Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > New Growers > Show me cab door solutions.

Thread Title Search
Show me cab door solutions. Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2017, 04:02 AM #1
Jellypowered

Jellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the rough
Show me cab door solutions.

I am building a cab, and there are no pre-fit doors that fit, or would be light tight. Here I am, asking what you'd do to make this have a door.

I was thinking i'd just cut a piece of plywood and use dowels to locate the door into place. Stealth isn't a concern, so it doesn't have to look like a cab door.

But, What have ya'll done for cab doors? I know most people probably just repurpose an actual cab, but lets see ya'lls creativity.
Jellypowered is offline Quote

Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 AM #2
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
I would do it in two layers. First, hang a piece of black plastic from the top of the door opening that you can roll up to access the inside. It doesn't have to attach to anything on the bottom, but that alone will block 80-90% of the light.

Then make a second layer with something solid. Could be a piece of plywood. Let me ask you this about your box- is it going to have an intake and exhaust fan? If so, you can take advantage of the suction created by the exhaust fan to help hold your door in place.

I like some stuff, it's like corrugated cardboard only it's plastic. It comes in white, but it can be painted black to block light, and it's no heavier than corrugated cardboard.
Cut a piece to size, and use some of the corrugated plastic to make a frame around the door. Make it so that when your corrugated plastic door meets the four-sided 'frame' you made, the suction will hold it tight in place. Then you could put a third layer over that, like a cut out piece of insulation to cut down on sounds.

Hope that makes sense, and hope it helps. Poke around in the forums under grow room designs, you'll get lots of ideas.
Jellyfish is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:40 AM #3
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Had a furniture guy (neighbor) build me an indoor cabinet - looked like a nice piece of furniture, lined with silver foam sheet insulation, 2 large CPU fans in the back w/ carbon filters using 4 dual 2 ft. T5's- and floor space enough for 6 auto plants in 2.5 gallon containers.

It had black foam strips around the cabinet door. No light leaks. Door was flush with outside and had three table leaf latches (Google for pics)...worked wonderfully for 6-7 years.

At one time I had pics but don't have em now. Looks like you have a great start! Good luck!
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders of unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds at down to earth prices; now 11 years running!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 AM #4
Jellypowered

Jellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the roughJellypowered is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
I like some stuff, it's like corrugated cardboard only it's plastic. It comes in white, but it can be painted black to block light, and it's no heavier than corrugated cardboard.
THIS! I forgot all about that stuff. Wonder if the local box store has it. It'd be perfect!

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 AM #5
Jellypowered

In the new house I may hire a good furniture builder to build a bunch of "Workshop cabinets" Lol. I know all about them leaf latches too. Good ideas, Thanks!

Old 11-18-2017, 04:07 PM #6
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellypowered View Post
THIS! I forgot all about that stuff. Wonder if the local box store has it. It'd be perfect!

Thanks!
That's where I bought mine. The brand name is Coroplast.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:36 AM #7
Speed of green

Speed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the roughSpeed of green is a jewel in the rough
you could counter sink some neodymium magnets in the wood with glue/caulking and make the door out of sheet metal.
Speed of green is offline Quote

Old 11-19-2017, 03:22 AM #8
aridbud
automeister

aridbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond reputearidbud has a reputation beyond repute
Probably...neodymium magnets as long as not excessively exposed to water/moisture. Read where they can corrode....but really, you'd have to have humidity high and consistently (or if on bottom of cabinet door, flooding might make it corrode.
John Harrigan
Instant gratification takes too long.
Carrie Fisher - RIP.
afterthought autos
We are passionate breeders of unique quality cannabis autoflower hybrid seeds at down to earth prices; now 11 years running!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/forumdisplay.php?f=65770
aridbud is offline Quote

Old 11-19-2017, 03:29 AM #9
Jellypowered

Thanks for the suggestions here's what I ended up with!

Gonna paint it black a few times and call it good!

Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 AM #10
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Paint it black, you devil!