What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie Flora and Fauna thread ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest 26753

You make a good point, but I discussed this with one of the local rangers. He also advised me to not make them dependent on me, and gave me a feeding plan that would supplement what scarce food was around during those bad drought years. My feeding schedule is only during winter and the breeding season, and as soon as the babies are fledged, I ease back when I see there is enough insect life to sustain them. I tend to get a lot of sick or "damaged" birds. Once my feeding stops, they then spread out into other neighborhoods and bush areas.
Urban Magpies are often poorly looking due to them eating trash scavenged from yards and areas around shops where food scraps are left around by lazy humans.
I also am a carer for WIRES, and take in other critters when needed by the local RSPCA.
Lately I have been adding a vitamin supplement to the minced beef/lamb, so try and ensure they are strong enough to cope with increased demand on local food stocks.
I must say that the sound of 50 Magpies warbling above my head is quite beautiful.
I think from memory a Magpies natural population area is a breeding couple per hectare, but in urban areas this is much increased.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
You make a good point, but I discussed this with one of the local rangers. He also advised me to not make them dependent on me, and gave me a feeding plan that would supplement what scarce food was around during those bad drought years. My feeding schedule is only during winter and the breeding season, and as soon as the babies are fledged, I ease back when I see there is enough insect life to sustain them. I tend to get a lot of sick or "damaged" birds. Once my feeding stops, they then spread out into other neighborhoods and bush areas.
Urban Magpies are often poorly looking due to them eating trash scavenged from yards and areas around shops where food scraps are left around by lazy humans.
I also am a carer for WIRES, and take in other critters when needed by the local RSPCA.
Lately I have been adding a vitamin supplement to the minced beef/lamb, so try and ensure they are strong enough to cope with increased demand on local food stocks.
I must say that the sound of 50 Magpies warbling above my head is quite beautiful.
I think from memory a Magpies natural population area is a breeding couple per hectare, but in urban areas this is much increased.

ah awesome mate, nice to know you've at least taken the time and put in the effort to really work out what's best for the animals, so many people out there feeding native animals like possums cake and beer every night of the year etc... lol not really in the best interest of the animal, but yeah balancing out our impact on them is very kind indeed and i'm sure they appreciate it whether they know you're trying to help or not hehe. "FREE FOOOOOD!"

yeah they're interesting animals, some form larger colonies too, i've seen a lot in pairs but often the kids will hang around into the future when they become adults, groups of 5 or more are often seen around my place. love em :D raised a few too when we've found injured chicks etc. they're always very charismatic individuals.

blows my mind too when i see these guys bouncing around the back yard, to think i am watching the ancestors of dinosaurs hunting insects and other tasty morsels. gotta love it :D

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Malcolm Douglas died a few days ago.... :( freak car accident. aged 69. RIP to the original croc man.

Malcolm-Douglas-6502177.jpg

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2010/09/23/237421_national-news.html

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi All, Another Aussie here.

What a great thread you guys have got going here but i feel our most important Fauna is missing.

Remember this Trifecta.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I'm sure you all do....lol
hey ol skool ,, thanks for joining in ,, we want to see your pics though ,, can you try again ...

heres another pic from abby ,,,
undara lava tubes ...
the tubes allowed the lava to stay hot as it flowed from its source up to 160 km , making it the longest lava flow in the world ...

picture.php

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Day off work, it's nice and sunny, winter is coming to an end and spring is beginning in high country. It's being a long winter.

THE SNOW IS FINALLY MELTING

picture.php

I lie in bed and look at this view every day, seasons change, new growth is beginning. The high country is waking.

ahortator

Veteran
Hello

It is very sad the death of Malcolm Douglas. The best leave us, a few years ago was Steve Irwin who leaves us.

Here you have a few Australian venomous animals that I know thanks to wildlife shows.

Blue ringed octopus
Blue+ringed+octopus.jpg

Sea wasp jellyfish
SeaWaspJellyfishIcon.jpg

boxjellyfishlarge.jpg

Death adder
Death-Adder.jpg

Inland taipan
inland-taipan-snake.jpg

Sea snake
img67692d9czik2zj.jpeg

Australian black widow
Latrodectus_hasselti_F2756.jpg

Rock fish
pez%20piedra.jpg

You have even poisonous mammals as the platypus (I think that only the males are pisonous).

And a lot more.

You are very lucky having so amazing wildlife in your country. But it is a bit scary.

Greetings from the other side of the world.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah mate, the males have spurs in their hind legs with venom in a gland in their thighs, which they use on each other during mating seasons so if you ever see a platypus be bloody careful if you decide to pick it up as the males will lack onto your arm with their legs and you will be paralyzed with pain for days, weeks, some people have the pain for their lives. what's also bad... it doesn't respond to morphine etc so you have to just cop the pain for as long as it lasts.

Although powerful enough to kill smaller animals,[2] the venom is not lethal to humans. However, it produces excruciating pain which may be intense enough to incapacitate the victim. Swelling rapidly develops around the entry wound and gradually spreads outwards. Information obtained from case studies shows that the pain develops into a long-lasting hyperalgesia that can persist for months but usually lasts from a few days to a few weeks.[3][8] A clinical report from 1992 showed that the severe pain was persistent and did not respond to morphine. There have been no reported human fatalities.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom#Effect_on_humans

platypus-venom3.jpg

20070704_platypus.jpg

G

Guest 26753

They are some terrific images!!

Here are a few more, including some from my back garden.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

My back garden

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hope that red belly wasn't in your back yard! hehe though they are awesome :D hehe ps. which strains are those in the last photo?

G

Guest 26753

The strains are Cindy 99, Clever Man, AK47, and an unknown sativa.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
About time to add some new pictures id say ...
Heres a little water dragon i came across yesterday in the jungle , lovely little fellow ....

picture.php

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
and a green tree frog ,,, i really like these guys ,, very sweet ,, they even look like they have a smile on their faces ...

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
busy time of year here for animals with the monsoon coming ...
last trip in the jungle i spotted a boyds forest dragon ...
on arrival this time i saw a legless lizard ,, strange critters ...
looks like i ll have to keep the camera closer ....

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
GYMEA LILY

GYMEA LILY

Native to Blue Mountains, New South Wales. But it thrives and grows at my place. I have 3 of them, this is the first time one has flowered. They are 7 years old.

WISH I COULD GET CANNABIS HEADS THIS BIG

picture.php

The flower head is more than a foot across and the main stalk 2 1/2 meters tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.