Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > forum aims

Thread Title Search
forum aims Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 AM #11
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
I do wish to make a statement concerning this forum which to me is warmly received.

There is an intuitive aspect to scientific exploration. If it did not exist, nothing would be hypothesized, researched, discovered, nor proven. I do not wish to form a divide between those explorers with plants and dirt (media) and those explorers with plants, dirt, microscopes and academia. Rather, I wish to be a simplifying conduit between the two. This, if anything is the very meaning of my existence.

There are many accomplished growers as members here and the fruits of their labor is displayed pictorially, including those of my dear friend Verdant, however visual and thought perception are illusive and one does not always know the underlying reason for their success. This is where scientific explanation can be valuable. We can learn what it ‘actually probably’ is that is causing the growth of our plants. This is all that me and my littlebig brother, Spurr, wish to address here.

For example one may loudly state that they have a highly bacterial or fungal soil, compost or compost tea but in reality this can only be verified by microscope. This intends no belittling nor offense but is only intended to inject the scientific spectrum into what they are seeing and accomplishing so that others may replicate the techniques ‘more’ accurately and with greater understanding.

I feel some responsibility for introducing scientific application in growing techniques to ICmag outside of the well addressed breeding topic. My compatriots in this endeavor have been CT Guy and Spurr my student/teachers (whom I taught everything they know to……giggle) and now Mr Fista. Jaykush was practicing scientifically based growing techniques all along but called it ‘lessons from nature’…..Come on Jay, get with the program huh? I have always told CT guy and Spurr that they would surpass me in knowledge and teaching and indeed they are and will.

Let’s set an example with this forum and show that plain logic, reason, intuition, practice and science can come together

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage

Microbeman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:46 AM #12
mugenbao

The most interesting threads to me have always been the ones which present fact-based evidence and information about growing, so I'm very happy to see this new forum! ICMag is already the #1 resource on the internet for growing info, and this will make it easier for folks to find the most advanced growing information available.

Thanks

Old 11-24-2010, 03:50 AM #13
joe fresh

joe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to beholdjoe fresh is a splendid one to behold
a wise man once said "experience is the best form of science"
Quote:
NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT, HE WILL LOWER YOU TO HIS LEVEL AND BEAT YOU BY EXPERIENCE
The Fresh spot

Phytophythora - "The Plant Destroyer"

Pythium Root Rot in Soil and Hydroponic Applications

Salt Tolerance of Plants in Soil

Pour Thru Method for testing soil PH and EC

Substrate pH: Getting it Right for Your Crops

Marijuana Documentaries
joe fresh is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 AM #14
DIGITALHIPPY

DIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really niceDIGITALHIPPY is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by osecretgardeno View Post
There is a decent thread on defoliation here:
Defoliation

I think the interesting part of this thread will be if we can get actual scientific work on here. Pictures and comparison stories are great, but it'd be great to get properly done experiments with identical environments (way harder than it sounds) as well as proper control groups and appropriately applied scientific method.

Can't wait to see what this place can stir up, woo hoo!

peace,
sg
that thread is a tradgety and does nothing but destroy yields, my boy just lost 1/3 yield lost nug size AND had to cut the price due to mis-following that thread.
screw LUCAS forumla! were not in the 70's anymore!!!

Grow(s)
whole lot of growing! 2 3600w grows! 4 light movers 350+ plants all done!
my OG thread thread 5 runs loged in here.
333 chemdog DD's! RES's super run!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=123986
watercooled rooms!8800 watts!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....84#post2848284

Construction

The 5 minute fix for lightproofing window A/C's

Quote:
Originally Posted by treewizard View Post
We need these in every major city. One more weapon to overgrow the system.
DIGITALHIPPY is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM #15
oldbootz

oldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to beholdoldbootz is a splendid one to behold
excellent ! i dragged in my couch and will be living here for a while

Old 11-24-2010, 08:13 AM #16
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant future
hi all, not much time here but i wanted to mention a couple things. i wouldnt like this forum to dilute or detract from any of the existing growers forums. i mostly agree with microbeman's post - in many ways the organic forum is a good model for what could happen here in the botany/advanced science forum in the sense that the scientific side of organics and microbes is firmly entrenched over there and is now highly respected by all.

if we can do the same thing over here and build a resource about botany/plant behavior and how it can be applied to our grows and growing environments then that could be a great resource. sorry it's first thing in the morning here and im possibly not explaining it very well.
later - and thanks again to all

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Verdantgreen's 84W LED Organic ScrOG

VerdantGreen's organic modular ScrOG cabinet - 236W LED

VerdantGreen's low wattage veg/flower cab,

VerdantGreen's 104 watt micro grow (ScrOG)

VerdantGreen's bin growing! 28W LED Organic.

VerdantGreen's Quarters - 187w LED organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's quarters - 250HPS organic modular scrog grow diary

VerdantGreen's 63Watt LED Micro cab.

VerdantGreen's quarters - 205w LED Organic Mod. ScrOG
VerdantGreen is offline Quote

Old 11-24-2010, 06:29 PM #17
VerdantGreen
Mentor

VerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant futureVerdantGreen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFista View Post
I support VG as a mod he's far saner than I will ever be.

Thanks for putting this forum here, you OFC guys think this is the right place for my plant biology notes? If so, please could someone review them for accuracy as they were part of a learning process - not a finshed article as such. And there's gaps to fill of course.

Also, want a bunch of char science?

An article kind of like

Water retention - reference

Crop increases - reference

Controlling pH - reference

etc. I'll just do it post by post breaking down the properties of char and the science supporting these.

I think we should be firm about references - anecdotal evidence and opinions only to support and discuss the underlying science - or this forum becomes yet another huge volume of anecdotal inaccuracies, old wives tales and meanderings.

Thoughts?
Mr F, i think any contributions you can make on plant behavior, plant science and botany would be a great asset. any advanced plant subjects you feel are relevant to most growers would belong here, but if it is a subject that only relates to e.g. organic growing then imo it would be better off posted in the organic forum, char may fall into this category but you probably know that better than me.

VG

Quote:
To the large and singular furniture of this noble island i have added from foreign places all the variety of herbs and flowers that i might any way obtain.
i've laboured with the soil to make it fit for plants, and with the plants that they might delight in the soil - so they might live and prosper under our climate as in their native and proper country.
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM #18
VerdantGreen
Mentor

some more thoughts on how this might best work. remember im not in charge so these are just my suggestions

1. For those that are here mainly to learn then please read the whole thread before asking any questions - this will help avoid asking questions that have already been answered in the previous posts.

2. For those mainly here to contribute and discuss, please list all abbreviations clearly in the OP. when disagreements occur and persist, (and im sure they will ) please agree to differ before discussion and debate becomes argument and insult.

3. on anecdotal evidence and home experiments/findings - please be realistic about their limitations, for example if you use 4 different fertilizers in your soil, you cant really draw conclusions about the performance of any one of them without a lot of testing and side by sides. each grow will be different environmentally so recognize that these will all be factors that confuse any findings.

VG

Quote:
Gerard's Herbal (1636)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:30 AM #19
Guywithoutajeep

It would be great if threads were required to cite references.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM #20
TickleMyBalls
just don't molest my colas..

TickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud ofTickleMyBalls has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITALHIPPY View Post
that thread is a tradgety and does nothing but destroy yields, my boy just lost 1/3 yield lost nug size AND had to cut the price due to mis-following that thread.
haha, thats exactly what my point in that thread was. I got sick of fighting with that dude. I got so much negative rep from warning people that, that technique is dangerous in the wrong hands and will destroy yields. I'm sorry your friend had a bad run, but glad to hear that news. I'm proud I stood my ground against all of the shit talking I experienced there.

I'm excited for this forum! great idea OP and Gypsy and any mods involved in the decision.

Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis
Natural guttation on cannabis flowers

legal med patient/caregiver

“I wound up doing time for something I should have been rewarded for, What I did was a community service, the way I look at it. I was punished for political reasons. Absolutely meaningless. Was I a criminal? No. I was a good member of society. Only my society and the one making the laws are different.”- Owsley Stanley R.I.P

If you can heal the symptom, but not affect the cause, it's quite a bit like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze
TickleMyBalls is offline Quote