What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GIRL's GOT SKILLS

Aspenou812

Veteran
taking cuts under water? hmm thats a new one to me.... I don't see how it could hurt... just seems like extra work

Maybe an extra step but there is no way a clone can develop the dreaded air embolism.... if you make the cuts in water....:biggrin: GIRL's GOT SKILLS....

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe an extra step but there is no way a clone can develop the dreaded air embolism.... if you make the cuts in water....:biggrin: GIRL's GOT SKILLS....

thats the reason for soaking them overnight too , pushes all the air out & fills the stems with water . then you do your 45 cut & scraping .

MrBungle

What are you guys using to make the final cut underwater? razors?

I use 1 razor for no more than 5 cuts.... and use a new section of blade for each cut....

I don't soak the cuts or any of that... just right into the cloner.....

I probably prevent the air bubbles in the stem by having my cloner run 24/7

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are you guys using to make the final cut underwater? razors?

I use 1 razor for no more than 5 cuts.... and use a new section of blade for each cut....

I don't soak the cuts or any of that... just right into the cloner.....

I probably prevent the air bubbles in the stem by having my cloner run 24/7

try soaking them next time & watch the difference it makes in the strength of the cuts .

waltersobchak

Holy hell, thanks for the lightning fast response Dan. Your spiddy sense must have been tingling...Much appreciated. Now I feel pretty comfortable jumping into today's cloning adventure!

Been creepin this thread and your posts pretty hard, among others, watching, reading, and trying to learn from others success and failures until I have some of my own.

Thank you all

waltersobchak

Walts FL Herb Strategy
Drive 20 miles any direction until you hit a dropzone. Do a skydive and make friends, a lot of us scuba and free dive too...
Ask if they get safe? Skydiving is dangerous, The higher you are, the safer you are. Stay safe people

Budley Doright

Veteran
Just a couple observations....

There is no reason to make cuts under water..... Ive done a zillion cuts and none under water....

Bury a node.... what you are doing when you strip a node and burying it..... is exposing the cambium layer..... when cutting at a 45 you are exposing more of the cambium layer....but you can also not bury the node and accomplish the same thing by scraping a thin strip off one side of the stem.....it exposes the cambium layer and the clone will root faster......

fwiw.....

here is a picture of a very large clone where I scraped opposite side.... you can clearly see the cut rooted on opposite sides where the stem was scraped....and no rooting occured where I left the stem natural...

waltersobchak

iu

I'll go back to lurking now

Aspenou812

Veteran
Walts FL Herb Strategy
Drive 20 miles any direction until you hit a dropzone. Do a skydive and make friends, a lot of us scuba and free dive too...
Ask if they get safe? Skydiving is dangerous, The higher you are, the safer you are. Stay safe people

Don't know about Skydiving.... I've tried it once... It was ok but all that time getting ready for a 1 minute fall just killed me.... Now on the other hand... If it can be done on or in the water I'm down.... Our boat is always ready to go....:biggrin:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Just a couple observations....

There is no reason to make cuts under water..... Ive done a zillion cuts and none under water....

Bury a node.... what you are doing when you strip a node and burying it..... is exposing the cambium layer..... when cutting at a 45 you are exposing more of the cambium layer....but you can also not bury the node and accomplish the same thing by scraping a thin strip off one side of the stem.....it exposes the cambium layer and the clone will root faster......

fwiw.....

here is a picture of a very large clone where I scraped opposite side.... you can clearly see the cut rooted on opposite sides where the stem was scraped....and no rooting occured where I left the stem natural...

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61683&pictureid=1466911&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Thanks Budly... I use a straight razor and the outside layers just jump off... Its so easy with a straight razor for me... Good info though thanks

Bobbo4200

Veteran
untill a good root system is built up , you can smother the roots & slow the growth if watering/feeding to often . its a fine line & takes awhile to learn where that line is .
i went over the feeding of fresh transplants or young plants a few posts back in here somewhere .

this ........ [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]just make sure to go easy on the feeding for the first couple weeks . every 3 days or so & just enough to feed the plant . you don't want to smother the roots & slow the growth down . they need that dryness to build the roots . then once they get fully developed you can feed daily & eventually 3 or 4 times a day . [/FONT]

Thank you kind sir, I appreciate it.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Had the very best day of my Life yesterday..... Got to see some beautiful things.... Just me and my little Dove.... A day to remember before the storm hits....A deserted beach island. a good reef full of LIFE to explore.... Free diving with her new skins, weights masks,snorkel and long freedive fins... And of course she was sporting my old sling spear.... yea.... STORM.... Bring that shit on...

Aspenou812

Veteran
Got camp packed up and loaded...Now if i could figure out how to get her out of the water long enough to go home at some point this morning a shower and coffee would go a long way....

Drumskinz

Yeah I hope you guys stay safe in Florida. My brother has a place in Cape Coral was there back in feb. and now it looks like they are in the crosshairs.

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes Aspen Please .... if your in the path at all ... get the fuck outa dodge !!!! screw the clones & garden , get to safe ground !!!!

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
shits jacked up here n the a , so much traffic it feels like rush hr on a saturday motocycle ride. my buddy @ expedia says all hotels are booked up, hope you got a sweet safhouse

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
- I made the new cuts at a node and made the cut under water then dipped into the rooting powder..... Always make a cut at the node if possible nodes are full of hormones... rooting hormones...
-

i dident know that
when i clone in promix or coco i always made sure a node was in the soil as that was where the roots came out.
but in my turbo cloner most my roots r on the stem part not at the node :dunno:

Aspenou812

Veteran
I've been getting everything prepped and storm ready.... I'm outside now and the winds don't feel right.... I'm 380 miles away from the keys... And I have 30 knot winds right now.... Landfall in the morning... The storm is moving to the west... If it misses landfall and comes north through the water I'm fucked.... I'm getting concerned... I would stay without hesatition but with Little Dove I'm concerned ..... M&M has her family packed up just in case... Its the winds.... They just don't feel right..... The strong salt smell.... Just not right.... Everything here is locked down.... Think ill start packing.... Just in case