limited life,lol. lightbulb.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 AM #44
Gruetoo

Gruetoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep goin View Post
What do you guys think about using plant benis...I use to add great white to my res...haven't tried it with the filter yet...wondering if adding them would benefit??KG
I think any in your system would be good.

As for referiums.
Way back in the day (Late 70's) Reading on sewage treatment plants, I remembered how they were using ensymes to break down poop. 10 years ago I saw some at the store but the price was just too much. So I duplclated what they were selling in plexi. Once I saw that it was a basic divided box the light came on. Not complacted, and as long as you use a protien skimmer your good to go. No need for venturis. And if it works on my corals it will work on our girls.

Add a filter
Add a place for beni bac to grow.
Increase your O2 as high as you can. Then do it again!
Wash and repeat
I also think the only way you can use too much O2 would be by adding O3 to your system.
Anyone considered adding CO2 to their water to keep the PH in their prefered growing range?
I have a calicum reactor that does just that. Adds CO2 to break down arginate blah blah blah. I do understand adding too much anything is not good. But it would be simple to have the CO2 keep the PH at your desired level. With out the use of PH down or your choice of acids...
My 2 Cents

Gruetoo
Gruetoo is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 AM #45
Gruetoo

Gruetoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader Rabbit View Post
The affordable UV sterilizers I've checked out have a limited bulb life. Some recommend running them periodically to save on bulb-hours.

I think he meant reeferium.
Hahaha Yes and Yes. No I cant spell and I have a hard time locating the spell check thingy. I ramble and hit Submit. Perhaps one day I will spell check and proof read...

Gruetoo
Gruetoo is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 AM #46
noyd666

indoor grows =basic water chemistry=by big toke is exc read. sticky.
gruetoo your spelling is ok , mine is worse lol.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:02 AM #47
juggernaut

juggernaut has a spectacular aura aboutjuggernaut has a spectacular aura aboutjuggernaut has a spectacular aura aboutjuggernaut has a spectacular aura aboutjuggernaut has a spectacular aura about
Interesting thread.
I run drip emitters and cloging is a constant problem.

I'm just worried about the carbon filters absorbing the nutrients.

Anyone have anymore on this?
juggernaut is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 AM #48
noyd666

just put post in and its gonzy, i'll wack this in and see.
there ya go, internet.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 PM #49
jason33

jason33 is on a distinguished road
does anyone have any info on, self watering pots for soil ., and or make my own outa 5 gal.bucket???any help????
jason33 is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 PM #50
SeaMaiden

Quote:
I think any in your system would be good.

As for referiums.
Way back in the day (Late 70's) Reading on sewage treatment plants, I remembered how they were using ensymes to break down poop. 10 years ago I saw some at the store but the price was just too much. So I duplclated what they were selling in plexi. Once I saw that it was a basic divided box the light came on. Not complacted, and as long as you use a protien skimmer your good to go. No need for venturis. And if it works on my corals it will work on our girls.

Add a filter
Add a place for beni bac to grow.
Increase your O2 as high as you can. Then do it again!
Wash and repeat
I also think the only way you can use too much O2 would be by adding O3 to your system.
Anyone considered adding CO2 to their water to keep the PH in their prefered growing range?
I have a calicum reactor that does just that. Adds CO2 to break down arginate blah blah blah. I do understand adding too much anything is not good. But it would be simple to have the CO2 keep the PH at your desired level. With out the use of PH down or your choice of acids...
My 2 Cents

Gruetoo
That sounds like a simple biological filter, not a refugium. A refugium uses macroalgae, live sand (substrate) and live rock in separate sections of the sump (what you were looking at built out of Plexi) through which the water flows. Those refugia using macros, especially making big use of macros, must use additional lighting for the macros (macroalgae in this context). The live rock houses nitrifiers and many, many other creatures, and the macros act specifically as nutrient accumulators.

If denitrification is desired, a low-flow section of sump, with appropriate anaerobic denitrifying microbes, is created as a bypass section of the refugium.

Most growers aren't using CO2 for water parameter manipulation, it's really pretty easy to keep it in range once you learn how to balance the salts (if that's how you roll) and begin with good, clean water, RO is preferred by many for this reason. If they *are* using it, it's in their sealed rooms during the daylight phase of photoperiod indoors. I believe they usually situation their reservoirs, if using reservoirs (sump for us) outside the rooms. You don't want a high CO2 level in plant root zones.

Because you use a Ca-reactor, you know what I do--that it's not that difficult to get CO3 into solution. I agree with you regarding O3 use in reservoirs, many folks like to use them to control odor in this context.

Are you familiar with the book Natural Marine Aquarium--Reef Invertebrates?

Last edited by SeaMaiden; 02-11-2013 at 09:03 PM..