What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie Flora and Fauna thread ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rainbow lorikeets munching on some honey soaked bread

eastern water dragon bursting at the seams, just finished his t-bone, he's a spoiled bugga.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey high country ,, amazing flower man , a long time in the coming too by the sounds ...

mr smurf , man what a dragon there ,, excellent specimen ,your lucky to have him a friend ,, pretty friendly from what ive seen ... the one i posted is very small in compare to the one that lives nearby it ,,

ive spotted the big one quiet a few times ,, its over 2 metres long and a very big body , more iguana like than anything ive seen in australia prior , seems to be the land of the lizard and parrot .. hehehe

rexamus616

Veteran
hey Smurf,

Fuck i'd love to get some roots into the soil beneath that dragon! Looks like you could dig it with your hands!

And High Country, hope you get some seeds! 7 years is a long time to wait and get nothing! We got a couple of similar things flowering around here..... A couple of variegated "sansevieria" looking things, (except it grows like your lilly, only the leaves look like mother-in-law's tongue) massive flower stalks 8-9ft high. They've been there since I can remember, and I've never seen the flowers, untill now. Plants are awesome.

As for fauna around here, I got a blue-tongue that keeps scaring me (looks like a @#$%@# death adder at certain angles....) A 'rail' bird that scoots around the garden and "hoots" at me. a horrible serpent that kindly rids us of rodents, but also craps them out in my 'smoking shed' (wholey christ they stink!!!)

We got them full jet-black "land mullet" lizards around, but when you see one of them, the instant you move a muscle, they've vanished.

these aren't my pics: (just an example)
land mullet
http://www.lanerealty.com.au/images/picLandMullet.jpg
'rail' bird
http://www.elkeith.com/images/photography/bird_images/banded_rail_moho_pereru_1L.jpg

Also, I found a weird slug the other day.... turns out its a native:
'Red triangle slug
http://i1.treknature.com/photos/320/rt_slug.jpg

weird little fucker has a 'breathing hole' that kept opening and closing.... I thought it'd been attacked, and I could see all these little holes inside the slughole.... fuck it was cool. And yeah, they're natives...

Hi all, hope you dont mind me putting in some pics here of a place i found on my travels.
:tiphat:These are a few from the Valley of the Giants, Tree-top walk near Walpole WA. Suspended walkways 40 metres in the air amongst the tree-tops walking threw 400 year old gums and various flora and fauna. Have several pics but only put a few in here. Hope you enjoy.:gday:

rexamus616

Veteran
Hey does this qualify? theres heaps of them out in the bush around here... this ones about 150mm across when its rolled up.

sorry about the crappy picture. we call them 'giant slaters'. we also have little grey ones...
picture.php

ahortator

Veteran
Hello

This is the King Fern or Giant Fern, Angiopteris evecta.

It grows (or at least a very similar ancestor) in Australia since the Carboniferus Period, about 300.000.000 years ago.

I know that it grows in North Queensland and Northern Territory, and there is only one growing wild in NSW.

KingFern.jpg

opt1228918912y.jpg

http://www.ccwild.com/blog/?p=3554#more-3554

http://rainforest-australia.com/King_Fern.htm

You have there too the Potato Ferm Marattia oreades of the same family, Marattiaceae.

Take care of them.

Greetings :gday:

T

tea

fantastic photos...LOVE THIS THREAD to forgot the fucking weather today here:thank you:

ahortator

Veteran
Hello

Luvaduck you must live far North. There is a Saltie between the mangrove.

It is a wonderful place.

L

luvaduck

It's a great time in the garden here atm.

For us this means the weather is supposed to be warm and dry, the frangipannis and cape york lillies are out, the coffee is in foll bloom and the grasshoppers are indestructable

Cape York Lilley (edible tubers)

:tiphat:

Kangativa

Veteran
Yeah mate I couldnt agree more, I took this shot just before spring, now the Frangapani has leaves and the first flowers starting to show, but as always during winter the days are clear and warm.

Also some shots of checking out the neighbours on the new future home.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Good idea bumping this thread again:gday:

L

luvaduck

Flora the explora.....

Flora the explora.....

Oops. I did notice they were going early this year up here though. Used to time them with the uni exams. Can't be that time already?

Anyway, some flora....

not the polyunsaturated type...

Variagated pineapple - quite edible and very beautiful.

Dwarf sunflowers. My daughters favourite.
Only 30 cm high.

Hopefully some fauna, if they'll stay still enough!

he he he...

he he he...

Any ideas of what the Fuck this looks like, sitting on a fortune here thats for true. (After seeing what God in the Toast fetched).

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hey kanga ,,
beautiful whisteria man ,,
i really love them ,, purple is my favourite colour ...
love the dryness of that new home man ,, you want a neighbour?? hehe

hey luvaduck ,, i noted the jacarandas flowering very early this year also , mind we only had one flower on one of ours ,, darn things take soooo long to flower properly ...
great pic of the pineapple ...

hey bundy ,,
looks lke youve smeared some hash on there for breakie???
thatd have to be the breakfeast of champions ...

Kangativa

Veteran
Oops. I did notice they were going early this year up here though. Used to time them with the uni exams. Can't be that time already?

Anyway, some flora....

not the polyunsaturated type...

Variagated pineapple - quite edible and very beautiful.

Dwarf sunflowers. My daughters favourite.
Only 30 cm high.

Hopefully some fauna, if they'll stay still enough!

Hey mate luv that Pineapple. I cant do them here, but I will be able to later:dance013: nice pics mate:tiphat:

Any ideas of what the Fuck this looks like, sitting on a fortune here thats for true. (After seeing what God in the Toast fetched).

Hey Bundy it looks like that stuff the native bees make, black and sticky like glue and sets like rock......but maybe Wal is right hash on a scotchie, did you taste it ??

Hey kanga ,,
beautiful whisteria man ,,
i really love them ,, purple is my favourite colour ...
love the dryness of that new home man ,, you want a neighbour?? hehe

hey luvaduck ,, i noted the jacarandas flowering very early this year also , mind we only had one flower on one of ours ,, darn things take soooo long to flower properly ...
great pic of the pineapple ...

hey bundy ,,
looks lke youve smeared some hash on there for breakie???
thatd have to be the breakfeast of champions ...

Whats a nieghbour...lol
Yeah mate its dry alright.....PERFECT:jump:
Getting closer to you guys......but not the weather.
Like a bit of purple power do you ??? Have you been to the Jacaranda festival at Grafton.....now that is a sight to see, whover thought to line most of the streets with them had great insight into what they would look like in the future.

Looking for Breakfast.
picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts