What's new

Suing The State

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Millions of us have been damaged over the years because of "the state" claiming ( and defaming ) pot dealers were to blame for everything as "everybody starts on pot" and then commit other crimes etc. The "state" has jailed us, imprisoned us where some have been subjected to things and have seen things that have left many irreparably damaged.

Now that "the state" in many cases have legalized this plant, is that an admission of being wrong and therefore now subject to lawsuits?

Has anyone tried suing the state, are presently trying, how is that going?

Is this a case for the supreme court?

shithawk420

Veteran
I was just gonna say what switcher said.gotta remember lots of prisons are privately owned now.good luck with that

St. Phatty

Millions of us have been damaged over the years because of "the state" claiming ( and defaming ) pot dealers were to blame for everything as "everybody starts on pot" and then commit other crimes etc. The "state" has jailed us, imprisoned us where some have been subjected to things and have seen things that have left many irreparably damaged.

Now that "the state" in many cases have legalized this plant, is that an admission of being wrong and therefore now subject to lawsuits?

Has anyone tried suing the state, are presently trying, how is that going?

Is this a case for the supreme court?

A few legalizers have been self-funded. e.g. Marc Boyer, another Cannabis activist in Vancouver.

Marc B. basically sued the state.

I would liken that to a serious contact sport, e.g. Muay Thai fought on stand-up paddleboards at Maverick's, during a large swell & with extra buckets of blood to attract the great whites.

The alternative is a more team effort funded by someone with deep pockets because it would be fought forever. Cannabis activists teaming up with George Soros, or Paul Allen.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
The will of the people has been and will continue to be their defence. They are following voters' will. Its the modern day version of the 1950's defence of "I was only following orders".

green404

Sounds more like a hobby for a unemployed lawyer. Free time might make a name for themselves ?

Hard to beat the game from inside a rigged/corrupt system. On a state and federal level you can't get tried by your peers you get one choice a judge and if you believe he will give a fair trail ,,lol

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The will of the people has been and will continue to be their defence. They are following voters' will. Its the modern day version of the 1950's defence of "I was only following orders".

This argument is senseless because cannabis prohibition never happen because of the will of the people. The people were raped of their Rights because of the Will of The Powers That Be.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
In a democracy, anything the govt does is the will of the people. They state their intentions and the people choose who to get screwed by. I'm not saying there was a referendum on it, just that the people who the people chose, did it. Therefore they will argue that they were acting on the will of the people. They also get to choose who would pick the winning arguments, ie which judge would rule over the court. You know where I stand, but facing reality doesn't alter it, it merely let's you pick your battles with more wisdom.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a democracy, anything the govt does is the will of the people. They state their intentions and the people choose who to get screwed by. I'm not saying there was a referendum on it, just that the people who the people chose, did it. Therefore they will argue that they were acting on the will of the people. They also get to choose who would pick the winning arguments, ie which judge would rule over the court. You know where I stand, but facing reality doesn't alter it, it merely let's you pick your battles with more wisdom.

1st...
The United States government IS NOT a Democracy.
The term doesn't exist within the fundamental framework (The Constitution of The United States of America) of our governing bodies.

2nd, I, and many others, didn't choose anybody that currently resides in those positions to make choices FOR me.
Politicians are supposed to REPRESENT their constituents... NOT make choices FOR them.

3rd,
Maybury v Madison said:
Any law repugnant to the Constitution is void.

Gry

Veteran
They have stacked the deck to such an extent, that one must first obtain authorization to sue.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once upon a time a pot dealer AFTER he got out of prison was told he needed to pay a lot of money in taxes because of huge cash deposits made over a period of years. Well, this particular person spent a lot of time in the law library at prison and concluded that if that were to happen then he would respond with " if you are going to charge taxes like a legal business on something that prison time was given out for, shouldn't there be legal tax deductions like other legal businesses"? Drivers, whores, blow ( entertainment ), travel, airfare ( was spending 50k a month and this was in the 70's on airfare alone, shouldn't that be a deduction? )

Long and short is YES and so it happened.

So the next question is something that was NOT the will of the people, certainly not an enlightened or population that was even told the truth about cannabis, then losing millions and lives shouldn't there be some retribution, er payback?

I'll throw the 1st ( just the 1st ) 10k into the pot for legal fees . :tiphat:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They have stacked the deck to such an extent, that one must first obtain authorization to sue.

Hey life can be stacked against us. How we deal with that is what separates the men from the boys, the women from the girls and it's what builds character, heh :dance013:

Gry

Veteran
I sued the federal government, and was successful in doing so.
I recall the experience as an exercise in endurance more so than
anything else.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Once upon a time a pot dealer AFTER he got out of prison was told he needed to pay a lot of money in taxes because of huge cash deposits made over a period of years. Well, this particular person spent a lot of time in the law library at prison and concluded that if that were to happen then he would respond with " if you are going to charge taxes like a legal business on something that prison time was given out for, shouldn't there be legal tax deductions like other legal businesses"? Drivers, whores, blow ( entertainment ), travel, airfare ( was spending 50k a month and this was in the 70's on airfare alone, shouldn't that be a deduction? )

Long and short is YES and so it happened.

So the next question is something that was NOT the will of the people, certainly not an enlightened or population that was even told the truth about cannabis, then losing millions and lives shouldn't there be some retribution, er payback?

I'll throw the 1st ( just the 1st ) 10k into the pot for legal fees . :tiphat:

Have you seen those bumper stickers Tudo...
"Abolish Organized Crime.
The IRS HATES the competition!"

They're no EFFIN joke!

X

xavier7995

You could probably look at bootleggers during prohibition for some sort of legal precedent. My basic understanding is that it wouldnt be successful as laws cant ve applied retroactively. If it was illegal at the time they can charge you. Otherwise a whole buncha people would sue when they do something like raise speed limits.

Latest posts

Latest posts