What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanlives

Veteran
have a heart live catch traps. after you catch em spray em with water and release em. they learn real quick . paintball gun on low works well too

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you could get a tiger. a bigger cat to scare away the cat. lol jk dont get a tiger.... panthers are sneakier

Mr Jay

Veteran
Have you tried talking to the cat owner? Or just telling them if the cat comes on your property again you're going to turn it over to animal control? Cat shit is toxic, it can make you sick. Cats are the number one killer of native song birds. It's an inside animal and it's the owners job to keep it there or at least on their own property. Fyi in most states it's legal to shoot animals doing damage to your property, pet or no.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
I like the idea of sprinklers on a motion sensor :yes:

you could get a motion sensor and plug whatever you wanted into it with a lightsocket/plugin adapter too...like a loud stereo, recording of dog barking, or water pump that turns on some overhead aeroponic sprayers or something. You can really fine tune some of those motion lights for just a few seconds too. I picked up a cheapo one the other day for 12$.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
All cats hate citrus peal. Get some orange and lemon peel and scatter them around your planting beds and they'll leave them alone.

Our cat PLAYS with citrus peels, he also sleeps in the lemon tree. Our dog also enjoys ugli fruit, so I would take the whole citrus thing with a grain of salt. I know for a fact that cinnamon (real cinnamon) works, but it's also TOXIC to cats. Actually had one years ago develop wet gangrene after a heavy exposure (he survived to live a decade longer as frankenkitty).

I would recommend one of the $20 air powered units, they have a little motion sensor and let out a directed blast of air with a thankfully not full game strength airhorn. Lemmie tell you, one or two blasts and the cat NEVER wants to be near that garden bed again. Because it's portable I move it around from bed to bed, I think a whole seasons worth of refills cost me less than $15. They also have one that sprays water, but it was about 3x the cost and didn't have nearly as positive reviews.

I'm hoping this works as well with kiwi vines as it does with catmint, we'll put it to the test this summer.

F

feral

Have you tried talking to the cat owner? Or just telling them if the cat comes on your property again you're going to turn it over to animal control? Cat shit is toxic, it can make you sick.

That is so WRONG: If your going to post get your facts straight.
I've been in the animal care field as a animal shelter/animal control tech for 12 plus years now and cat feces are not toxic unless your pregnant. Otherwise the worst thing you could get from the feces if you were to be actually stupid enough to touch it with your bare hands is parasites if the cat has not been dewormed.
Think about it, cats are the #1 pet in the USA. If cat feces was toxic a lot of people would be sick.

westfalia

Hey all you people that love cats. I bet you think they're something special right? I bet you'd say you ~love~ them, right? I bet you'd say they are part of your family, right?

Now, would you allow a special family member of mine to come over to your yard and dug it up and shit and piss?

Guess what? Just because you think they're something special doesn't allow them to move up the food chain. If you care so much for your animal, buy a box and some sand and clean up after it YOURSELF. Then tell me how special they are.

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Cocoa husk mulch. Smells like chocolate, forms a mycelium mat over time. Awesome mulch. Cat's don't seem to like the texture.

westfalia

Anyone that says this has never had a toddler. It's not a question of "allow".

Oh.
I suppose your cat just opens the door and lets itself out? And do you let your kid go to your neighbors yard to shit?
By the way, I raised my son on my own. Maybe you can clean up after your cat, on your own.

Lifebreather

Veteran
That is so WRONG: If your going to post get your facts straight.
I've been in the animal care field as a animal shelter/animal control tech for 12 plus years now and cat feces are not toxic unless your pregnant. Otherwise the worst thing you could get from the feces if you were to be actually stupid enough to touch it with your bare hands is parasites if the cat has not been dewormed.
Think about it, cats are the #1 pet in the USA. If cat feces was toxic a lot of people would be sick.

Actually, he is very much correct.

It's called Toxoplasmosis.

It generally isn't fatal, it just makes you slow and stupid. That's why it has been linked to higher rates of traffic accidents.

F

feral

Actually, he is very much correct.

It's called Toxoplasmosis.

It generally isn't fatal, it just makes you slow and stupid. That's why it has been linked to higher rates of traffic accidents.

It's not toxic in the way one uses the word toxic. When I think of something that is toxic I think of an item that will kill me. It's actually easier for one to catch it from eating raw or not fully cooked meat esp. pork, etc. then to catch it from a cat.
Realize that link is to Wiki and it's well known that there is a lot of misinformation given in those articles. If you want to learn about the disease I'll loan you my Merck Vet Manual.
Or go here http://vetmed.ucdavis.edu/. Some of the best vet medicine info available on the net. Kate Hurly is the Bomb. I met her back in '07 at a seminar she gave on cat health.
Have a good one.

Any of you guys have experience with the "Cat Stop"? I was thinking of picking one of these up to get the damn cats out of my front yard garden. I would just go out and get one of those water sprayer scarecrows, but we have a walking mailman and their lazy-asses walk through the yards instead of going around so I don't wanna soak my mail.

The cat stop is a motion-sensing unit that puts out an ultrasonic sound to scare them away. Not cheap, but it seems like it would work and I need something that's going to work on the 4-6 cats that I always see out front. I don't think all of them are crapping at my house, but I just don't want them to even consider my yard as their territory. Dunno why they don't frequent the backyard because that's all planted too, they just like crapping in the front. And all of the ground is mulched over with bark and doesn't seem to phase them and that's where they seem to go mostly, but I just added a raised bed and think they'll start going there. They seem to leave the other bed alone which has veggies in it - I make sure to densely plant it ^so there's no exposed ground for them. Going to get the scarecrow thing for the backyard and put up some mesh along the inside perimeter of the fence, ^so that any cats that do jump over can't get out - then they'll learn when I come out with the hose or airsoft.

F

feral

I would set up a trap(s) catch them and take em down to the local animal shelter. In fact our shelter will loan the traps to citizens in our jurisdiction FREE of charge.

For folks that do let cats outside remember the consequences:
Average life span of a outside cat....3 years
Average life span for a indoor/outdoor cat 5-7 years
Average life span for a indoor cat up to 20 years or more.
Many cats are hit by traffic, become prey to other animals, are used to bait pits or hunting dogs. Not to mention what diseases they can pick up from killing 'wild game' etc. birds, rats, mice, etc.
As for toxoplasmosis it's not fatal unless you are of the following:
> pregnant in which case it can be passed to the fetus and cause birth defects.
> have a compromised immune system such has AIDS. And then it depends on how compromised your system is.
Has noted above you have a better chance getting it from eating raw or not fully cooked meats or just handling raw meats than catching it from a cat.

My boy, Jax

buddingattempt

Re: How do you keep cats out of your planting beds?

I don't know anybody who keeps their cat predominately. The cat owners I know have allowed their cats to come and go as they please, its cruel to lock an animal which has the natural instinct to hunt away and deny them of this urge. It hasn't done any of the cats I've known any harm as they have live to around 15 years.

On another note I have heard lion shit is meant to work, I guess its just sourcing it. Maybe if you live by a zoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts