What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stay Away from Gorilla Grow tents

mtntrogger

Veteran
Good thread man, I was soooo close to dropping the extra loot on the Gorilla and at the last second got a hydrobuilder. Not perfect either, had some pin holes right outta the box, still decent and at least I didnt spend double. Would rather have a 200 dollar POS that 500 dollar POS.

KONY

Veteran
IME, the best thing about 4x8 Secret jardin tents, aside from their durability is the fact they have FULL SIZE rear access doors. I do not believe this is the case with any of the cheap ebay tents, I would love to be wrong though.

This way you can easily water the backside, without having to deal with a big lip in the door.

BigFoote

I use a 4X8 GrowLab here, feel its well designed and I like the windows. The material has held up well over two years with multiple break down and moves. My only complaints, I wish it had 10" opening for ducting and the little metal part on the zipper you slid in the start it has slow started to rip away. I have been super careful about how I zip it up as well. The bars to hold my lights sag more than I like too but I run a 8" Magnum XXXL so its got some weight.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Two months back I switched from a Diy 2x2x5 box to a Gorilla Grow tent for ease of take down. I am two weeks into flower and two of the velcro tabs that block light have already failed. The stitching is terrible on all the seams and I have had to use a ton of gorilla tape to block light leaks created by shoddy sewing, failed velcro and bottom zippers that don't have a flap covering them. I really wish I hadn't fallen for the hype and just bought a cheaper tent.
This isn't my first tent. I ran a Secret Jardin for a year but replaced it with the above mentioned Diy box when I switched to an air cooled HPS and needed to run independent cooling for the light. The reason I mention this is because I know that no tent is light tight out of the box but I really expected more due to all the hype and the inflated cost. The tent is plenty thick which is nice but doesn't matter if all the velcro used to seal it is crap.
To anyone thinking of spending the extra $ and getting a premium tent, please don't. Buy a cheaper tent. Your still gonna have to Diy it no matter what you do, save yourself some cash. I'm gonna have to buy a heavy duty sewing machine now and spend the time to learn how to use just so I can get my moneys worth out of this POS. Don't fall for the hype this tent will let you down.

Do you have any pics of this POS gorilla tent? I just bought a 5x9 gorilla tent and it is pretty freakon stout, dude. I'm still adding equipment to it gearing up to start flowering in it. But so far, it whips the secret jardin's ass I've been flowering in for years. Dont get me wrong, the SJ is great but side by side, it's a no brainer.

Who knows, maybe the heavy duty gorilla will just fall apart on me in a few months! :dunno: I never take down a tent once I put it up. Maybe that'll help.

:tiphat:

I still have my original Homebox from back pre 2010.
When i look at the bay nowadays the price dropped to like 1/4 what we payed back then, so u guess there is also a lack of quality.

People want cheap... so they get cheap quality :)

holy

Can't speak for larger sizes but my 2x4 and 2x2.5 gorilla tents have functioned perfectly. I've had water leaks that filled up the floor an inch or so and it's been solid.. no signs of wear after at least 6 cycles in my 2x4. All zippers work like new, no stitching coming undone. I've never had a different tent but I'm totally content with mine.. sure there's a pinhole light leak here and there but I've never had any hermies in it. I do clamp a blanket that covers the windows cuz the Velcro around them can allow some light out if not perfectly aligned.. I'm a fan.

Rondon

The most important dealy with any tent is if it has metal or plastic connection fasteners....for the corners and shit. And again...ive had the high dollar popular name brand ones in the past. Never again. 189.00 Amazon Lighthouse Hydro 6x6x6 tent is fine for me. All brands zippers and stitching will fail. I promise.

Beanzy

Warranty

Warranty

No I bought the more expensive original 2x2.5 gorilla tent. I originally planned to get the lite line, but decided on the original due to its thicker material.

Don't they have some type of warranty? Gorilla goes on and on how and why they are the shit when it comes to tents.
Just goes to show with most things what we think is best just costs more because of all the advertising they put into feeding the illusion.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
The most important dealy with any tent is if it has metal or plastic connection fasteners....for the corners and shit. And again...ive had the high dollar popular name brand ones in the past. Never again. 189.00 Amazon Lighthouse Hydro 6x6x6 tent is fine for me. All brands zippers and stitching will fail. I promise.
How's the frame?

Rondon

Decent..all.metal...including corner connections. Stitching sucks. Zippers are serviceable at best....just like all the rest. I use it for veg. 3 6 bulb four foot t5 fixtures.

lr3

Save the money, Gorillas are trash

Save the money, Gorillas are trash

With about 6 mos of use--my gorilla 2x4 started having the inside reflective coating blister then flake. I had used it for 6 mos, took it down and stored it in a cool dry place then set it up again a few years later--a couple months into the grow the blisters got worse and broke open--now the coating is flaking. Called gorilla, told them what happened--they accused me of abusing the tent. This was not the first or only problem with the tent.

After a few weeks of use, the velcro on the window started to fail--would not stick anymore, had to tape it with black duct tape.

Zippers started tearing away at the stitch lines about 3 months into it. I could see if we had beat on the thing but we handled it pretty damn carefully.

I got an Apollo 3 mos ago--way less money and Zero problems. and for 1/3 the price, I expected problems but have yet to have one. If i do, I could just toss it and buy another--but not so with Gorilla.

Advice: Keep away from Gorilla Grow Tent--they use use heavier materials, and have a taller model--but their workmanship is sub par--and their materials as well (the fabric may be heavy but what good is it if the reflective coating peels off). And they do not stand behind their product--they will look for ways to deny that it was an issue with their quality and instead blame the consumer--and offer you a discount on another piece of crap tent. Buyer beware.

Rondon

There all the same. Besides material thickness...there all the same. Eventually the mylar insides will flake and peel...especially the floor "liner" they all come with. Zippers will eventually crap out. Stitching will bust...on all of them eventually. If you break them down amd set them up again at different locations...they really take a beating. Just buy the cheap ones in my opinion. Gorillas and the other high dollar tents...they arw riding on the name and the marketing.

Floridian

Veteran
I guess someome has to be the total dumbass in this thread and ask the question.Why?Why would you need an enclosure like a tent in a room that in my mind would suffice as a great growing environment?I keep hearing about a 4 ft size tent,I flower in an 8 by 8 room and never have had to consider things like zippers and floor leaks.What is the benefit of a tent?If your tent is 4 ft wide it has to be in a room that's 6ft minimum,and probably 8 ft like so many small bedrooms.It's probably a stupid question after I receive an answer but I just can't understand why someone would want to limit themselves in an enclosure that obviously has many flaws,why not just use the room that the tent is in?

starke

Actually Floridian, it's not that uncommon. I own my own three bedroom home on a couple acres in the Sunshine State. I don't have the balls to grow outside. The misses and I are raising one of our grandkids who lives with us so that takes care of one bedroom and the master. Unfortunately, my "spare" third bedroom has to remain a bedroom for family visitors, other grandkids spending the night etc. I would love to have a room instead of a tent but right now my only option is a 5x5x8 Gorilla tent in the master with the wife and I.

Floridian

Veteran
OK I can understand that,sometimes I seem to forget that the majority of folks actually live with other people.not just dogs lol

Rondon

For my setup...i use a 6x6 (might be a 7x7 i dont remember) for veg. They have thier place. For people that cant build or use a real room but no way will i ever flower in a tent again. Too crowded. The 10 x10 ones they make are too small and those gigantor ones are ridiculous. Just build out a room. Make it custom for what your trying to do. Gave up on tents awhile back except for vegging and a smaller test tent. I run sealed with a Mitsubishi split and sante fe dehuet with co2. Tents cant hang with all that.

I guess someome has to be the total dumbass in this thread and ask the question.Why?Why would you need an enclosure like a tent in a room that in my mind would suffice as a great growing environment?I keep hearing about a 4 ft size tent,I flower in an 8 by 8 room and never have had to consider things like zippers and floor leaks.What is the benefit of a tent?If your tent is 4 ft wide it has to be in a room that's 6ft minimum,and probably 8 ft like so many small bedrooms.It's probably a stupid question after I receive an answer but I just can't understand why someone would want to limit themselves in an enclosure that obviously has many flaws,why not just use the room that the tent is in?

because you could actually control the environment and vent better - you capture more light and direct it more. You can keep the air circulating around your buds cleaner and have better control over the environment (humidity, temp, etc.)
why else would we build actual grow rooms for grows instead of bedrooms? You could destroy a room with humidity requirements - so better to enclose it in a smaller space - you ever heard of people saying "You need to enclose the space around your buds" - good grows will have a white tarp or mylar close to their buds to trap as much light as possible - the less space around your buds the better.

It is also mobile - you can take it down easily if need be. So many benefits have none of them really come to mind?

Another reason I heard one lady who grows in a bedroom say they have to "fight with the air conditioner and heater" - if you don't care about quality I guess you could just throw a light up in a room - but if you want a better harvest then it is best to have good temps and humidity levels. You want to get the best environment possible to grow dank buds and it is easier and makes less of a mess if you have a controlled room to do so.

hmm that's too bad - the grow store by my house has a ggt lite for $250 it's a 4x4 and I was thinking about picking it up. My thought is might as well spend the extra 50 to buy from a well established brand then by picking one up on ebay. Plus the structure is better - I plan to put up a heavy hps and want a strong structure to hold it up - I wouldn't gripe too much about the Velcro I mean that can be replaced.

Muleskinner

Veteran
I would absolutely prefer an actual room to my 4X4 tent but none of the rooms are small enough and none of the closets are big enough, nothing close to an 8X8 room. Also the number one reason for tents is it enables you to exhaust the grow space through carbon filter.

Secret Jardin 4X4 seems just about perfect to me except for one thing - it gives off a chemical odor - outgassing - even after one year of use it still gives off a toxic smell.

Gorilla does sound like shit, I have an older Secret Jardin and nothing is flaking off or falling apart. The zippers on the older SJ"s are bad though, the current ones are much better.

Latest posts

Latest posts