What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Busy Growin' or Get Busy Buyin' II

5th

Veteran
I don't know about the hydro questions but here is a great thread on plucking leaves.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

One of the first posts I read on IC...the masses are still divided though...

I mean I pluck daily in veg...indica, sativa..IME neither give a fuck....but I was going to stop at the start of flowering n' wait until stretch is over to remove anything... but as you can see...its getting green in there. I don't wanna shade budsites, and I don't wanna strip the plant if it needs all the leaves...lol...fukn' catch 22.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
My thoughts are pluck during veg, then rest a few days and throw into flower. Then pluck a few days after stretch is done. If during the start of flower it starts getting to thick with leaves in one spot pluck to thin but not enough to let light get threw the canopy. I slowly remove leaves in front of buds over a longer time frame in stretch. A couple leaves here and there every day nothing to drastic. After stretch it takes me 4-5 days to remove the leaves. I start with the ones that are still blocking the buds first then move farther and farther back away from the light.

You will have to find what works best for you. Like I said I am still fairly new at growing.

One additional thing you can do that I do is to pull the leaves behind the branches to expose the buds. This works for the leaves that go side to side and not toward the light. The ones that go towards the light are the ones I usually trim in stretch.

5th

Veteran
One additional thing you can do that I do is to pull the leaves behind the branches to expose the buds. This works for the leaves that go side to side and not toward the light. The ones that go towards the light are the ones I usually trim in stretch.

Good stuff. I'll just stick with the moderation thing then. Been doing the towards the light ones. The light penetration is pretty good on a whole...I'm just noticing the plant isn't transpiring properly...so I'm pullin n' em off everywhere.. Everytime I pull a fan the size of my palm off, there is always droplets on the leaves under it...alot of dropplets.

Maybe a bigger fan to blow leaves around more...

Gonna make a bigger res...gonna set it at 600ppm tomorrow...

D

DHF

NEVER point wall fans at the plants cuz it makes em sweat/transpire too much and that fucks with nutrient uptake guaranteed.....

As they sweat , the juice is sucked up into the plants and if there`s more pulled in than what can be used then the plant stops eatin and stores the juice till it needs it.....

If they keep sweatin too much , they keep pullin juice up into the plants and at some point ph will start droppin and ppm`s will soar from bein constantly stored and not used .....bet on it..........

Put the wall fans above and below the plants , let em oscillate and create a vortex of air movin round the room so they catch a gentle breeze and allows the excess humidity to be drawn out with major air exchange....and .....

Strippin leaves is a weird controversial subject that`ll getchas 10 different answers from 10 different folks cuz they`ve never dialed a strain to know what actually happens before stretch is over whether or not the plants get stunted...

I found out the hard way addin 2 weeks to my Chem D harveys from strippin em out in week 3 when stretch was still in full force...

Once the plants don`t make anymore leaves or build anymore roots , then I found it safe to get rid of everything with a stem attached over a several day period with no ill effects.....just somethin to think about Bro....so....IME....

It`s the little things Bro....make it happen....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

5th

Veteran
Yeah I figured as much as I am a plucker...leaving them alone in the stretch would be the most benificial thing I could do for 'em. ...fuck addin' 2 weeks...
The circ. fan I have in there is mostly for show I think...cuz the intake and exhaust are doing their job...and with the AC I really don't think I'm blowing any heat up to the top of the room for extraction. I'll put the big one in (circ. fan) when the lights come on...try to get my vortex groove on. Thanks again. :tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I put my AC up at the top of my room above my plants. The dehumidifier we on the floor directly below it. The heat from the dehumidifier is blown up and sucked in by the AC then blown out and around the top of the plants. This then creates a convection effect with the heat from the light replacing the cool air from the AC. I believe this is why my room does not need the floor fan. I don't feel the heat around the bulb like I do in a room with out this set up.

I also believe that blowing directly on you plants is not such a great thing. I do it some times to ground any flying insects till I can get them under control.

5th

Veteran
Thats good advice if I run into any flying insects. I've gotta much larger circ. fan in there on the floor blowing upwards at the moment. It's making the leaves flutter..which I like...as opposed to a gail force wind.
I gotta cut down on my projects I reckon...RH is all over the map in all the rooms as shits in different stages...heating pads n' peat...water...fans...veggin' plants...clones...seedlings...lol...fuck I'll get it sorted eventually.
I like what I read about Bobble recirculating between his dehuey n' huey...might have to look into that...guess I'll be knockin' holes in walls for more power...

Doing as res. change as we type... :tiphat:

ph 5.9 ppm 620

D

DHF

I like ta feel the air movin round the room above and below and not directly on the plants themselves ....but....they always flutter to a certain extent.....

What you spoke of`s aight as long as it`s not so much that droplets form on the bottoms of your leaves as you spoke of earlier.....not a good thingy IME.....and....

Make sure your fan blowin up at the bulbs is on low or you`ll be recirculating heat back into the room takin longer to control ambient temps inside the room....

Just tryin ta help Bro....not tryin ta tell yas what ta do.....

Good luck...DHF.......:ying:.....

5th

Veteran
Nah man, I never take it any other way, then what its meant. And your opinion, like everyone elses is always valid. I've gotta 16" fan blowing lightly on the bulbs...it inturn is rustling the leaves a lil' bit...and from what I've noticed...its helping considerably.
Alot o' shit I wasn't thinking bout. Nature always leaves room for shit like transpiration...I wasn't thinking. With me crammin' 100 plants in 12sqft...well I soulda been thinking.

Keep up with whatevers on your mind DHF. I like readin' it. :tiphat:

D

DHF

I put my AC up at the top of my room above my plants. The dehumidifier we on the floor directly below it. The heat from the dehumidifier is blown up and sucked in by the AC then blown out and around the top of the plants. This then creates a convection effect with the heat from the light replacing the cool air from the AC. I believe this is why my room does not need the floor fan. I don't feel the heat around the bulb like I do in a room with out this set up.

I also believe that blowing directly on you plants is not such a great thing. I do it some times to ground any flying insects till I can get them under control.
I don`t agree on havin heat "inside the room" that hasta be dealt with by the wallbanger a/c and make it work harder while tryin to keep room temps constant , but hey.....

If it`s doin such a good job compared to the other rooms with that convection thingy you speak of then you`re doin somethin right , but powerbill`s definitely gonna be higher with the a/c and dehuey fightin each other ....guaranteed........

Exchangin room air twice per minute keeps a/c`s and dehuey`s from working too hard to control environment most of the time IME and keeps the power draw down as well.....

Peace....DHF...:ying:.....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
For most of the grow the dehu does not run. I thought of venting it out side as well. I have to have the Ac in the room as the light makes my entire basement get to nearly 100 degrees. I had to go into the grow room to cool off. My basement is so well insulated its like being in the tropics. Hot and humid. Today's forecast 98 degrees and 70 % RH. So I have no choice if I want the plants to grow the way I chose.

D

DHF

For most of the grow the dehu does not run. I thought of venting it out side as well. I have to have the Ac in the room as the light makes my entire basement get to nearly 100 degrees. I had to go into the grow room to cool off. My basement is so well insulated its like being in the tropics. Hot and humid. Today's forecast 98 degrees and 70 % RH. So I have no choice if I want the plants to grow the way I chose.
LOL....98 and 70% rh in the basement ....Gotta do whatchas gotta do for environment Icky , believe me I know.....and.....

I knew the dehuey wasn`t on constant , just was curious how it`s exhaust was used to help dial things thru the a/c intake....

For the record as you`ve made obvious , wallbangers mounted as yours rock for dope growin but they put out buncha heat as you say in their exhaust....and....

I built my dehuey`s a hole in the grow areas and sealed around em just like you did with the a/c so it`s exhaust would be outside the bloom rooms.....

That way the lung room`s a/c and dehuey was always conditioning the environment bein pumped in and out of the grow areas ftw....

Good luck Ichabod Crane....

Peace...DHF....:ying:....

5th

Veteran
Speaking of both dialage n' enviroment...

If I'm gonna be running flip rooms...is there an RH% i should be shooting for in the lung/main room? 8 week strain...4 weeks apart...
Like DHF mentioned...work smarter not harder...and that goes for equipment also. If the lung room is say RH 50% ...then in my way of thinking...the dehuey...or huey...shouldn't have to work to hard in there respected rooms...I'm baked n' probly not making this sound right...

D

DHF

Speaking of both dialage n' enviroment...

If I'm gonna be running flip rooms...is there an RH% i should be shooting for in the lung/main room? 8 week strain...4 weeks apart...
Like DHF mentioned...work smarter not harder...and that goes for equipment also. If the lung room is say RH 50% ...then in my way of thinking...the dehuey...or huey...shouldn't have to work to hard in there respected rooms...I'm baked n' probly not making this sound right...
Dead on 5th.....but....with my flip rooms , the one`s in late flower would have the dehuey run till end of cycle set at 45-50% , while the room still in stretch and sweatin like a mofo had the dehuey on standby so 70% + was always in where it was needed and then exhaust and dehuey in lungroom kept RH at or around 50% with no problems using constant air exchange.....so....

In response to your question , with major air exchange ALL equipment works less and that means longer life and less expenditures ....and...

As stated above , yes....keepin lungroom @50% makes things easier to control since it only hasta go up lil bit in the stretch room , and only hasta drop even less with air exchange twice per minute to prevent any airborn nasties in the older room during late flower till end of cycle.......

Good luck...DHF....:ying:.....

5th

Veteran
Thanks much Fred's...great info. I'm gonna dig out the huey as I'm at 50% in the lung/main room 65% in the temporary veg room...and 50% in the flowering tubes...

...HGO is right...our work is never done... :tiphat:

5th

Veteran
Looking at the calendar...I guess I should have did the update on the 22nd...ahh well here goes...

the left...

the right...

Nute top ups/res swaps are now every three days...good thing I have time on my side. Bout to swap out the res. now. Aiming for ph5.9 ppm 900

bobblehead

Veteran
looks good. Imo you should tighten up the distance between the lamps. Raise the bottom one for the most part, and lower the top lamp a bit. The lower part of your canopy is more dense, so focus you light there.

Latest posts

Latest posts