What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Chi

BuckeyeGreen

Proper Temps. with LED’s
I’ve been reading about the experiences of grower’s using LED’s for many years now and the conclusions reached by most grower’s was that LED’s work best when the room temps. are in the low to mid 80’s F-26-29C.

After I’d read enough of this info. I raised the temps. in my room and found that the plants seemed to come alive and wake up. That’s why it puzzled me why a grower would say the room temp. was 70F, the LED light was far away and yet the plants were supposedly suffering from heat stress? Really? With the light far away and low temps.? They maybe suffering from something but I seriously doubt it was heat stress.

My room is always above 80F/27C during lights on and 72F/22C at night. I’m running a Honduras/Panama fem. right now with those temps., my LED- Grow Light Science Pro Grow 640, is about 12 inches from the top of the plant and there is no sign of heat stress what so ever and never has been the whole grow.

I also don’t understand how terpenes etc. would be lost at higher temps. I’m sure if you have a very powerful light a few inches/cm away from the top of a plant you can scorch it but if you keep it a reasonable distance away, there shouldn’t be a problem. If we use the logic of moderate temps. burning off terpenes then all outdoor would have no terpenes. Right? Or am I missing something?

My high summer temps. in the Midwest USA are frequently in the 85-90F/29.7-32 C and about 15 days a year above 90F/32C. Those temps. are recorded in the shade. The actual temps. out in the open are much higher with natural sunlight’s higher intensity. (Solar radiation can dramatically change the temperature of an object that it hits, heating it far above the actual air temperature. Jack Williams, former weather editor for "USA Today," stood outside in air that measured in the 20s Fahrenheit in the shade, but a thermometer in the sun behind him registered 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This is an extreme example of how solar radiation can cause areas in the sun to be warmer than those in the shade. Usually, the difference from the sun to shade will only be between 10 and 15 degrees Fahrenheit, says retired meteorologist Jim Lushine, in an interview with Florida's "Sun Sentinal.")

So marijuana plants out there in the open, in my area, in the summer, would be experiencing actual temps. of 100-105F/40-43C when the temp. in the shade reads 85-90/29/32C. On the days when it’s above 90F in the shade it would be 105-110/39-40C in the open. With such high temps. and a greater light intensity from the sun, I’d expect there to be no terpenes at all if much lower temps. and much less intense light indoors can burn them off.

The Zientist

Veteran
These are very happy plants! I have both in my tent as well; here is Thai chi in week 8.

The smell is sweet, violets, vanilla, sour/citrus, plum, and tonka beans/cherry stones funk.

View attachment 18820550
Cool one, beautiful too!
It has a similar bud structure to one of mine from previous round.
Although mine was more on the litchi/lavender/sour/onion side of aromas.

I ended up keeping the sour lime woodsy one with narrowest leaves has it had the best effect and also a pungent garlic lavender one too.

I've ran into a few that were quite productive and quick although I ended up enjoying more the effect of the longer flowering and lower to medium yielder.

Thai Chi has interesting and unique aromas, some are more refined others more straight savory chives and sour, a common denominator in all of mine.
Remarkably easy to grow too, despite the stretch and very fast flowering for what they look.

Tranquilidade

Cool one, beautiful too!
It has a similar bud structure to one of mine from previous round.
Although mine was more on the litchi/lavender/sour/onion side of aromas.

I ended up keeping the sour lime woodsy one with narrowest leaves has it had the best effect and also a pungent garlic lavender one too.

I've ran into a few that were quite productive and quick although I ended up enjoying more the effect of the longer flowering and lower to medium yielder.

Thai Chi has interesting and unique aromas, some are more refined others more straight savory chives and sour, a common denominator in all of mine.
Remarkably easy to grow too, despite the stretch and very fast flowering for what they look.
Can you describe the effects in more detail?

Azure

Two Thai Chi fems to the left and two GT Thai fems on right.
Hoping to get a bunch of clones for outdoor season!

TC.jpg

Hello to all, I know is hard sometimes to establish a “cartography” of the pyschological experience that one strain tends to elicit, due to the plethora of variables involved, but COMPARING this cultivar to let say…the early 2000 haze x widow, how Thai Chi does develop the more “objective” side of the experience? ( onset, plateau, cleanness, progressive exit with/without kind of stoned or warmed residue …good week to all.

The Zientist

Veteran
Can you describe the effects in more detail?
I'll go over my notes for you soon, but from memory I can tell you that I had a really kind and blissful one (TC6), the one with the lemony floral type of aromas and thinner leaves. Not too strong but I took her early, I will run her again to understand her full potential.

I had a few heavier ones that I didn't care too much about, they were introspective but they weren't really vibing with me. They took your focus away too much and generated strange mind traps and intrusive thoughts. (TC1, TC2)

One of them had a really solid introspective driftful high and could stack very well, you could lay down and travel in your mind. Potent stuff, although it developed intersex traits during the week prior to harvest and I eventually lost her when traveling abroad. (litchi, sour TC4).
TC3 as I told dubi has a good balanced effect between all of them, and is a different alley. Savory type of bud with an introspective meditative high/stone. It's surely different, but I'm not sure it's everyone's go to. I'll run her soon as I miss having her around.

All of them have an inward type of feeling to them, which I have enjoyed.

Hope that helps.
tZ

Last edited:

Tranquilidade

One of them had a really solid introspective driftful high and could stack very well, you could lay down and travel in your mind. Potent stuff, although it developed intersex traits during the week prior to harvest and I eventually lost her when traveling abroad. (litchi, sour TC4).
TC3 as I told dubi has a good balanced effect between all of them, and is a different alley. Savory type of bud with an introspective meditative high/stone. It's surely different, but I'm not sure it's everyone's go to. I'll run her soon as I miss having her around.

All of them have an inward type of feeling to them, which I have enjoyed.

Hope that helps.
tZ
Have you experienced shroom mixed with euphoric ecstasy type of effects? Slightly increased heart rate but without edginess. Especially at the start of smoke. Your TC3 or TC4 might be what I'm talking about :)

The Zientist

Veteran
Have you experienced shroom mixed with euphoric ecstasy type of effects? Slightly increased heart rate but without edginess. Especially at the start of smoke. Your TC3 or TC4 might be what I'm talking about :)
There are some resemblances in the way you experience reality between shrooms and my favorite TC phenos. I can't comment too much regarding ecstasy as my experience is very limited there.

What I can add is that I wouldn't consider any of them particularly euphoric, and that's where the experience departs from shrooms, and other cannabis types for that matter. I've found other Thai derived varieties, and NL5 x Hz carrying more euphoric and outgoing effects, they feel substantially different.
From what I've tried of Kali China, I think the meditative and introspective nature really speak loud in my phenos.

I would like to explore deeper the Chiang Mai parental line to draw more conclusions.

PS: Surely, some of them, TC4 as an example, can be daring in higher dosage. Can be more than just a slight increase, haha. 😂

Last edited:
Hello to all, I know is hard sometimes to establish a “cartography” of the pyschological experience that one strain tends to elicit, due to the plethora of variables involved, but COMPARING this cultivar to let say…the early 2000 haze x widow, how Thai Chi does develop the more “objective” side of the experience? ( onset, plateau, cleanness, progressive exit with/without kind of stoned or warmed residue …good week to all.
Maybe @dubi you probably know the cultivar I pointed out here before as a reference. My experience with sativas are limited to this spanish hybrid 🐋 I mentioned ,and to some of the Nevils work and to J.Herer as well, which by the way I considered all of them powerful, spiritual and quite profound experiences.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

i recall growing some of the very first dutch passion widow fem release early 2000 that was super incensey and trippy. It hit, smelled and smoked like an amazing Haze hybrid more than the classic widow found in Amsterdam, which is a very resinous Afghani dom of much more narcotic effects, and without incense terps. Don't know if that could the widow x haze you comment, but i don't have experience with any widow x haze cultivar/clone.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
These are very happy plants! I have both in my tent as well; here is Thai chi in week 8.

The smell is sweet, violets, vanilla, sour/citrus, plum, and tonka beans/cherry stones funk.

View attachment 18820550

hehehehehe i like a lot the way you describe her terps @Tranquilidade :D i can almost smell her from the screen by reading your words. Looks like she is finishing a bit too depleted in nutrients, you can prepare richer soil mixes and stronger feeding regime for next cycles.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thai Chi fem on the right after one week from the first pistils. Left one is Panama x Bangi Haze fem. It is fun to look them side by side, and admire the different structure between the plants!

View attachment 18820497

I probably caused a slight pH issue and cal/mag imbalance by adding too much eggshells in the topdress, resulting into some symptoms that i relate to magnesium deficiencies. This seems to affect more the Pangi haze than Thai Chi. I have sprayed some epsom salts on the leaves to counter this, and it has been under control for now. Hopefully the soil will fix itself when time goes by, just gotta be careful with the Ca!

Glad to learn about the Panama x Bangi Haze + Thai Chi SCROG you have flowering there :D
Both look healthy, happy, under control and responding to flowering at similar speed. Please, keep us updated, thanks!

Greencedar

This is the more Kali China leaning pheno (TC3) after 2 months in the jar. All the phenos have a similar loud fresh/flora/clean/blossom smell I can't get enough of. This terpene is new to me and my garden. Very unique.

This pheno has lots of incense notes and the room smells amazing after a vape or smoke. The smoke is very enjoyable and has an almost cool/sweet wintergreen flavour on the inhale. Very smooth and creamy.

The high comes on fairly quick and reminds me of one of the panama congo phenos I grew (it was the terp heaviest pheno, very fruity and loud). It makes me want to get up and do something, with euphoria/amazement. It also makes me forget thoughts quickly and my mind races a bit to the next idea (the panama congo does this a lot). After about an hour or so it settles into a wonderful bliss/meditative state without much heaviness. This pheno would be perfect for banging out some after work chores and then chilling with the sunset and a beer. The straight Kali China I grew is better for social time but the Thai Chi influence definitely adds some pep and fun! Very high quality for such a short flower (I took it at just under 60 days but will let it go a bit longer next time).

I had to harvest the more thai phenos earlier than I'd like (honduras haze was taking over fast) but I kept moms. I figured it was a good use of the extra tent space I had while waiting for my Green Honduras Haze plants to fill out/reflower. I'm going to give them a bit more time in the jar before making a report but it won't be as accurate as some of these beauty thai leaning plants that are hitting 90 days flower in this thread. I'm excited to do a full run of one of these phenos now that I know a bit more about them.

Attachments

• IMG_9159.jpg
    IMG_9159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited: