What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEAPER ENZYMES

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I noticed this is in the coco forum. Any suggestions on the best enzymes to prevent root rot in RDWC?? I do not mind paying for Cannazym or something else pricey, if it works and is best.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
The cheapest enzymes are the machines that make them. If you feed your plants organic teas you're basically giving them millions of lil enzyme factories:).

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
The cheapest enzymes are the machines that make them. If you feed your plants organic teas you're basically giving them millions of lil enzyme factories:).

I have used Heisenberg tea in past with flood and drain. Probably going to use that with RDWC. Just bought something called Mycogrow, which is supposed to be very good for making tea.

CrushnYuba

I really hate too being this thread back. Maybe i should be starting a new one.. But what is the verdict on the enzymes and bacteria?
I recently saw an add for grow more co zyme and it said most grow enzymes are for carpet cleaning!!!!
I want something that will eat the roots, amendments and whatever else. I don't think the pond zyme with Barley is really it.
Surely we mist have something better by now. Maybe septic enzyme? Have to much media to buy fancy grow crap.

GoneP

Does anyone know if Stress zyme is ok to use directly into tap water or would that kill off some of the beneficial bacterias? It's chlorinated, low ppm tap water.

frostqueen

I've been using Z7 for years now to great success. Cheap and very effective enzymatic cleanser IMO. I searched the thread and I guess nobody has mentioned it yet...?

CrushnYuba

The reviews i read about the pond zyme with barley were inconclusive at best. Is it really working for you?
Frostqueen: what is the z6 marketed as?

Cork144

The main difference in enzyme products sold in hydroponics stores is that some of them, like Cannazym, contain live microbes (which they use as selling point) while Hygrozyme and SensiZym are sterile (which THEY use as a selling point).

What’s interesting is that pond enzyme products make the same selling points about either being loaded with live microbes, or being sterile. Often times of two products offered by the same seller one will contain micro-life and one will be sterile - just as in done in the hydroponics market. The REAL difference between enzymes sold for use in ponds, and enzymes sold for hydroponics use is their concentrations.

For example, Bio Boost Enzyme #75 dosage rate is 30 ml per 1000 gallons

https://myownstore.aquaticbiologists.com/Product_detail.aspx?ProductID=3249

While from the same company is offered Bio Boost Enzyme 300, which is so concentrated that one liter will treat 325,869 gallons of water and users are cautioned to “Wear proper safety equipment including rubber gloves and eye protection when handling or applying ABI BIO BOOST enzyme.”

https://myownstore.aquaticbiologists.com/Product_detail.aspx?ProductID=3241

Then there’s Mother Nature's Pond Clarifier natural, barley-based enzyme which has a dosage rate of 1⁄4 cup (1 oz) per 1,000 gallons of water.

https://www.pristineponds.com/enzymeinstructions.htm

And then there is Fountain Cleaner, which promises to be, “safe for birds, pets and plants.” A 16-fl.-oz. bottle treats up to 6400 gallons, and costs less than 20 bucks.

https://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/43427-fountain-cleaner.html

Compare any of these with the $40 bottle of enzyme from the hydro store, diluted down so it will only treat 100 gallons.

But what about those magical ingredients, things like Cannazym’s extracts of, “rare desert plants?” I believe this would be nothing more than yucca, which is used as a non-ionic surfactant. A pound of the stuff (enough to treat 100s of gallons) sells for about 10 bucks.

I’m done with shelling out 20 times more than I have to. I’ve been on my same bottle of pond enzyme for a year. I dilute it 1:10 with water in my old Cannazym bottle and apply it just like I did Cannazym.

I don’t want to be accused of spamming so I’ll refrain from saying which brand of pool enzyme I’ve been using. I doesn’t matter anyway, aside from their dilution ratios they’re all pretty much identical.

if its an enzyme its live regardless, dead enzymes dont work so there would be zero point using dead enzymes in a grow

clearheaded

not super nessasary if u are using organic live soil. looking for mostly cellulase ie break down cellulose. but remember this will also break down peat faster and coco (coco obv alot tuffer). will help if reusing soil to help speed teh break down of old roots if thats an issue.

part of why that barley straw works is because bacteria grow on the straw and release enzymes to break it down ie cellulase which helps break down dead roots. but again if have good natural organic soil it should all take care of itself.

Cork144

Enzymes are a biocatalyst of bacteria and microbes. Enzymes themselves aren't alive.
fair enough but in the aquafeed industry we have strong definitions for whats a live and a dead enzyme, I cant heat enzymes over 60C for a period of seconds without destroying them in the fish food,