What's new

Building an IC Clearinator

Snype

Veteran
I was told to start this thread from an IC member. We hope to build some sort of contraption to make "The Clear" more available for all that want to make it. I was told to save a few posts as well. I'm just following instructions. Let's try and figure out how to build something and figure out some tech as well. For reference, I'm going to add a few links of what some members told me to get. I really have no idea about any of this topic but I'm really interested in learning how to make "The Clear". We will see if this thread goes anywhere. I hope it does!

Kugelrohr Short Path Distillation Apparatus
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/video/labware/kugelrohr.html

PILOT 15 - Centrifugal Distillation System
http://www.myers-vacuum.com/pilot15.shtml

Anyone know what this microwave thing is and what the model number is?
Gee, why could he possibly want this?
View Image

And all the clear he shows is Raw Clear made by Xtracted.

Hillbilly Engineering- A Homebuilt Kugelrohr
https://gaussling.wordpress.com/2009/07/17/hillbilly-engineering-a-homebuilt-kugelrohr/

Anybody who has any information, please feel free to contribute. No secrets please! LOL! :tip hat:

Edit:
picture.php

Thanks!!!

Snype

Veteran
Terpenes / Added Flavors

You can buy individual terpenes at Lebermuth.com.

For certified grade terpenes and essential oils, check out extractconsultants.com. That is where we are obtaining the ones we are using for our research.

They can not only quote you chapter and verse where everything came from, but can perform GC/HPLC/MS analysis, and formulate custom odor/flavor profiles.

extractconsultants.com Rob at C-574-850-7216

Actually the Werc Shop helped the Clear guys streamline their process (including terpene adding by way of Cannaroma). Clear had the process first....

Snype

Veteran

Snype

Veteran
I will await instructions or information of where to start. Let's get this started masters! Stop with all the secrets.

Roji

I made my first "clear" with my dab rig in my cold lab. The drop down would be cold when I toked and it condensed in the glass tube. It's just passing purified bho vapor over a cold condenser coil. The issue is how much money you want to spend doing it and how fancy you want it to look.

So a simple vacuum distillation setup would work then? Put winterized errls in the boiling flask and place it in a hot oil bath, run cold liquid through the graham and chill the receiving/vacuum flask. Set the oil bath to decarb, pull a vac, and fraction off the terpenes/residual solvents. Swap the receiving flask for a clean one and bump the temp up enough to vaporize the active ingredients. However my theory is the 75 degree angle on the graham would cause it to clog fairly soon, but would prove the point that it's just basic distillation.

CE-DISTVAC.jpg

Sunfire

Veteran
Lol yall need some glass blowers to make those?

Seriously though there's got to be more to it then that, simple fractional distillation? I read some of the other "clear" threads, I didn't understand it completely but it almost does seem to be fairly simple. A kugelrohr is just a compact design? So it takes 6-7k for the equipment I've read on the other threads. Is that just cause your getting bigger glassware? If that's so go find a glass blower with a lathe and they would make them half that cost I bet. You Oregon folk can just drive down to Eugene holding a sign up and every other van driving buy will solicit you.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Lol yall need some glass blowers to make those?

Seriously though there's got to be more to it then that, simple fractional distillation? I read some of the other "clear" threads, I didn't understand it completely but it almost does seem to be fairly simple. A kugelrohr is just a compact design? So it takes 6-7k for the equipment I've read on the other threads. Is that just cause your getting bigger glassware? If that's so go find a glass blower with a lathe and they would make them half that cost I bet. You Oregon folk can just drive down to Eugene holding a sign up and every other van driving buy will solicit you.

Post up some links to equipment and lets put together a shopping list.

What are the necessary components for this project?

Who are the leading manufactures of each component?

Besides "The Clear" what uses will this new equipment have?

What will the production capacity of a starting level "IC Clearenator" be (grams per hour)?

I look forward to learning a maybe being able to help out a little.

:joint:

Chonkski

We turned out about 11.5 grams with around 900$ in glass and a full day of tweaking. It was a bitch for all the trouble.

Using a Vigreux column is definitely necesarry, although, it can also be the bitter piece of equipment as well. We weren't able to keep it at the right temps all the way up the column.

Grow Nerd has supposedly lunged into getting equipment, perhaps he would like to share some experience?

Last edited:

Sunfire

Veteran
There lots of lab glass suppliers online these days but it's really expensive for larger setups. After thinking about it, I really don't think a graham condensor is the right tool for the job, it will clog easily. I do know that making smaller ones (400ml) is a pain in the ass. Larger ones (1-5L) would be easier but would require a lathe ot forearms like popeye! I would seriously try to find a local glass blower to do it, ring seals and triple seals arnt really that hard to do. I have neither the lathe or the muscle so don't ask me ;-p . You will save lots of money and have better quality glass because all the lab glass coming out of India and China is shitty Chinese glass that's super unstable.

To be able to fractionally distill on the molecular level could have endless capabilities but each of those paths require their own map and tools so over time you could potentially learn to do more with the setup.

I think this is a level of purification that is its own beast. The only company I know of doing this is alpine down in LA and they specialize in only this, they don't do their own extractions, just clean up other peoples. They also charge a lot for it, 8$ a gram last I checked but they take your black crap and make it a very light colored honey, not clear. Maybe if you start with good product to begin with, you get the clear.

A6 Grower

Veteran
Hmmm my basic distillation setup i use to recover my ethanol after winterization, didnt cost much at all. The mantel with stirrer was probably the most at $300. I just have a 1000ml flask with a vigreux column, a liebig condesor and another 1000ml flask. I bought it all on ebay/china for VERY cheap lol. I have some other random things i forget the names for(just learning what all this shit is called) its a adapter for 3 flasks on the out end so i can hold a vacuum and collect multiple fractions for when i start messing around with this clear stuff. I tried to make some but i dont think i was using enough for my setup and most of it just collected in the liebig condensor. Im going to buy a short path vigreux and liebig to help with that. I think short path is Key for maintaining constant temps. I have to wrap a shit ton of foam around my vigreux to get to somewhat consistent. Its a ~20" one so thats probably why. Im just happy to collect most of my ethanol lol. The setup has already payed for itself 3x with just that.

Snype

Veteran
Can anyone estimate how much Clear can be made in a 24 hour period with a Kugelrohr Short Path Distillation Apparatus?

flatslabs

We turned out about 11.5 grams with around 900$ in glass and a full day of tweaking. It was a bitch for all the trouble.

Using a Vigreux column is definitely necesarry, although, it can also be the bitter piece of equipment as well. We weren't able to keep it at the right temps all the way up the column.

Grow Nerd has supposedly lunged into getting equipment, perhaps he would like to share some experience?

Were you using the column empty or packing it with glass beads or steel wool? We always used tiny glass beads for refluxing. It has been a while since I have done any chemistry, but there is a similar column for fractioning that may help (Snyder maybe?)

Are you using an oil bath on your flask or a heating mantle?
Are you taking temps of your oil bath or with a thermometer adapter at the top of the column?

Are you taking a reading on the level of vac you are pulling?

Chonkski

Were you using the column empty or packing it with glass beads or steel wool? We always used tiny glass beads for refluxing. It has been a while since I have done any chemistry, but there is a similar column for fractioning that may help (Snyder maybe?)

Are you using an oil bath on your flask or a heating mantle?
Are you taking temps of your oil bath or with a thermometer adapter at the top of the column?

Are you taking a reading on the level of vac you are pulling?

No glass beads or anything like that. That does sound intriguing. We used an oil bath, and we were taking temps from both. Using a candy thermometer in the oil, and the regular thermometer setup on top.

We were trying to keep it as close to .05-.06mmHG as possible using a digital robinair gauge and a a high powered vac, but as you can imagine. That wasn't the easiest

Latest posts

Latest posts