What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2012 Outdoor, NE

Phantomx

Didn't you say that you'll make 4'x4' holes?

I don't know about most of your amendments, but you can replace the powder lime part with gypsum or oyster shells. I use about 20cups of fertilizer with npk near 3:3:3 per 25gal, I made an mistake and added the double dodes for one hole this year, we'll see what happens.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Didn't you say that you'll make 4'x4' holes?

I don't know about most of your amendments, but you can replace the powder lime part with gypsum or oyster shells. I use about 20cups of fertilizer with npk near 3:3:3 per 25gal, I made an mistake and added the double dodes for one hole this year, we'll see what happens.

I did say it, but I think I might have to re-valuate it... I think I might make the holes enough for 10-15gal of soil and maybe use 1:3 or even 1:4 ratio of my mix to local soil. I can just fluff the soil around the holes in order to get the roots to go thru it...

The local soil should be pretty good. Gonna have to go back to the location and take a look since when i was there it had snow on the ground...

My seeds are not feminized so I'll prolly end up killing half of the plants (males). That way I don't do much unnecessary work and invest too much money on holes that wont be used.

What do y'all think?

Peace

mendo420

Veteran
your mix looks good.
you have a few sources for Ca.

I would cut out Granular Lime if you have Powder Lime and Oystel Shell.
you mentioned you already had them so add them.

make bigger holes than 5 gal, 4x4 sounds better or 12x12 if your jiggy with it.:dance013:

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
your mix looks good.
you have a few sources for Ca.

I would cut out Granular Lime if you have Powder Lime and Oystel Shell.
you mentioned you already had them so add them.

make bigger holes than 5 gal, 4x4 sounds better or 12x12 if your jiggy with it.:dance013:

Hey Mendo420, thanks for the input brother, def gonna consider making them big holes and ditching the granular lime...

12x12 sounds like a lot of work tho :D

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Talked to growbro today... Some seeds are being sprouted as we speak...

Found out we got some Casey Jones x Sour Bubble freebies that will also be going out.

Gonna consider ditching the bone/blood meals and increasing the guanos since I know there are coyotes in the area.

The lineup will be:

20x Atlantic Diesel
10x Ace Erdpurt
10x HFH Deep Passion
10x Casey Jones x Sour bubble

Hopefully we will end up with 25 females.

Any ideas when we will be able to identify sex on the plants outdoors?

Thinking also of making 6x5 holes and maybe putting 2 per hole...

What yall think?!

Thanks, Peace!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Since I'll need more soil I'm thinking of adding some coco and vermiculite to the mix, 5kg bail of coco (2.5cu) and 1cu of vermiculite. Will be ditching the bone/blood meal and adding some extra guanos. Will also get a 10-10-1 guano for when the stretch starts to top dress.

Once I'm able to take males off I'll be adding some bark mulch that I'll be getting at the local nursery to the females.

Let me know what y'all think!

peace!

Rolldaddy

What's up everyone???

I also live in Ma. This year will be my first outdoor crop so any info is appreciated. I have a few very nice a stealthy location picked out that will get direct sunlight most of the day. My original concern is if we are too far north for the buds to fully develop before it gets too cold but after reading many posts I don't think that will be a big issue. I am on lat. 42. I have many fem beans of several different kinds mostly indica and indica/sativa hybrids. I am also making clones from the moms I have inside.

I also have a bunch of containers I plan on using that range from 15 to 30 gallons. My idea was that by using them the roots will only be in the soil I put them in. I am also under the impression that by doing that way it will help protect them from the environment/animals. From reading the above posts from people with experience in these areas I am now thinking maybe I should take some precautions in protecting my babies from the local elements. Any advise or previous experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RD

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
What's up everyone???

I also live in Ma. This year will be my first outdoor crop so any info is appreciated. I have a few very nice a stealthy location picked out that will get direct sunlight most of the day. My original concern is if we are too far north for the buds to fully develop before it gets too cold but after reading many posts I don't think that will be a big issue. I am on lat. 42. I have many fem beans of several different kinds mostly indica and indica/sativa hybrids. I am also making clones from the moms I have inside.

I also have a bunch of containers I plan on using that range from 15 to 30 gallons. My idea was that by using them the roots will only be in the soil I put them in. I am also under the impression that by doing that way it will help protect them from the environment/animals. From reading the above posts from people with experience in these areas I am now thinking maybe I should take some precautions in protecting my babies from the local elements. Any advise or previous experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RD

Hey dude, welcome!

I'm around lat 42 also!

I would reconsider using pots... if the soil is decent (forest or native ground) I would dig holes. Using containers you will have to water more often and have to keep an eye for it. With the ground you will be able to go much longer without watering and also more root space, therefore bigger trees... Also there is a bigger biodiversity of micro-organisms in the ground that will help to feed the plant. Dig a hole and put some organic amendments and you should be ready to go... If possible bring some soil and mix some with the native soil, that should help the plant to establish a solid root foundation!

I would look into earlier finish strains so you can avoid the humid late season where mold starts building up and ruining a good amount of smoke.

Against animals, I'm going to make a cage and leave it there for the 1st month or so, after that you don't have much to worry. There is a stickie in the Outdoors forum that has a lot of useful info on it.

Good luck on the outdoor season!

Green Sky

Marshes are GREAT!!! , just make a sneaky trail into the spot - maybe drag some brush in to camoflauge after you leave, then put up a Deer- tree stand near your entry trail.

As for growing in the Swamp, you need to wear waders (hopefully) , and get to hillocks, or raised ground. Then you need to build a raised bed with rocks, logs, or soil from your hole. This (might) keep any rising water out of the hole. ( if it floods again, oh well).
I line the bottom of the hole with gravel, then promix and whatever soil I can reclaim.

So far, these sites have been my safest.

Use the Cattails to your advantage.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
All seeds getting germinated! Around 50!

Got also some Casey Jones x Sour Bubble freebies (loudog420) that will be joining the pack!

Seeds went to wet paper towel and will be put on solo cups with a 33/33/33 Peat/Perlite/EWC with some dolomite mix!

They should veg under some CFL's till the end of the month under 15hrs light. End of 1st week they should out be outside under the God's HPS!

Peace

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone here in NE have any experience growing near any marsh like grounds?

I'd like to know this too, specifically near brackish water marshes. I know salt water and cannabis don't mix well. If you grow in pots with your own soil mix you probably won't have to worry too much, besides flooding which you could solve that by raising the pots. Does any one have any experience in an environment like that? Or what further precautions to take?

Rolldaddy

@ smoke a lot
Or anyone else interested

The water is brackish so I think I will stick to my original plan of using some large containers I have. Unless some one that has experience with those conditions can school me with some other info

L

LouDog420

Tagged up.

Best of luck with your grow this year brother.

The CJ/SB should really like it there, especially with the care and attention you'll be able to provide. They were made right around 42N, just not so high in elevation! Expect finishers between first and third week of October, depending on the pheno...

blowbubbles.gif

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Tagged up.

Best of luck with your grow this year brother.

The CJ/SB should really like it there, especially with the care and attention you'll be able to provide. They were made right around 42N, just not so high in elevation! Expect finishers between first and third week of October, depending on the pheno...

View Image

Hey Dude,

Nice to have you around! Thats great to know they were made around 42N, I'm about the same latitude, they will feel at home ;)

Thanks for the harvest info too, wasn't sure when they would be done, so that's great help!

Peace :thank you: