What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Time between 12/12 flip and first buds ( hairs )

I see on this board a lot of grows where the buds appear after only 1 week of 12/12, some are 10 days, but, in my grows, i can wait 3 weeks before starting to see the buds forming !!!

I don't grow from clones but from seeds, my plants are put into 12/12 after 4 weeks of veg, so they are not mature yet when the flip comes. They are vegged in a tent with CFL and rotative sprinklers, and put straight to 12/12 in another tent with HPS and DWC (bubbler).

Where does this so long delay come from ?

Not mature plants, or the brutal change of environment from veg to flower is a stress that they need to recover before flowering ?

On the current grow, i put them in the flower room but still in 18/6 and with MH to let them veg and adapt to the new room. I don't know if i'll wait untill they are mature or just a week or 2.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Wendull C.

Veteran
how long from the time the seeds sprout until you switch the lights to a flowering cycle ie 12/12.
I see you said a four week veg but does that include a pre veg time to give the babies a bit of time to get big before they go to the full on veg room, or is that total time from sprout?

With my clones I pre veg for a bit up to two weeks before I put them into what I consider veg. That is just to get more roots and foliage so they can take an intense veg.
If my seed starts aren't two to two and a half months old they seem to show sex slower imo.

The seeds sprout in a little tent where they stay 4 weeks under cfl 18/6. After one month, they are like a little salades, with many leaves and branches and a lot of roots.

And what i use to do is to put them straight in another tent, the flower tent, in a bubbler, under HPS and 12/12 cycle. So when they are put to flower, they are one month old only.

So it would be only a question of maturity ?

I'm going to grow clones soon to get mature plants faster, that's the only solution IMO.

Buddler

Veteran
If you let them mature usually when nodes start to stagger, then they are showing pre flowers and getting ready for bud cycle and will respond faster to 12 12 usually by week three my plants are covered in pistils.B

After 4 weeks (from seed) under CFL, how big are they?

Is your flowering room/area truly DARK for 12 hours?

After 4 weeks, they are 1 foot tall and have 5 to 6 nodes.

Yes i thing i give them total darkness, all the tents are closed, the room is closed, window also...

JointOperation

7-21 days. depending .. sativa or indica.. and seed or clone.. is the stretch period.. and u will see budsites startn to pop up..

OK, maturity is the key !

Thanks, i'm gonna grow clones now, because a 2 months plant from seed is too big for my closet.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maturity COMBINED with light intensity= umoles/m^/sec

When that is optimized, you will see pistils much sooner, but ~ 2 weeks

sdd420

Veteran
7-21 days. depending .. sativa or indica.. and seed or clone.. is the stretch period.. and u will see budsites startn to pop up..

What he said
it's not just sativa vs indica but rather it varies by each region and continent. That's from an Ed book anyway. My experience is anywhere from 11 days, to 24 for a haze cross which was 12/12 from seed peace

Last edited:

Dr.King

Veteran
It is very strain dependent, usually hazes and thais take the longest. My Ace Seeds Green Haze didn't start to show their first buds until months 2 into 12/12. Sativas take up to 26 weeks. I would recommend that you use Advanced Nutrients bud ignitor. It really does help them first pre-buds form faster and create more nodes/the nodes are closer together. Really makes Sativas bulk up early so they aren't as airy once they are ready for harvest. Bud Ignitor makes my Indicas go crazy with first bud formation.

BoomerGuy

I have heard good things on Bud ignitor as well. Anything with more sativa will take longer. I use Big up powder by HN and it really kicks mine in to flower faster. I have also found a good dose of lower temps helps as well. Scares them into thinking fall is a coming.

B

Baron Greenback

I had an ace seeds Zaha delicate that took 5 weeks to show. Worth the wait though, she was lovely.

B

Baron Greenback

Zaha delicate? Got to love the auto correct. I of course, meant zamaldelica.

Snype

Veteran
You will notice if all your variables are in line, buds will develop sooner, faster and bigger. Your plants are only as good as their weakest variable. It's amazing how plants develop when every thing in the grow is perfect.

Latest posts

Latest posts