What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

Brigand13

damn, you are some old farts arent you?

1st ounce i bought was colombo gold and it was $35.00
first 1/4 pound i bought was red bud and it was $90.00
this was in 77-78, when i was young and knew everything................
.........now i'm old and dont know shit
Those prices and weed types are identical to what was in my town at the same time, east coast US.

Vildsak

30years passes like nothing... Started in 72-73 and then a k of fresh handpressed so called "Afghani surfbords" was in equal 300$. And light moroccan super polm hash was just under a 100$ per K

fylthevoyd

Yeah the mid and late 60's my fair share of the golds for $30/oz $90/kewpie...and the reds just a bit more..but not much....then i left the mid west and ended up in Hawaii and learned what real weed was all about lol in the early 70's:joint:

SF Bay Area, Cali. 1971
$10 for a four or five finger lid.
$2.50 for a matchbox
50 cent for a big fat pregnant joint

$5 a finger for Columbia Gold

Got pissed I had to pay $35 for a QP. Sawed off the brick (kilo)

Back then "homegrown" was crap. All leaves and gave you a headache. I guess most home growers didn't know about budding until like the mid 70`s. I remember my first bud looking stuff was like 1976, something called simply "Sensimilia." Now we all know that just means seedless, which is all the bud now.
I think Thai Stick was buds that were wrapped on sticks while growing(???)

F

feral

$25 for an oz .....in 1974.......

course i was makeing $2.25 an hr back ....:smoke:
30-35 for a oz. '75-'76 for columbian gold/red
and yes my first job at 15 years old was at good humor ice cream making 2.25 hr. sure hasn't gone up much in 30 years

H

h^2 O

this thread is cool.

First ounce was $120. Still goes for about that with brick.

B

Bazarocka

I scored my 1st ounce of Colombian Gold @ The Celler in Ft Worth, Texas in 1968
($20.00). I was a kid, underage, hanging outside the club.:abduct: George Carlin was a frequent their. Got a glimpse of him a couple of times. :woohoo: Surely he was toking the same stuff. But back then GC was a Nobody at the time.
Yea those were the days.....Led Zepp at the Stardust:nanana:

foo_bird

60's n early 70's 5$ a match box 10$ a lid the good stuff 20$ a lid
mid 70's price started raising to 100$ oz and 200$ oz for bud
now brick is still 100$ oz bud 400$> and I can't find any lol

M

Marywanna

:canabis:1969,12 bucks a lid for Panama Red. Man am I ever an old fart................

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
73'...got about a 1/2 bag of Thai sticks...the tight buds tied with hemp on the stick about 6" long...never saw those again..the bennifit..first time really stoned...and now look where that little $10.00 purchase took me. DD

elfstone

Oops. I didn't see this thread until I started a similar one...

1972 - Mexican weed: $8 oz. - 1 lb. $90
Acapulco Gold: $15 oz. - 1 lb., $112

Commercial mex seeds and all was 100 a pound in 72. One time after unwrapping a brick there was a pair of panties right in the middle of one of the bricks. Around 74 gold Columbian was 400 a lb. Panama red was five as was Acapulco gold was the same. Thia sticks were 15 each. As Archie and Edith sang during those times on the tube before cable and the restof the tech stuff "Those were the days."

PharmaCan

Veteran
1968 in San Francisco $10 for a lid. By '69 it was up to $15 but those were big lids of pretty decent smoke. Back then acid was $1 or $2 a hit for stuff that would put you in la-la land and acid was easier to find than pot.

PC

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
In '64 in Brixton, in the UK, ganja was £8 for a good oz ..... hash was about the same, Temple Balls was the first time I paid £12/oz .....

200mic of window pane acid was 3 for £1 if you knew the right person

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
When I started out, mid 90s UK, "Solid" (Slate/Soapbar/Flatpress, very rarely anything better quality) was £15 1/8 or £25 1/4 - "Bush" (generally African brick schwag, sometimes sickly sweet smelling weed that everyone called Jamaican, sometimes modern-era SE Asian sticks) was the same price, £15 1/8 - "Skunk" was £20 1/8 if you were lucky enough to be able to get it. The weed market changed rapidly through my first few years of smoking though, price of hash dropped, availability of good bud increased, the bush almost disappeared completely.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
I've got an article in a May '79 high times where they interviewed an older fellow from the New York jazz scene. He had been smoking since 1937 and told about the scene and culture. It was a pretty cool article. Pretty funny too in innocent ways. Another old codger complaining about the new generation, and crappy music etc. Except this old codger is talking about the kids in 1979.

This issue also had the "Last Testament of Sante Bario". Which was the last interview given by one of the dea's top agents, who knew a little too much and was killed in a jail cell with a poisoned peanut butter sandwich. He talks about upper level government involvement and complicity etc. Enough they killed him for it. One of those articles people today would not expect of HT.

This whole issue was pretty good. It was the one with the devil on the cover. Not much eye candy but they do have the centerfold done by Laurence Cherniak (the guy that made the "hashish" books, he preserved a lot of great photos of pot from the era). They have bundles of thai sticks, and several other photos. They did a good job representing the dichotomy of bud in the era. The have a closeup of a burmese bud that is covered in resin like a modern specimen, ripe red hairs, swollen calyxs, few seeds, stuff that would cost $300 or more an O today. And pics on the same page also show lids of dusty shake. Wildly immature sativa buds harvested for sale, etc. Things you wouldn't pay for today. $50 bucks an ounce stuff. All thought of as top of the line back then.

You can get them off ebay for under ten bucks usually.