What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How effective are scrubbers at removing odour ?

Hubbleman

Veteran
If u got a air tight room with ONLY air coming out is thro a good scrubber, can u expect it to contain 100% odour?

Hydro8

I have never experienced or heard of 100% odor free with filters. Especially with the last couple of weeks of flower their is usually some smell coming tru.

What strains you are growing has a lot do do with how much smell gets tru filters. Some really smelly strains will make my yard reek tru the filter others I have to get right up to the vent to smell it.

Koondense

Veteran
99% probably. The scrubber will filter the air multiple times so most of the smell will stay in the filter.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Quality carbon filter matched to the exhaust fan CFM rating, yup.

If you study and follow the good threads on the subject here
on icmag, you will find the proper scent free air exchange method
that suits your grow environment.

Keep us posted on what set up you end up using.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I don't know if you meant it that way, but an "air tight room" isn't what you're going for. You still have to allow air into the room if you're going to be exhausting air from it. The trick is to have negative pressure so that 100% of the air leaving the grow space goes through the carbon filter.

And yes, when matched appropriately to fan and room size, they are 100% effective.

Hubbleman

Veteran
I don't know if you meant it that way, but an "air tight room" isn't what you're going for. You still have to allow air into the room if you're going to be exhausting air from it. The trick is to have negative pressure so that 100% of the air leaving the grow space goes through the carbon filter.

Yes that's what i meant:)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if you buy a real heavy duty scrubber, those heavy mofos, no a cheapo plastic one, if you buy the correct size, which is about a third bigger then you need for the exhaust you use, the exhaust should be twice as strong as needed so you can run it slowed down. then you make sure you have more exhaust then intake to keep the grow room in a slight vacuum, this stops any smell escaping. the only air leaving will the the filtered exhaust. ideally fit the filter right onto the ventilator, that gets rid of a potential leak spot for unfiltered air to get into your exhaust ducting. do all that and not even a particle of weed molecules will escape the room. change the filter at least every 4 runs, 3 is better if your exhaust is near people.

fuutang

Plug-in air fresheners have produced good results for me. They are designed to work with HEAT, so it makes them ideal for grow rooms. It mixes with the odour and transforms it into fragrance. I put the Plug-in on my 12/12 light relay, and this saves on refills. This might only work with light odour, but so far so good. From the results of my early tests, it seems to neutralise my odour problems.

51NOPa-%2Bz9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Azeotrope

Veteran
Just to be clear - Using a scrubber correctly might make it so human's generally can't smell it but, if you are at all concerned about any canine officers being able to detect your grow......... Well, good luck with that.

Earlmarne

Running without a srubber had my whole mtn side throwing a fit. Now I can rarely catch any smells even on my little plot

mexweed

Veteran
never 100%

the dispensary grows in city limits here are required to have a very high level of odor control, they spend six figures for their filtration systems, and it can still be noticed from about a football field away especially if the wind is blowing that direction, probably not as thick and lingering as it would be without, but definitely noticeable

if you're the one around the plants it might not seem as noticeable because of olfactory nerve habituation

ElGato

Veteran
never 100%

that's not quite true bro

I have an 8x24 750cfm Phresh Filter on my 600w HPS cabinet with a Stanley Blower Fan on setting #1(probably about 175-200 cfm) and I have absolutely Zero Odors, haven't even caught a whiff since I've had it

Filters I have used in the past, CanFilters, Active Aire and a few others, I always had some odor. This time I went with a much bigger filter and like said I have 100% odor elimination.

not to mention the Filter is now about 3 years old, it's seen pretty much continuous use and still going strong, needless to say I am very impressed with the Phresh Brand

and I grow the stank ass Chems, Diesels, OGs etc

mj

mexweed

Veteran
your perceived magnitude and threshold of detection is not the same as someone who doesn't smoke and isn't around flowering plants

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
What sort of 100% do you need? blowing in a coppers face 100%? Not possible. Remember most people here smoke, so have a compromised sense of smell. Most will try and deny that, but it's well documented fact.

As only one person has said, even the filter has it's own recognisable smell.

I have a filter over some plants, that I draw air through. The air goes through my fan and out through another filter. Both 50mm beds, and my fan can run anywhere from nothing to too high. There is no stopping the smell from my weed. If air can get through, air with smell can. Our filters are granular, not solid block.

99.99% effective, is still no good in some circumstances.

ElGato

Veteran
your perceived magnitude and threshold of detection is not the same as someone who doesn't smoke and isn't around flowering plants

now you're wrong twice

and i'm not relying on my sense of smell alone here

Last edited:

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Plug-in air fresheners have produced good results for me. They are designed to work with HEAT, so it makes them ideal for grow rooms. It mixes with the odour and transforms it into fragrance. I put the Plug-in on my 12/12 light relay, and this saves on refills. This might only work with light odour, but so far so good. From the results of my early tests, it seems to neutralise my odour problems.

View Image
you can keep what you grow :)

Latest posts

Latest posts