What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stay Away from Gorilla Grow tents

I would absolutely prefer an actual room to my 4X4 tent but none of the rooms are small enough and none of the closets are big enough, nothing close to an 8X8 room. Also the number one reason for tents is it enables you to exhaust the grow space through carbon filter.

Secret Jardin 4X4 seems just about perfect to me except for one thing - it gives off a chemical odor - outgassing - even after one year of use it still gives off a toxic smell.

Gorilla does sound like shit, I have an older Secret Jardin and nothing is flaking off or falling apart. The zippers on the older SJ"s are bad though, the current ones are much better.

I'm really glad I came across this might as well go with a cheaper brand then the grow store where I live have a few options all very reasonably priced - how much would it cost to set up a full 4x4 tent? lights, exhaust and all?

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have a secret jardin 4x4 I veg in and a GGT 5x9 I flower in. The gorilla tent is superior no doubt. If I had to buy another tent of any size I would buy gorilla without even considering another brand. It sux some ppl have had a bad experience with their GGT but mine is a beast. Not sure how it would hold up breaking it down and resetting it up though.

G

OK I can understand that,sometimes I seem to forget that the majority of folks actually live with other people.not just dogs lol
And some of us are growing in non 420 states and security isnt just a word. Im in a closet. I have to keep smell to pretty much zero. I vent thru a filter to the attic and even then when the girls are nearly done I can still catch a whiff in the garage and house. Outside wind moves enough to dissipate any smell.

BTW I have a Gorilla 2X2.5X7 tent in a closet and its holding up fine for me after a year and a half. Anyone who counts on the liner to stop all water isnt too bright. Thats why there are plastic trays and pans. Matter of fact I found a new tray Im going to source for next grow. Its a rabbit cage tray made of heavy plastic 2" deep.
My walls are still looking same as new and zippers and Velcro are fine. I never use the windows so not opening them means no issues.
I am considering adding a better reflective material though as best I can and thats why I came across this thread.

G

I have a secret jardin 4x4 I veg in and a GGT 5x9 I flower in. The gorilla tent is superior no doubt. If I had to buy another tent of any size I would buy gorilla without even considering another brand. It sux some ppl have had a bad experience with their GGT but mine is a beast. Not sure how it would hold up breaking it down and resetting it up though.

Im wondering the same thing. After this grow I have to break it all down and store it so I can have some people in the house to do some work and cant take the chance of them seeing or smelling anything.
Will start a new grow in the fall once I chop and dry the current grow in a week or two.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I'm really glad I came across this might as well go with a cheaper brand then the grow store where I live have a few options all very reasonably priced - how much would it cost to set up a full 4x4 tent? lights, exhaust and all?

check the poles though - the cheap tents have weak, small-diameter poles. Secret Jardin have thick poles and solid corner fittings. You want sturdier ones to hang your light and possibly filter. Gorilla has by far the strongest tents - just look at how much they weigh.

I used to have the 120v Gavita 600w HPS - it weighs 13 pounds. I gave it to a friend and his shitty ebay tent could not support the weight. Also the zippers catch & jerk and are difficult to use.

How much will the whole thing cost? There's a huge range depending on quality. You need the tent, light, exhaust fan, and carbon filter.

YetiOG

Btw....those so called floor.liners that come with any brand tent are a joke at best. They flake up with quickness...even after one or two crops. Waterproof they are not. Any brand tent....floor liners are a joke.

I had good experiences with mammoth tents and a secret Harding 2x2. No issues with floor liners leaking or failing in anyway.

I actually had great results but I also was very careful how I treated my tents

onavelzy

Veteran
I ordered one of these to put in my tent for next grow. Took a long time to find one that fits my smaller tent.

https://www.martinscages.com/products/supplies/pans.htm

couldn't get your link to work. I tried to paste it without the https but it adds it automatically.

i worked around by doing it manually:

enter martinscages.com in the URL bar
then click parts and supplies link on the left
then click the pans link

It's a nice find. Consider posting it in the Tips, Tricks, etc link also:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=317311

G

couldn't get your link to work. I tried to paste it without the https but it adds it automatically.

i worked around by doing it manually:

enter martinscages.com in the URL bar
then click parts and supplies link on the left
then click the pans link

It's a nice find. Consider posting it in the Tips, Tricks, etc link also:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=317311

I figured anyone who was curious enough would do that. Sadly shipping is as much as the tray but only need to buy it once.

onavelzy

Veteran
I figured anyone who was curious enough would do that. Sadly shipping is as much as the tray but only need to buy it once.

I looked on the 'zon web site for rabbit trays. the ones that popped up were a little more than the ones on the Martins cages site ($28 for a 24x24", $34 for a 30x30") but you can get free shipping so it works out a lot cheaper, for where I live any way.

With respect to tents, I looked pretty hard at the Gorilla tents but ended up going with a Secret Jardin because the line had the tallest tent that I could fit in my 8' ceiling space.

The gorilla tents extensions apparently won't work in a room of that height because you need at least 3" of clearance to get the extension on. It might could work if you could bend the tent supports enough but I wasn't willing to risk that much money.

The SJ was $290 for a 5x5x7'9" with free shipping. I've had no problems with it in terms of zippers, light leaks, flaking etc but I've only been using it since Feb this year. I wish the windows on the sides were different and I would have liked some more ceiling struts but it's fine so far. I'm not going to try doing any pull ups off of the ceiling struts any time soon. they don't seem that strong.