What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strains easier to clone

Hi I wanted to order some seeds from herbies I was wondering if there were any strains out there that are generally easier to clone than others? But I asked the herbies guy who post here and for some reason he had no idea and said I should ask the site

moses wellfleet

Veteran
C99 is very easy. plants derived from Skunk #1 should clone well. OGs don't root easily in my experience!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Many strains, sativa and indica, clone fairly well if the conditions are right, temperature being quite important, imo.
..also, the health of the mom-plants is another important factor

As an example, last summer when it was around 25 -26 Celsius degrees indoors, a clone from plant "x" developed root bumps in a week just by sitting in a glass of water. Few months later, when room temps had dropped to around 21 -22 C, it took twice as long to develop similar root bumps for a clone from the same keeper-mom.

Sure some root abit faster than others, but personally, i wouldn't worry about a strain/cutting being a poor in taking root, rather buy seeds you really wanna grow and make sure the right conditions are there when your cloning them.
:)

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Pretty much any plant from seed has that vigor and roots easy.... og an other pita strains to...most importantly is taking cuts from healthy plants... most of the stories you hear about hard to root strains is one of 2 things... 1. unhealthy donor plants, or 2. they are old strains that been cloned forever.... the 2ND I'm not certain I have og chems and others forever and never had issues ... but from seed you got extra vigor so I would buy whatever I want to grow not worrying about whether or not it'll clone easy...JUST KEEP HEALTHY PLANTS TO CLONE FROM..

C99 is very easy. plants derived from Skunk #1 should clone well. OGs don't root easily in my experience!

My keeper Bros.Grimm C99 is a bitch to get to lay down roots. All the others from the pack had cloned from 7-10 days at pretty much 100%. My keeper is lucky to hit 50%. I think it's an isolated thing though because the others from my pack all have cloned real easy.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Solid info above which I didn't mention, rather order your genetics based on other more important desirable traits. Cloning takes practice practice practice, start today!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
practice not so much ... PATIENCE is the virtue of cloning...
and hybrid vigor is the answer...
got a schmoe's ghost keeper that throws roots in 5 day... optimum conditions...
hell got small tails/roots w/ just 3 cuts floating on top of a tropical 5gallon fish tank ...
no care or fuss what so ever....

hybrid vigor.... booyyah !!!!

GoatCheese

Veteran
Yea, like Yort said ..it's not so difficult once you know the few things you have to get in place

I clone in Jiffy pucks + some Clonex rooting gel, mainly. I the summer time when it's warmer i can throw clones into a glass of water, but up here during fall/winter/spring my room temps are too cold for that, so into the Jiffies they go.

Here's few tips that work with Jiffy pucks
..i have never used rockwool, but i'm sure they are quite similar

- Like i mentioned earlier, make sure the mom-plant is healthy and not stressed too badly

- Warm enough temperatures will make them root faster, but you don't want to bake them either.

- Make sure the mom/dad-plant is well watered before you take your cuttings
..i also mist the plant around 20 -30 mins before taking cuttings, so that there is lots of moisture in the plant tissue

- Try to take the cutting from a softer, new growth. The older woody bits are harder to take root

- When you have soaked the Jiffy try to squeeze some water out of it, so that it's not absolutely dripping wet. It can be quite moist and soft, but not "as wet as you can have it". I use a drop or two of BioBizz's Root Juice i n the soaking water to give the clones some nutriments, but i don't know if this is needed, cause they root in a plain glass of water also.

- To make the soaked Jiffy pucks soft and airy, try to work em in your hands abit, but so that you wont mess it all up.

- Use a tooth pick to make a deep hole in the center

- When you take a cutting make an angular cut so that there is more surface for the cutting to suck in moisture. just like roses are usually cut before they're put in a vase.

-I don't take huge cuttings and i usually leave the cutting with 3 -4 leaves and cut the leaf-fingers in half , so that the clone don't have to work so hard to keep large leaves hydrated.

- You can use a knife to scrape the stem abit (few centimeters above the cut) before you dip the cutting in a rooting hormone. This is what i'll do, dunno if it helps to make the rooting fast, but i usually scrape them a little bit

- When you have placed your cutting in the Jiffy, squeeze the Jiffy from all sides so that it's hugging the clone fairly tightly.

- Mist the clone and the Jiffy abit
cuase you might have squuzed some out of htemout of them, and place them in a "plastic dome" ..whatever they are called in English

- When the Jiffy is left quite moist, nor super dripping wet, usually you don't have to water it the first 5-ish days. Then water them abit, so that they are as moist as when you first put the clones in them. Fairly moist, but not super-dripping wet. ..then allow them to dry for some days without watering them.
..if you keep them too wet all the time, the clone can rot away, so you want a little drying cycle as well, but don't let them go completely dry, at least not during the first week.

- When you keep the cutting(s) in the plastic dome, don't mist the cutting itself after the first time, mist the roof of the dome. This way the clone won't develop leaf rot etc. so easily and will look better for longer. A good tip i read here a while ago.

- Make sure the clones and Jiffy pucks will get fresh air daily so that they wont mold or rot. The first few days you can't leave them without the dome cover for too long, or they will wilt, but after a week they can handle open air quite abit better. The first few days i give them fresh air for 10 mins few times aday.

I think that's all.. Chime in if you think i left something important out, it's getting kinda late here.

Then in few weeks, could take even 3-4 weeks if the conditions aren't 100% right or if it's a difficult plant to clone, you should start seeing roots pushing thru

N

NewAgeGenetics

what is the optimal air temperature?

what kinda water what you use?

GoatCheese

Veteran
what is the optimal air temperature?

what kinda water what you use?

The water is just tap water, we have pretty good water here, that i have let sit over a night. i don't pH balance it. It's probably little over 7pH.

Well, i don't know about optimal temps, i'm sure there are more specific info to be found on that if you search a little, but i'd say around 26-30 C degrees.
like i mentioned earlier, i have seen cuts take roots in a week at around 26 C degs in a glass of water

Thank you everyone for the replies! I think I will try c99 and I also will try incredible bulk for obvious reasons lol

As far as cloning I suck at it. I have had a few clones lives like four total out of the bathes of dozen that I attempt every few weeks. Sometimes I cry

I have two bag seed plants that I practice on one is a plant from seed where one of my clones survived once, and the other is a clone that survived from a bag seed plant that happened to produce some of the greatest bud I've ever smoked. The bag I got it from was some dank tho. I have the second clone sitting in a bucket

I'm about to flower both of these tho and try with from plants from seed. I have tried several different methods

I have had luck with jiffy pucks. It was funny I thought they were dead and through them to the side they yellowed up really bad. Two weeks later in the same tray with some with no fresh water then thangs rooted all four

The clone I have in the bucket came from an attempt I did using a homemade bubbler. I tried with like thirty cuts and on my last attempt that one cut survived! I was so hype

But recently i have tried and tried with both these plants like fifty cuts total from each no luck I have some cuts chilling now in the bubbler I made except this time instead of hanging the cuts over top of bubbles, I got some plastic cups and puts cuts in them and filled them with perlite and sat them directly in he water the first go around all 9 cuts died second time around I have about 4 in there that are looking OKAY but not the greatest, but it's been about ten days. There's a fifth one that I expect to be dead by today or tomorrow. I am going to refresh water today and add a little nutes.

I have three or four cuts I can take from the dank bag seed and I really want to but I want all four to live

Also I usually am confused as to what counts as a cut most people only say four to five inches but my problem is that it seems like they are too skinny.

Have you tried using Willow water or Asprin or some other rooting hormone?

Some clones will root easily when placed directly in Willow water. Some people say to let clones sit in Willow water for 24 hours then plant in the growing medium. I have had success with the latter.

Have you tried using Willow water or Asprin or some other rooting hormone?

Some clones will root easily when placed directly in Willow water. Some people say to let clones sit in Willow water for 24 hours then plant in the growing medium. I have had success with the latter.

No but I have tried with gel and honestly I think the gel is what kills them

The done too

These ones I have alive now no gel no dome just perlite sitting in pool of bubbler water. No rapid start either ran out of all of that and then as I recall the other cuts that survived may not have had anything used on them either except that batch that rooted in the dome that one time

But I am going to try the willow water thing now this weekend

GoatCheese

Veteran
Ok where am I suppose to get willow water from again??

Try to find a willow growing out side; chop off a branch and let it sit in a a glass of water with the canna-cuts you wanna root.

Never tried it myself, but they say it works.

Many flower shops should sell some type of rooting hormone, if you can't find any Willows growing near by. I'm using Clonex gel myself.

You wanna use the new growth branches of a Weeping Willow tree. Get some and cut them up and let them sit in room temperature water for 24 hours. Then take out the branches and place the clones in the water for at least 24 hours. Some people leave clones in for 24 hours then plant. Others leave clones in until they see roots.

I tried clonex. I'm pretty sure clonex gel killed my clones, maybe humidity?

I have better luck just sticking the cutting in the perlite with nothing else

obiewanshinobi

I've found sativa leaning plants clone with more ease than indica leaning plants.

Skunk #1 (2002 dutch passion) and power kush (dinafem) were the easiest clones and grows.

Blueberry (2002 dutch passion twisted leaf purple pheno) was hands down the hardest to clone I've had. At least 1/2 the clones would die and the ones that lived could take 3 plus weeks to root.

The Hog from thseeds circa 2003 was another hard to clone indica I had as well but not as bad as the BB.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I tried clonex. I'm pretty sure clonex gel killed my clones, maybe humidity?

I have better luck just sticking the cutting in the perlite with nothing else

Well, i have used Clonex gel for 10 years and i get large majority of hte cuttings to root.
Usually when i have lost a cut it's when the temps are too low or if the cut was not in good enough health when it was cut of the mom-plant.
But i'm sure there are loads of other rooting agents on the market

I found a small pussy willow at Home Depot snapped a stem off of it I'm makin the tea now. I will try it on one cut if this works I will buy the whole tree it was only like $20 lol