What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Humane, Painless Pet Euthanasia

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Yeah, I know, kinda creepy subject and if you do-it-yourself at home it could be illegal, but sometimes the best solution to a vexing problem when a beloved pet must be put down due to severe pain and you can't get to a vet for various reasons.

Lots of farmers and farm animals, etc., so how do YOU do it, I know yer out there!:tiphat:

..... and please, something other than guns, thinking like maybe ether and alcohol, something along those lines?

P

pongster

your vet has the painless poison, go to him/her, or make him go to you... it's really not that hard bro

spend some bucks for your friend, it's the least you can do.

cheers.
:rasta:

ps: i have had pets all my life, cats, dogs and birds; and most of them have lived their entire life with me. it's a tough time but it's part of life. the vet way is the best way... imo... some chill pill and then to the big sleep...

chilliwilli

Waterboy
was thinking about a painless way to numb animals for slaughter when i found a german youtube where they used helium instead of the common co2.
when u use co2 its a torture, try to fill a glass half full with soda and take a big breath out of it and u get a glimpse what its like.
but when u use helium the animal didn't notice anything until it gets unconscious.

[YOUTUBEIF]s80j_AkI0sM[/YOUTUBEIF]

3:46 they try it with a pig

Green Squall

Many vets do house visits for euthanasia.
Don't do it yourself, I've heard far too many horror stories.
You don't want to be living with that guilt if something goes wrong.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I had my cat put down.

Vet used three injections and the cat screamed for minutes in agony
until the light went out of her eyes.

She looked at me the whole time, emptied her bowels right there on the table.

Afterwards I walked to the lobby, the vet followed me out and I,
sobbing, without a word spoken, punched him in the stomach so hard,
brought him to his knees.

I paid at the counter and left, then came back and took her lifeless body with me.

Everyone was stunned silent as I did this, as they all were witness to the event.

Later that night I had a funeral pyre and said goodbye my way.

An exception to the rule, no doubt.

rolandomota

Veteran
Carbon monoxide? I don't know I just watched it and comforted as best I could my dogs heart was giving out he was falling asleep forever finally after suffering about 18 hours and in the end I did this petting thing where I startled him by scratching his ribs I had done it all his life to him and suddenly he looked like he stopped breathing I checked on him by waking him up sort of then I knew it would probably kill him but I did it I scratched the old boys ribs and called his name he was scared for a moment like I thought he would be then he calmed down he knew it was me and he took a final breath I said o your still alive and then he perished 10 year old boxer

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I had dog screaming in pain and unable to walk. Gave half a codeine based pain pill and was dead in morning. Not sure if it was pill or heart attack that took him. I felt so horrible losing him I did not buy another dog for 7 years. Bought sugar gliders which actually caused anxiety chasing them around. First pair did not get along, so bought 4 more. With them going in every direction was nerve racking. Built them huge cage for them to play with each other.

Had 2 dogs die in last 4 months. One went lame, brought to vet, was told it would be $1500 for the day. Went back to pick her up and they hand me a dog taking its last breaths. Was dead by time I got to car. Dog had high fever when brought in.

Other dog was acting odd. Tried to get her to eat ham with aspirin in it, in case another fever problem. Went to store, an hour later she was dead, almost definetly a heart attack. My dumb ass brother tried to bribe them to like him with $10 worth of dog treats a day, so overweight. Both were 12.

Littleleaf

Veteran
Took my 16 year old lab Bear to the vet to be put down. He had a softball size cancer growth from the rabies vaccine. I know it was the vaccine because I gave it to him and the growth started at the injection site. Since then no more vaccines for my dogs and haven't lost one in 9 years to any diseases not even parvo. We saved the 2 dogs that got parvo with TLC and saline injections.

Back to Bear being put down. (tears in my eyes as I type and this was 10 years ago) They gave him a shot to calm him. He started heaving and didn't stop for 5 minutes. Then the so called kill shot and then another and another. Vet said he doesn't want to die and gave him some other drug and he died with a wimper. took over 30 minute to kill him. I swore never again will I pay $250.oo some sick basturd to put one of my animals down.

As I don't know of any other way besides using a gun. I will say IT IS the most humane way to put one down. My Ted was the best dog I ever had. He jumped the fence when I got home from work and I ran him over. Rite across his mid section and broke his back and caused his guts to come out of his ass. No saving him and he was in pain. I grabbed my boys 22 and went to put him down. He looked at me and I said I'm sorry Ted. Then he looked away closed his eyes and I shot him in the back of the head. That was that and he was gone. More F-ing tears as I loved that dog he was my friend and fishing buddy. He was only 4 years old.

If you do take your animal to the vet to be put down. DON"T WATCH! Just let them do their thing and take them home.

Attachments

• Ted.jpg
    Ted.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Teddy 13 weeks old.jpg
    Teddy 13 weeks old.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 21

Gry

Have the privilege of being able to work with retired medical personal doing rescue work with cats.
One of the more compassionate things I have seen, came from a former investigator for a state medical board.

Involves crushing a human Xanax pill, put it in a 1 ml syringe with no needle. Add warm water, shake to dissolve.
Place the tip of the syringe far enough in the back of the mouth so they can not shake their head and fling it out.
Works quickly, allowing them comfort in their passage.

Green Squall

Afterwards I walked to the lobby, the vet followed me out and I, sobbing, without a word spoken, punched him in the stomach so hard, brought him to his knees.

You're lucky he didn't sue your ass. I'm sure he pitied you and decided not to press charges. What happened sounds awful, but you had no right to physically assault the vet because you couldn't control your emotions.

Have the privilege of being able to work with retired medical personal doing rescue work with cats.
One of the more compassionate things I have seen, came from a former investigator for a state medical board.

Involves crushing a human Xanax pill, put it in a 1 ml syringe with no needle. Add warm water, shake to dissolve.
Place the tip of the syringe far enough in the back of the mouth so they can not shake their head and fling it out.
Works quickly, allowing them comfort in their passage.

FYI:

Xanax is practically insoluble in water at any temperature, so it was just a Solution.

Anyways, if it helps your pets to pass on then it’s good.

I’d recommend giving it a few minutes to start working though.

rod58

well i've been in agriculture all my life and have had many working dogs . they also have been my best mates , mostly , and for that reason firstly , plus also because i've lived in remoter areas and getting to a vet is not an option . these are my mates .. i'm not going to hand any of them over to someone else to dispose of , so as hard as it is i always do it .
and i use a bang stick !
sorry if that offends anyone but the places i've lived and worked it is a part of our lives , like it or not !

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Thanks everone

Thanks everone

Well the deed is done, I found a wonderful vet who only charged $42 (no cremation), vs $185 for alla the other vets with their fancy offices that clients will be paying for.

Prices for all his other services were beyond reasonable too.

I have a pack of dogs (too many!) so I'm a do-it-yourselfer whenever possible and always worry about the possibility of severe pain/injury on a big holiday weekend.

Can't use a gun as the neighbors would call the Po Po.

Useful/do-able suggestions: half a codeine based pain pill, xanax, helium.:tiphat:

Hookahhead

Glad to hear you found someone to handle it for you. Some Vets offices are ridiculous, but so is the cost of some of that equipment. It’s an easy 30 grand for a portable ultrasound machine. Every piece of “medical” equipment has a crazy price tag. A “dark room light” which is just a housing for a 40w incandescent with a red filter, $250.

I work part time for a vet clinic here in Central America. We first give the animals a mix of

Acepromazine Malate
Xylazine
Zolitile (tiletamine and zolazepam)

This is administered IV and effectively anesthetizes the animal. 5-10 minutes later a large dose of Phenobarbital is injected directly into the heart. Even following this procedure there are still strange reactions sometimes. I can only speak for the Drs that I’ve worked with, but every euthanasia is hard on them too.

Sorry for your loss

E

ESTERCHASER

hey hey hey

hey hey hey

Well the deed is done, I found a wonderful vet who only charged $42 (no cremation), vs $185 for alla the other vets with their fancy offices that clients will be paying for.

Prices for all his other services were beyond reasonable too.

I have a pack of dogs (too many!) so I'm a do-it-yourselfer whenever possible and always worry about the possibility of severe pain/injury on a big holiday weekend.

Can't use a gun as the neighbors would call the Po Po.

Useful/do-able suggestions: half a codeine based pain pill, xanax, helium.:tiphat:

this is why i adore you! if i could id own a large pack as well!

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Well yes, it is a large pack but they're all very small AND they're also Therapy Dogs.

..... and Lord knows, I can use alla the therapy I can get!:biggrin:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
You're lucky he didn't sue your ass. I'm sure he pitied you and decided not to press charges. What happened sounds awful, but you had no right to physically assault the vet because you couldn't control your emotions.

I can't speak to his frame of mind, his lack of competence was abundant and I
acted accordingly.

I guess the events could have played out differently,
perhaps I could have just invited him out for dinner and a pint.

picture.php

lol

Green Squall

I can't speak to his frame of mind, his lack of competence was abundant and I
acted accordingly.

I guess the events could have played out differently,
perhaps I could have just invited him out for dinner and a pint.
lol

What exactly went wrong? Before a pet is put to sleep, its usually administered a strong sedative. I'm sorry about what happened, but you did not act appropriately. A Bruce Lee quote doesn't exonerate your actions.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Dropped Cat: The vet was trying to bang the cat up with something like sodium pentobarbital directly to the heart - and missed?

What was the drug he was administering - and what area of the cat was he attempting to inject it? -

Latest posts

Latest posts