What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

News and current events

X

xavier7995

Sup my dudes, thought i would throw a thread out there to discuss random news items. All opinions and takes on whatever are welcome, i do ask that people stick to verifiable facts though. Election stuff can stick to its own thread and the infowars thread can do what it does.

So...is California going to break off with all this earthquake stuff?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The west coast has the pacific plate pretty much going east into North America, witness the Rockies.
The northern end is hitting first, the Cascade range up north, Sacramental valley closed off and lifted, the Baja peninsula closing in. This imparts a push to the north.

So while the coast is sliding north it is also being pushed east, so it will never break off, it will get taller.

Interestingly, where this slippage ends in the Alaska Range, home of Denali (The Great One), the plate is thick enough to turn this northward motion into a spiral with surface movement going back south on the western edge.

The latest two earthquakes, one was an east west fault due to the pacific plate pushing into North America, and the second was a south north fault from the upward slide.
Lots of quakes in this size range keep the larger ones less frequent, a good thing.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

What does it matter, it's the end of civilization as we know it, with the way things are going it might be all for the best or at least break it up in to 3 states politically as we limp towards the finish line.:moon:

St. Phatty

Those mountains ... the Sierras ... and all the mountains in Oregon and Washington ... and then there are the Rockies

did not just rise quietly out of the desert sand.

Plus a lot of them - Shasta, Rainier - are volcanoes.

As far as how active they are, Mt. St. Helens answered that a few years ago.

On the Mother Nature Doing Her Thing front, the Gulf of Mexico is cooking up some decent storms.

Ocean surface temperatures are in the high 80's and that is what hurricanes like.

If surface temperatures get into the low 90's there will probably be some even more interesting things happening. I've been watching those maps since 2005 and I haven't seen the temps get higher than the high 80's.

And this is what my cat typed -
3.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0333333333333333333333333333333333333332

X

xavier7995

If they broke up California i would hope they do the same with texas, given electoral votes and such. Switch to the popular vote would fix that.

Dont be so pessimistic, stuff will be alright.

X

xavier7995

Hope things go alright for new orleans.

Stock market hit a record high today on talk of a rate cut. I am not sure why it is necessary, stock market and economy are doing alright. Rates have been way to low for a long time, the 5's seem reasonable. Curious if we might start seeing some damage from the tariffs and this is a preemptive move to blunt that. Markets bound to come down sometime, pumping it up like this both reduces the feds ability to react in future crises and also winds up inflicting the most damage on the middle class as they get shaken out and arent able to catch the full ride back up like wealthier folks that can buy in at the bottom.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/feds-powell-affirms-rate-cut-162807108.html

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Those mountains ... the Sierras ... and all the mountains in Oregon and Washington ... and then there are the Rockies

did not just rise quietly out of the desert sand.

Plus a lot of them - Shasta, Rainier - are volcanoes.

As far as how active they are, Mt. St. Helens answered that a few years ago.

On the Mother Nature Doing Her Thing front, the Gulf of Mexico is cooking up some decent storms.

Ocean surface temperatures are in the high 80's and that is what hurricanes like.

If surface temperatures get into the low 90's there will probably be some even more interesting things happening. I've been watching those maps since 2005 and I haven't seen the temps get higher than the high 80's.

And this is what my cat typed -
3.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0333333333333333333333333333333333333332

maybe you should get your cat her own laptop? :biggrin:

St. Phatty

maybe you should get your cat her own laptop? :biggrin:

What he needs is a mouse, with a human looking hand thing attached.

He always rubs his head against the hand that holds the mouse.

Then he leans on the keyboard.

I give him 30 seconds of TLC then move him to the floor.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
If they broke up California i would hope they do the same with texas, given electoral votes and such. Switch to the popular vote would fix that.

Dont be so pessimistic, stuff will be alright.

:laughing: .... stuff will never be alright until the world population is seriously and dramatically reduced to a Stone-age level and mother nature is allowed to re-forest the land and re-populate the sea and the world starts all over again with a lot of new species evolving in the meantime.

What's been happening in California for the past couple of years is just a taste of what's to come, sorry! :clock watch:

St. Phatty

:laughing: .... stuff will never be alright until the world population is seriously and dramatically reduced to a Stone-age level and mother nature is allowed to re-forest the land and re-populate the sea and the world starts all over again with a lot of new species evolving in the meantime.

What's been happening in California for the past couple of years is just a taste of what's to come, sorry! :clock watch:

The bottom line -

How much electrical energy can you generate,
using cardio ?

E.g. the bicycle attached to the generator.

That's our daily budget for some kinds of energy.

Yes it can be augmented by burning wood to heat bathwater, harnessing the tides to run generators, burning refined liquid hydrocarbons in our vehicles, but -

That daily Body weight x 2000 feet (for me it would be about
360,000 foot pounds) is about how much energy we have available as a resource, per person, per day.

That's about like doing a 5 mile hill-climb, with a 1000 foot vertical, twice, on a bicycle.

Living within that budget is the bottom line of most calculations that involve our Energy Future.

in addition to burning wood, coal, or clean trash, to heat water & the home.

However there may be some speed bumps along the way. :ying:

X

xavier7995

...but the grow lights...wont someone please think of the grow lights. At least it would solve the obesity epidemic.

White Beard

Hopefully, we’re at an evolutionary fork, and we’ll either claw our way back to the Stone Age, or we can learn that profits for rich people is a pretty low standard re: viability, and DO A BETTER JOB OF LIVING HERE.

Now that the old order is gutting itself live on TV daily, we might end up with enough clear brains to do better.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Living within that budget is the bottom line of most calculations that involve our Energy Future.

in addition to burning wood, coal, or clean trash, to heat water & the home.

However there may be some speed bumps along the way. :ying:

speed bumps like what, the food supply collapsing, no more wood to burn or not being able to get coal, that sort of day-to-day reality?:bigeye:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Man, I know I've not popped my head out for a while, but are you guys really discussing the apocalypse in a news and current events thread? Things must be worse than I thought.

St. Phatty

speed bumps like what, the food supply collapsing, no more wood to burn or not being able to get coal, that sort of day-to-day reality?:bigeye:

depends on the definition of food supply.

If people are willing to eat redworms and insects that grow in human excrement - there will be enough food.

the American version, throwing away food, obesity etc., is a temporary luxury/option that won't always be available.

re the wood - it's unevenly distributed. I have about literally 1 million pounds, if we include rotten wood and give me time to remove the blue tail lizards before it's burned.

( Lots of animals hibernate in the logs, so I tear apart all the rotten logs before I do a controlled burn. )

So there I am burning, for wildfire safety reasons, while people in many other places, have none.

I'd be happy to give it to them. But it's on a steep hillside and it's not easy to get to. I've tried advertising it on Craigslist.

When Robert Hirsch wrote the Hirsch Report, released in 2005 I think, he used the term Economic Dis-Location to describe the effects of energy becoming more expensive, and how that affects everything, including food production.

The sh-t on the sidewalks in SF - that's Economic Dis-Location.

The homeless towns in LA & Venice - more Economic Dis-Location.

So, "speed bump", "economic dis-location", these terms are euphemisms to describe a sad situation where people's lives careers & futures are basically destroyed because a normal job no longer covers the cost of rent and health care - in the US.

Had to look at the title - "News and current events".

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man, I know I've not popped my head out for a while, but are you guys really discussing the apocalypse in a news and current events thread? Things must be worse than I thought.

Welcome to the New ic mag

St. Phatty

One person's apocalypse is Jeffrey Bezos' asset.

One of the things about automation is - the benefits of it do not accrue evenly, across society.

The benefits of automation accrue to the owners.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If the people need masters to organise them and put them to work, the people have lost more than the wealth

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

One of the things about automation is - the benefits of it do not accrue evenly, across society.

The benefits of automation accrue to the owners.

Reading responses to this thread I get the feeling that some folks are relying on the belief in technology to save us while 'Mother Nature' will just quietly laugh at our hubris as she does her thing.:joint: