What's new

Recurring Leaf Issues-4th Grow in a Row

skinzilla

Hi all, I've had this leaf issue on every one of my 4 grows thus far, and I would love it if someone could tell me how to eliminate it for good. 95 percent of my plant looks great, but the odd leaf wants to curl upwards, and the odd one turns brown/rusty/dry, and some develop holes. See pics. Any ideas?

More info on my nutes, PH, PPM, etc, can be found here if needed.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=229885

Thanks folks.

skinzilla

If I had to guess, I'd go with a calcium deficiency or a PH problem, but I would rather some veteran input. I used CalMag when I mixed the nutes for my res though, so if it's not PH, then I'm lost.

skinzilla

I don't think it's bugs, it's winter, and they were given neem during veg, and I haven't seen any(yet-fingers crossed). I did foliar spray last week though, so you may be on to something there. I may lift my lights(to eliminate the magnification/hotspots) and spray with neem, depending on what others chime in with. Thanks.

Foliar spray under the lights might burn the holes as the droplets can act as a magnifier. I think...

When will this stupid rumour end? If a drop of water on a leaf actually did act like a magnifying glass, then what would happen to outdoor plants when the sun came out after a rainstorm?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The second pic looks like it could be a pottasium prob. but the others look like bug damage .

When will this stupid rumour end? If a drop of water on a leaf actually did act like a magnifying glass, then what would happen to outdoor plants when the sun came out after a rainstorm?

Well, I did qualify it. I guess I missed that episode of Mythbusters...

:(

Bugs it is!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Is it just a random leaf on a few plants or is it many leaves on every single plant?

I know when I have cuttings that die from pythium, the leaves will start to yellow in the middle of the leaf, then the yellowing will move more towards the main stem of the leaf then towards the tip and base of the leaf.

Maybe if you have some root zone crawler carrying pythium and it either rips a root and spreads the pythium on it or bits the root and gets some pythium on it. If its just a random leaf here and there, its probably not going to be one that feeds on the roots.

I'm just shooting in the dark here, but in my experience, thats the only type of similar leaf yellowing/problems that I can correlate.

skinzilla

I would say it's just a few random leaves on most of the plants. Here's some pics of the rest of the garden, but they're not that great. I still haven't figured out how to take good pics while the lights are on.

skinzilla

Praisehim, if i'm running between 6.1 and 6.2 for PH, what should I drop to? Right down to 5.8? What do you advise for a PH of coco? Another veteran grower told me 6.2 is the magic number, so I was following his advice.

skinzilla

Sam, there seems to be more browning than yellowing if that helps. Pic 2 is the main problem. Very few have the "holes" in them.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Well, if your ph is over 6 every watering, thats probably the problem.

Maybe try every other watering at 5.5 and the others at 6.2.

I prefer to let it swing high to benefit from the better mg and ca availability. I use a good bit of coco in my soil mix and it has a tough time buffering the ph so i have to lower the ph to the low 6's for proper nutrient uptake. So if your in straight coco, you'll probably need to go lower.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with Dan - looks like potassium in pic 2, and bug damage elsewhere.

T

TribalSeeds

Well, if your ph is over 6 every watering, thats probably the problem.

Maybe try every other watering at 5.5 and the others at 6.2.

I prefer to let it swing high to benefit from the better mg and ca availability. I use a good bit of coco in my soil mix and it has a tough time buffering the ph so i have to lower the ph to the low 6's for proper nutrient uptake. So if your in straight coco, you'll probably need to go lower.

Think he had some PH issues before at 5.5, so he tried to bump it up to 6+ following someones advice. Id recommend starting it at 5.8 and let it drift up though. If your starting at 6.2 its probably drifting to 6.5+ after an hour or so in the coco. Could be locking out something.
Are any of the damaged leaves really shaded, or is it only on leaves that get a lot of light? I wouldnt spray with nutes, neem, or anything else while the lights are on. Lifting them isnt ever good enough for me. I'd shut them off and spray or dip

skinzilla

You're right Tribal, I had issues at 5.6, upped it to 6.2 as recommended, and that's where I'm at today. I've bumped it down to 5.7 for a flood, and will let it rise back up to 6.2 from there.
It's mainly happening on the lower leaves that are slightly shaded. I plan on doing another rez change on Saturday, so I may give them a flush again while i'm at it. Overall, the plants look fine, and this shouldn't affect the finished product(if it doesn't get worse that is), I just want to be able to recognize and fix problems quickly, and I don't have the veteran eye for it yet.

T

TribalSeeds

Seems like your flushing a lot. I had a few problems getting started with clones and had leaves that looked like this. I decided it was too much light and not enough nutes. I got that all settled and havent had any issues since. I water at 5.8-6.0, less than 1000 PPM and have only given 1/2 strength nutes a few times. I usually try to get atleast 25% runoff, but my girls are sucking up all the water my buckets can hold, so Im not getting much runoff lately.
Try to eliminate flushing and go with a 1/2 strength feed every few waterings, or when you feel a flush is necessary. Remember, with coco there is a Cation Exchange Capacity(CEC). Id try not to actually flush your coco.

skinzilla

You never let your PH go above 6.0 Tribal? The reason I flush each res change is that i'm paranoid about salt buildup, and that it's easy/convenient at res change. How do you achieve "half strength" for feeding without draining and remixing nutes? Do you start around 1000 and let the ppm's drop as you add water through the week? I'm gonna try your feed schedule and see what happens. My ppm's are around 910 right now and I have lots of light too, so hopefully it works out for me. Like I said, the plants generally look good, but I don't want a small problem to get worse.
P.S. Do you step back your ppm's later in flower, and if so, to what level? Obviously for the flush, but prior to that.

Latest posts

Latest posts