What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do bloom boosters make buds taste like shit?

tentgrower

i only used a bloom booster (koolbloom) on one grow. I had huge colas that produced my largest harvest ever. The buds all tasted like total shit. When a bowl was smoked it crackled, popped, and burned to a hard charcoal like ash that scorched the lungs. I truly hated smoking it. I also failed to perform any flush.

Are bloom boosters just a bad idea in general when it comes to flavor? I don't care if I get more weight if all I'm smoking is buds full of phosphorous and potassium that taste like shit and scorch my lungs.

I'm at week 5 of flower and am considering adding a bloom booster in moderation and completing a 10 day flush. I'm also considering not adding a bloom booster at all.

Attachments

• 20190504_211737.jpg
    20190504_211737.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190508_211616 (1).jpg
    20190508_211616 (1).jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170213 094059
    20170213 094059
    21 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190508_211625 (1).jpg
    20190508_211625 (1).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190508_211633 (1).jpg
    20190508_211633 (1).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 20

Treevly

""[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a bowl was smoked it crackled, popped, and burned to a hard charcoal like ash that scorched the lungs..""

It sounds like a weird Rice Krispies phenotype.
[/FONT]

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
i only used a bloom booster (koolbloom) on one grow. I had huge colas that produced my largest harvest ever. The buds all tasted like total shit. When a bowl was smoked it crackled, popped, and burned to a hard charcoal like ash that scorched the lungs. I truly hated smoking it. I also failed to perform any flush.

Are bloom boosters just a bad idea in general when it comes to flavor? I don't care if I get more weight if all I'm smoking is buds full of phosphorous and potassium that taste like shit and scorch my lungs.

I'm at week 5 of flower and am considering adding a bloom booster in moderation and completing a 10 day flush. I'm also considering not adding a bloom booster at all.

Does mother nature provide a bloom booster? There is your answer good buddy. All this fuss about yield over quality (in general), makes me shake my head. Ugh, more power ugh, ugh...

SuperBadGrower

Do you grow from seeds? I've had a seed grow where 30% of the plants turned out so bad I just threw the bud away... the plants were healthy, they just produced flowers of dogshit quality.
You can throw all the "Nutez" in the world on your plants and wonder about their effects but you are just grasping at straws if you are growing seedlings. A poorly grown plant with great genetics will be better than a properly grown plant with poor genetics IMO

edit: that said, boosters don't make buds taste like shit... not in my experience

Last edited:

Carraxe

Veteran
I agree. Boosters don't make buds taste like shit. I've grown organic soil, pure chem hydro, and different mixed techniques like coco, etc and I never had any issue like yours.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I use Koolbloom in a coco dtw setup and my bud tastes great! I flush for at least 10 days at the end and try to keep the ec in check during the entire grow so as not to have an abundance of nutes in the pots. I run whats been indoor outdoor in the summer in a fully organic garden. There is a slight difference in taste but its pretty negligible. :tiphat:

jonnynobody

I heard some bloom boosters contain Paclobutrazol but they don’t list it in the ingredients.

I have heard Kool Bloom contains this unlisted ingredient.

""[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a bowl was smoked it crackled, popped, and burned to a hard charcoal like ash that scorched the lungs..""

It sounds like a weird Rice Krispies phenotype.
[/FONT]

That was the only batch of Rice Krispies treats I didn't like.

Go organic and never look back. :)

Thanks, but this isn't an organic grow. This is a passive water to waste hydroponic setup.

Does mother nature provide a bloom booster? There is your answer good buddy. All this fuss about yield over quality (in general), makes me shake my head. Ugh, more power ugh, ugh...

I can dig that perspective. The only time my bud has ever tasted bad and burned poorly was when I used a high P & K synthetic bloom booster. It could also be attributed to drying the buds too quickly.

Do you grow from seeds? I've had a seed grow where 30% of the plants turned out so bad I just threw the bud away... the plants were healthy, they just produced flowers of dogshit quality.
You can throw all the "Nutez" in the world on your plants and wonder about their effects but you are just grasping at straws if you are growing seedlings. A poorly grown plant with great genetics will be better than a properly grown plant with poor genetics IMO

edit: that said, boosters don't make buds taste like shit... not in my experience

That particular strain was grown from feminized seeds. Genetics were a little unstable (different phenotypes), but the buds looked and smelled excellent. Something remained in the plant tissue to cause the poor burning and harshness. Chlorophyll, excess of P & K, or presence of a PGR (Paclobutrazol) may have contributed to the issue.

I agree. Boosters don't make buds taste like shit. I've grown organic soil, pure chem hydro, and different mixed techniques like coco, etc and I never had any issue like yours.

Could drying large buds too quickly cause such a thing? Perhaps locking in chlorophyll? Could failure to flush / leech nutrients prior to harvest cause such an issue? You're the second person in this thread who has affirmed that P & K boosters don't affect taste. Have you had any experience with Koolbloom in particular? If I used another P & K booster I would do something like mother of all blooms which is just Mono-potassium phosphate, Mono-ammonium phosphate, and thiamine hydrochloride.

Proper flush is always critical to good smoke.

Agreed. I got busy at work and thought I had more time to flush than I actually did. The plants drastically reduced their water intake, resin glands were nearly 100% amber, and I was beginning to see slight signs of gland degradation in a few spots. I reluctantly had to chop without a flush due to poor planning on my part. Failure to flush and drying too quickly may have the culprits.

Yes but, it is not the only thing that = good smoke. Too much emphasis is placed on the flush as a "cure all" for piss poor growing habits! :tiphat:

Agreed. If poor nutrition is provided (over feeding and using too many additives) throughout the grow, no amount of cure time will fix that. I never exceed 800PPM in my water to waste hydro buckets. I commonly see people referencing feed strengths north of 1200PPM's which is just bananas to me.

Paclobutrazol negatively affects taste.

Agreed.

I use Koolbloom in a coco dtw setup and my bud tastes great! I flush for at least 10 days at the end and try to keep the ec in check during the entire grow so as not to have an abundance of nutes in the pots. I run whats been indoor outdoor in the summer in a fully organic garden. There is a slight difference in taste but its pretty negligible. :tiphat:

Good info. Thanks man.

Latest posts

Latest posts