What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyjoe

Veteran
So when you add to your soil what exactly are you adding?

I ain't the biggest fan of compost but if you find a high quality compost it can be effective against your fungal problems

The other thing is make sure you have enough base cations in that soil. Particularly Ca and Mg. A low pH soil is always gonna be susceptible to fungal disease

beta

Veteran
Are any of you Colorado folk familiar with 'Otis OG'? My buddy in Denver says it's incredible herb, but he couldn't tell me much about the lineage. I'd like to track down some seeds or a cut if it's everything he says it is.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
funny, i just got a half oz of otis og, also trapper creek og
both are incredibly flavorful...

iirc otis og was a limited clone only release from pollen nation - were not cheap, altho ryan at pollen nation has given out a buncha cuts.... i've got the traper creek which imo is superior, but would like to give the otis a try.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
stop the ants.... smear vasoline on the base of the stems... I highly suspect if you've got that much of a scale issue, what you really have is ants farming honeydew... the ants will fight off any predators you try... the scale has a hard "skin" that is permeable to air to breathe, so a smothering oil sufficiently covering them will suffocate them, but the ants will literally carry the scale onto your plants and keep the problem going...

For the ants get some borax & mix 50/50 with sugar.
Mix in enough water to make a paste & mix well.
Then you can find the ant hill or a major ant throughway and place drops along the trail. The ants will pick it up, thinking it's food & take it back to the nest.
Boric acid will kill the pile.
I've used it to eradicate some piss ants and a red ant pile.

Last edited:
What most people don't know is that the adult stage of ant-lion is the lace wing. Who many can argue that they don't do your garden some good?

But I need some education on long term management of these problems and how to survive them.

So when you add to your soil what exactly are you adding?

I ain't the biggest fan of compost but if you find a high quality compost it can be effective against your fungal problems

The other thing is make sure you have enough base cations in that soil. Particularly Ca and Mg. A low pH soil is always gonna be susceptible to fungal disease

I really don't add much. I was adding stems and stalks at the bottom of the dig, But have found out that might add to the fungus problem. Normally I would add one bale Pete moss And half a giant bag of pearl-light, some sweet lime and some cow compost. then I put about 2-3inches of local clay on top. I set my grow sections and dig them out to take one bag of OF and the plant.
Each year I would recycle this soil into the GH.
I intend to add some serious silica to my feeding. Normally I only added MaxSea at half strength with epsomsalts and Braer Rabbit Molasses. Then I switch to Maxi bloom during flower. I also add in worms when I can find them. I import many different spider including Black-widows and Brown Recluses...They keep the curious dumbfounded.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
chlorine kush? that doesn't even sound that good.... id say the otis has a lil bit of ammonia stank to it.... otis is just a kickass ogk, kinda reminds me of og18

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
What most people don't know is that the adult stage of ant-lion is the lace wing. Who many can argue that they don't do your garden some good?

But I need some education on long term management of these problems and how to survive them.

Lacewings are not pests at any stage... problem is, they need either nectar or pollen to survive on in their adult stage...
many do not provide that and therefore their lacewings dont manage to reproduce the next generation.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Build out very well, might be 50-100k, but that's doesn't have to do with the licensing.

I would much rather talk to a person in the industry than a lawyer.

Then there is a bunch of shit that can go down with in all of that time frame. Some people have gone and sued some one claiming that it was going to hurt their company, ect... Change of property ownership and new land lord don't want to play ball... How long is the state taking to approve your application and give you your license? Do they let you start growing while waiting, or are you going to have to spend more on rent for how ever long to keep the spot that you'll be opening up shop in before you can have that first plant?

Lacewings are not pests at any stage... problem is, they need either nectar or pollen to survive on in their adult stage...
many do not provide that and therefore their lacewings dont manage to reproduce the next generation.

And I think/know that I am guilty of this. I thought the lace wings were also predatory and thus helped. What should I be planting near the GHs to feed them?

Jbomber79

Veteran
^^^im looking at this just as you are Gando basically you have to practically go out on a limb build the whole thing, apply and hope that you get approved... Which is totally not a great biz decision no matter how you look at it it's become a huge gamble at least financially... Also if you think you can do this without legal council you're off your rocker!

Jbomber79

Veteran
Oh an if your not cutting cost and minimizing overhead and growing grade a nugs you'll have a hard time makin it, people I know in the industry that are small timers have gone to edibles and cbd sales.. All there bud comes from wholesale...

chlorine kush? that doesn't even sound that good.... id say the otis has a lil bit of ammonia stank to it.... otis is just a kickass ogk, kinda reminds me of og18

This seems to be the year for some very strange and even nasty odors coming from pot plants in Colorado.
I grew some seeds from this site called White Rhino. Only one seed popped and I got lucky that is was female. It fought me the entire life of it. Turned out to be auto flower in extended light GH set-up. Never took to extending so it was short and only got about 8-9oz off it. But when I went to trim and dry it...That thing smelled like rotting peppered beef jerky. It took about 5 days of trimming and drying and living with that smell...I threw-up a lot and couldn't eat till the smell dried out. But the people I have given a couple of buds of this to are driving me nuts wanting more...I don't get it???

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
i think local licensing fees are different county to county.... and some counties flat out will not issue any licenses.
the associated costs of licensing (like cameras, buildout, permits, etc) are absolutely neccessary. the license alone will not keep you in business ( or put you into business) unless you complete all the neccessary things correctly. personally i'd county all that into startup costs.

also, as part of that application fee you do need to show either a lease or a title for your location (must be in light industrial area for a grow, i think its "I-A" zoning)

imo an 8-12 lighter is too small for a commercial op in CO, the costs of startup will be high enough that your 12 lights won't beable to produce enough to pay u back quickly. that's just my opinion, im sure it CAN be done, but going thru all that just to legitimize a 12 lighter into a commercial op. i'd go no less than 20 lites AND greenhouse if i were going to go the whole state licensed road... :2cents:

For that amount of money and start up cost then it would probably make more sense to get some old property or land, put up a light dep greenhouse and go that route? That way you would own the land too. Pretty much laying it out there but I've wanted to make my mark on the cannabis industry for years now and I feel like I want to start taking those steps to doing my own thing. I also don't want to gamble and get hopelessly in debt or fuck with investors and the like. What is the next best step to graduate and have some space to play around with making and testing crosses, making seeds, growing good herb and not be falling in a debt hole. I was thinking a 12 lighter would be reasonable but want it all to be legal so as to not have to worry about anything. I would want to be legal as well so I could provide to dispensaries without getting shady and shit. Why isn't there some middle ground? Why does it have to be 100-200k to even start thinking about playing ball? If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd be more concerned with buying a house. Shit.

I always thought of greenhouses as a way to add a couple months to growing season (both Spring & Fall). With the extreme winters we sometimes get it seems like you would be better off going totally contained for the winter...But then again I don't know much about greenhouse planning and various construction...just use to a layer of plastic being the walls/ceiling.

I just saw that they extended the deadline to Monday (4pm) for anyone wishing to enter the Frost Bowl competition. Also found out they ARE NOT going to be having a 420 bowl this year...I was saving back a couple of strains for that. Maybe I should get one or 2 more in since it my be my last shot. Then I thought I had a date till she decided to completely off the wall last night and this morning. Maybe I should just give up and not have any more to do with it??? I just can't decide.

I remember Daniel talking about them possibly doing one in June or something like that. A 420 cup for them wouldn't make sense when just about everybody and their brother would be going to the Cannabis Cup in Denver. I'm looking forward to next weekend with the Frost Bowl and the Indo Expo.

funny, i just got a half oz of otis og, also trapper creek og
both are incredibly flavorful...

iirc otis og was a limited clone only release from pollen nation - were not cheap, altho ryan at pollen nation has given out a buncha cuts.... i've got the traper creek which imo is superior, but would like to give the otis a try.

That Trapper Creek you put up on IG looked pretty good :yes:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why isn't there some middle ground? Why does it have to be 100-200k to even start thinking about playing ball? If I had that kind of money to throw around I'd be more concerned with buying a house. Shit.

imo it's because "big $" lobbied that "middle ground" out of existence. 1284 put the little guys in jeopardy and the next few years put many/most of them under. it was completely different ball game out here pre-HB1284.
and since then it's only gone in that same direction of market share protectionism. the big guys want a bigger slice of the market, best way to get it is put under and/or gobble up as many competitors as you can. lobbying legislators onto your side is a quick easy way to make that happen.

imo the "MIG" or Marijuana Industry Group is largely responsible for this. The lawyer who does their fillings is the same one that the oil & gas industry uses in colorado..... their "office address" is that lawyers address, same as many other super-shady lobbying interests do. MIG keeps most member identities secret (meaning most businesses who support the actions of MIG don't want the customer base or general public knowing WHO is behind the actions of MIG). the only biz i know of that is open about being a part of MIG (andprobably was oen of the founding members) is river rock. i've been boycotting river rock since aroudn that time, since RD & bo left. then again i barely go to ANY shops anymore, and imo pinkhouse is way better than RR.

IDK I only found this group last year because of the glass blowing competition...I was looking for some beads to tie custom Atlantic Salmon show Flies. They did pretty good even though the event in Denver was going on at the same time. I thought they would continue that for us local yokals.

4-20-14 I was sitting around eating pizza at the do drop inn with Tommy Chong at Marisol so who knows what tomorrow might bring???

Last edited:
R

!RA!

Son of a!!

Son of a!!

Had to trash my latest crop of Ghost Train and Star Killer. The room got way to humid a couple of times and wound up with grey mold (botrytis I think). Happened practically overnight. Sprayed the whole room down with rubbing alcohol, then chopped and bagged it all up. 10 plants down the shitter. Washing all the clothes I wore with borax, too. Fuck!!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts