What's new

How effective are scrubbers at removing odour ?

p0opstlnksal0t

Run your exhaust/vent through an inline duct ozone generator. Keep a slight vacuum in the room so that the grow room air will not leech out before passing through the ozone generator. With the proper sized unit and length of ducting to create turbulence and mixing of the ozone it will be 100% effective. I've eliminated all carbon scrubbing from my rooms. I got sick of replacing thousands of dollars worth of scrubbers every 2 or three crops.

down2grow

I’m gonna bump this instead of creating a new thread, but have some of you guys been running into smell issues this past year? The only reason why I’m saying this past year is because I have two buddies that have been growing in the same house for years all the sudden have smell issues where they exhaust out. Same set up, same filter size, same fan and one of them has been running the same strains even. One of them got a brand new Presh filter, it smelled so he exchanged it for another thinking it was bad. Hung up the new one, same thing. He’s currently in week 6 and is paranoid AF cause everybody is home during quarantine doing yard work outside.

My other friend was using a can lite and decided to get the thicker regular can and it still smells outside! The only thing I can think of, is that the filter companies are using crappier carbon/material and their product isn’t what is used to be.

Are there better options than presh, can lite, can? What do you guys suggest is going on or what can they do to help with their situation? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

D2G

bigpeter

Larger filter equals larger surface area of carbon. I run a 600mm rhino filtering 18 cubic feet space, a bit overkill but never a problem. What size filter and what size space you got?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I’m gonna bump this instead of creating a new thread, but have some of you guys been running into smell issues this past year? The only reason why I’m saying this past year is because I have two buddies that have been growing in the same house for years all the sudden have smell issues where they exhaust out. Same set up, same filter size, same fan and one of them has been running the same strains even. One of them got a brand new Presh filter, it smelled so he exchanged it for another thinking it was bad. Hung up the new one, same thing. He’s currently in week 6 and is paranoid AF cause everybody is home during quarantine doing yard work outside.

My other friend was using a can lite and decided to get the thicker regular can and it still smells outside! The only thing I can think of, is that the filter companies are using crappier carbon/material and their product isn’t what is used to be.

Are there better options than presh, can lite, can? What do you guys suggest is going on or what can they do to help with their situation? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!

D2G

this sounds like a leak of some kind, all it takes is a small opening in the exhaustducts for unfiltered grow room funk to be pumped into the street.

it would surprise me if the filters have changed, but if so, just go for a bigger one.

Grapefruitroop

Relative Humidity
Ive red many times Thats a key factor when scrubbing...
Carbon filters works well when the air is at a certain moisture and too wet wil make the filter dont perform properly or expire much faster...
Thats why many peeps couple it with an ozone gen placed in the exaust duct...

I think that if you are in an area were smell is a SERIOUS problem , you cant rely on just the carbon filter...too risky....one day it will fail leaving you with your pants down!:biggrin:

down2grow

this sounds like a leak of some kind, all it takes is a small opening in the exhaustducts for unfiltered grow room funk to be pumped into the street.

it would surprise me if the filters have changed, but if so, just go for a bigger one.

This was one of the first things I asked them too, check for leaks in the ducting and they changed them out. Same issues!

down2grow

Larger filter equals larger surface area of carbon. I run a 600mm rhino filtering 18 cubic feet space, a bit overkill but never a problem. What size filter and what size space you got?

They’re using 14” max fans with 14” presh, can lite and now the thicker can filters.

down2grow

Relative Humidity
Carbon filters works well when the air is at a certain moisture and too wet wil make the filter dont perform properly or expire much faster...

I think that if you are in an area were smell is a SERIOUS problem , you cant rely on just the carbon filter...too risky....one day it will fail leaving you with your pants down!:biggrin:

I heard of high humidity causing filters to go bad or be less useful quicker as well! These guys are running their exhaust 24/7 and being in CO their rooms don’t get above 40-45%. I run my rooms VPD so I’m getting up to 65% humidity and started getting a slight smell issue in week 6 running GG4. I’m using a can lite that’s only about 6 months old! Thinking about putting an airbox filter at the end of my ducting before it exits the house for extra filtering.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
these kind of things make me think of the basics, something was missed. its unlikely that the carbon scrubbers changed. its strange that it was working before with the same ventilators and speed controlers. you can run into issues if you are hooking things up the wrong way. you want the ventilator to be stuck right on the filter, that way the tinny holes in the ducts don't matter. if you have a long duct between the vent and the filter and its sone dec ducting, it leaks a tinny bit so unfiltered air gets sucked in on the part of the duct thats connecting filter and exhaust ventilator. maybe thats the problem, the way he put it back together.

Tynehead Tom

Relative Humidity

I agree with this..... RH plays a role in how well a carbon filter is going to work.

I run Can150's with 450cfm inline exhaust on a temperature and RH controlled fan speed controller.
100% odor control and no ozone required.
When I start to smell odor outside by the exhaust it's time to change the carbon in the filter. Rather than buy another filter we buy premium carbon (usually ebay) and replace the product in the can filter.

down2grow

these kind of things make me think of the basics, something was missed. its unlikely that the carbon scrubbers changed. its strange that it was working before with the same ventilators and speed controlers. you can run into issues if you are hooking things up the wrong way. you want the ventilator to be stuck right on the filter, that way the tinny holes in the ducts don't matter. if you have a long duct between the vent and the filter and its sone dec ducting, it leaks a tinny bit so unfiltered air gets sucked in on the part of the duct thats connecting filter and exhaust ventilator. maybe thats the problem, the way he put it back together.

Gaius, you’re an OG on this board and I’m actually so glad that you’re helping me out! Been reading post of yours for years!!!

If I remember correctly my buddies are leaving the filters on the floor and the fans are connected straight onto it.. I however, have about a foot of ducting that’s in between the fan and filter.. Last two runs no smell, but this one does and I’m starting to get paranoid AF now too! Do you think putting on Airbox at the end of my ducting before it exits the house will help? It’s inline and can work if air is pushed into it.. I remember Krunchbubble loved the things, but there’s so little info on them and they’re pricey!! I’m about to make the plunge because I’m so desperate right now!

D2G

down2grow

Relative Humidity

Yo Grape!

Any links or suggestions on what type of ozone gen? I don’t know anything about those, but I’m gonna do some reading! I’m on week 6 of an 8 week strain and might chop early out of paranoia!!! Get the right equipment before I start up again if I have to.. I was even thinking about grabbing some LED’s and just go sealed so I don’t have to exhaust out of the house anymore, but that’s a HUGE investment cause I would have to get a quality dehumidifier as well!

D2G

down2grow

I agree with this..... RH plays a role in how well a carbon filter is going to work.

I run Can150's with 450cfm inline exhaust on a temperature and RH controlled fan speed controller.
100% odor control and no ozone required.
When I start to smell odor outside by the exhaust it's time to change the carbon in the filter. Rather than buy another filter we buy premium carbon (usually ebay) and replace the product in the can filter.

How often are you having to do this?

down2grow

Sorry for blowing this thread up, but I may have found two solutions and need some input. I just had a conversation with one of my friends and both of us exhaust into a lung room that is sealed pretty well and from there the air exits the window. I have an extra 10” filter laying around so I can place that filter into my lung room, add ducting to it, cover up that window with some plywood, seal it good, make a 10” hole into the plywood and run ducting from my extra filter to the hole. That way, when my exhaust turns on it will enter the lung room and can only escape through the extra 10” filter by positive pressure and is getting filtered again before it exits. Will that work? I think I remember one of the VPD cats exhausting his room this way, with positive pressure through a carbon filter in a sealed room. I forgot who it was tho ��

Second solution is to buy a big blue ozone gen and hook it up to my ducting since it’s inline. I won’t have to worry about breathing it in cause of the way my set up is exhausted. If I went this option, should I run it 24/7? I’ve read that some ppl would run it for a minute, then off for 15 or whichever combination works for them. I’m still reading about the ozone gen btw!

D2G

p0opstlnksal0t

Sorry for blowing this thread up, but I may have found two solutions and need some input. I just had a conversation with one of my friends and both of us exhaust into a lung room that is sealed pretty well and from there the air exits the window. I have an extra 10” filter laying around so I can place that filter into my lung room, add ducting to it, cover up that window with some plywood, seal it good, make a 10” hole into the plywood and run ducting from my extra filter to the hole. That way, when my exhaust turns on it will enter the lung room and can only escape through the extra 10” filter by positive pressure and is getting filtered again before it exits. Will that work? I think I remember one of the VPD cats exhausting his room this way, with positive pressure through a carbon filter in a sealed room. I forgot who it was tho ��

Second solution is to buy a big blue ozone gen and hook it up to my ducting since it’s inline. I won’t have to worry about breathing it in cause of the way my set up is exhausted. If I went this option, should I run it 24/7? I’ve read that some ppl would run it for a minute, then off for 15 or whichever combination works for them. I’m still reading about the ozone gen btw!

D2G

I had mine made by these guys just a simple 20k mg/hr duct unit without fan and a 50k 12" duct unit https://www.ozonegenerator20000.com/

Big blue ozone generators and similar UV bulb type units are child's play. I would be surprised if they even produced 4000mg/hr of ozone in their biggest model.

You want long lengths of turbulent ducting to churn the air with the ozone. I run my unit 1 second on 1 second off and they turn on only when my motorized dampers open the exhaust.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_3Qc9cJ8uz/?igshid=1b37zzm3q7sx4

Beaucephus

In winter i run scrubbed air from flower n veg rooms to a plywood box with another fan and scrubber before it goes into my house heat. N Air ducting. Why let the heat go up the chimney...