What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

**Inside DrBud's Lab every 48 hours W/Pics**

G

grapepunched

things are looking great....
do you ever cut back any root systems when transplanting???
or just add new soil underneath the roots? or both?
sorry if you've already answered this but you do use some very small
bottles and I wonder how often transplants occur....
thanks DrBud and k+

-gp

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
grapepunched said:
things are looking great....
do you ever cut back any root systems when transplanting???
or just add new soil underneath the roots? or both?
sorry if you've already answered this but you do use some very small
bottles and I wonder how often transplants occur....
thanks DrBud and k+

-gp

They are transplanted ....only the one time from the perlite(Cloner) to the soil mix in the bottles....then they sit under 24 hour light til they hit the "Start Point" for each different strain....then it's off to flowering

Back when I grew large plants I just cut the bottom 2-3 inches off the pot (1Gallon)and put it in a Large pot (15 gallon Tub)....I only did that for awhile then I got turned onto SOG in 1987 and it all been "Plantlets" since then

ok thanks for the info im gunna try to add a tea maybe i gotta build a new box and im kinda stumed on the ventaltion side of things im gunna put a ? in the design forum and i might just build it so i can brew

every one please vote on the photo noms this mounth there is a very interesting blueberry plant
voting starts the first day of ever mounth

Pig-Pen

DrBudGreengenes said:
Almost every MJ plant has a sweet spot...

"Sweet Spot" : The height at which a plant put into 12/12 will finish at the right height just under the bulbs

They each react differently to the first 2 weeks of Flowering....and if that "Sweet Spot" can be found and recorded (It's the same every time after that If the same grow conditions apply)
It can be used at will,.....once you have this data you can grow as many strains in the same SOG as you would like "Variety is the Spice of Life"

Everybody starts at a different height but they all finish at the same height

No I understand all that.

Since this is a no-veg system, do the size of the clones you take correspond to the determined sweet spot, e.g. you have to take 2" cuts from strain A, 7" cuts from strain B?

I'm assuming that all the plants in the cell have been maintained at the same elevation or do you boost the shorties closer to the light until they catch up?

If not, the couple of smaller clones that stretched insanely, would they have stretched as much if they were in less crowded, more lit environment?

I'm trying to determine, in this case, to what extent extreme plant densities and light deprivation affect the initial flower stretch and if there's any pattern as to which strains are more or less affected by it.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Pig-Pen said:
No I understand all that.

Since this is a no-veg system,

Only in a single strain Garden is it no veg there are 14 different strains in there right now....some of these R under 24 hour light for 3-5 days til they hit "The Spot"...some go in the Morning after they are transplanted

do the size of the clones you take correspond to the determined sweet spot, e.g. you have to take 2" cuts from strain A, 7" cuts from strain B?

All cuts are 3/4' to 1.5" tall when they are taken

I'm assuming that all the plants in the cell have been maintained at the same elevation or do you boost the shorties closer to the light until they catch up?

All the cuts are at the same height....stretch for EACH and every strain I have has been recorded...the info is unbiased or it would be useless....My Educational Background is in Botany/Greenhouse Mgt.....the data is collected and used just like this was a commercial greenhouse producing any other ag. Product

If not, the couple of smaller clones that stretched insanely, would they have stretched as much if they were in less crowded, more lit environment?

yes they all stretch the same even if they sit alone in a room....stretch is determined by,size of container,and age of cut at 12/12

I'm trying to determine, in this case, to what extent extreme plant densities and light deprivation affect the initial flower stretch and if there's any pattern as to which strains are more or less affected by it.

My studies show that it is influenced more by container size and clone physical size at 12/12...than any other factor

You folks will eventually realize that Horticulture is more to me than just Lights-Pots-and Some Dirt....My Mentor Dr.Julius Wadekamper was one of the Best in the World

Julius Wadekamper (1930 - 2001)
A teacher by profession, Julius Wadekamper earned a master's degree in horticulture at the University of Minnesota. His interest in lilies and their culture began in his teens, but it was not until he returned from a teaching post in Brazil that he began to hybridize lilies.

Wadekamper worked to develop early and late blooming lilies so as to extend the season. His
special interest was brushmarks. "Pumpkin Pie" and "Willowwood" are two of his early introductions in that series. A later introduction, "Purple Reign" is truly spectacular. He worked on perfecting "Purple Reign" for 17 years.

In 1972 he founded a commercial organization to make amateur hybridizer's beautiful lilies available to the public. This company was called Borbeleta Gardens which introduced and marketed for more than 50 different growers. "Snow Lark" won the Best in Show in London and the next year the Queen Mother requested the lilies from Borbeleta for the wedding of Prince Charles and the Princess Diana.

The North America Lily honoured Julius Wadekamper with the E.H. Wilson Award in 1984 for his outstanding contribution. He wrote a judges' training handbook and started the judges' instructor's meetings. In 1995 he helped to form the species Lily Preservation Society.

Julius Wadekamper introduced 66 lilies which he hybridized himself. You can find three of these in our Historical Garden - "Winnie", "Peach Delight" and "Miss Alice" (synonym "Senhora Alice") which was named for his mother.

Last edited:

G0d5hand

Hello there Dr.Bud. I have a question for you. What type of cfls are you useing for your grow? I was homedepot today and they only had the philips daylight bulb. It has 42 watts, 2850 lumens ans on the back it says 6500k. I didn't see the warm white bulbs I think you said you used. I am not to familiar with the different light spectrums so I was wondering is this a good bulb to use for a setup like yours or is it the wrong bulb for flower as I think I heard that this porticular bulb was for veg only?

Thanks for all the info btw.

G0d5hand

Opps also what are the right types for flowering. I have based my grow on yours and and a few others that have setups like yours.

bigd21

G0d5hand said:
Hello there Dr.Bud. I have a question for you. What type of cfls are you useing for your grow? I was homedepot today and they only had the philips daylight bulb. It has 42 watts, 2850 lumens ans on the back it says 6500k. I didn't see the warm white bulbs I think you said you used. I am not to familiar with the different light spectrums so I was wondering is this a good bulb to use for a setup like yours or is it the wrong bulb for flower as I think I heard that this porticular bulb was for veg only?

Thanks for all the info btw.
you need to find the ones that say 2700k, Target seems to always have them

Pig-Pen

DrBudGreengenes said:
My studies show that it is influenced more by container size and clone physical size at 12/12...than any other factor

Gotcha. I thought "the next level" was a no-veg system for some reason. That clears up a lot.

I assume, as far as pot size relative to stretch, that you have found larger pots allow the plants to stretch out more simply on account of increased root space.

:wave:

G0d5hand

How effective do you find the fans when combating the heat? I got several 42 watt bulbs today and might have a box by tonight and the one thing I notice is alot of heat is generated by these cfls.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Pig-Pen said:
Gotcha. I thought "the next level" was a no-veg system for some reason. That clears up a lot.

I assume, as far as pot size relative to stretch, that you have found larger pots allow the plants to stretch out more simply on account of increased root space.

:wave:

ya the same clone "Chesaw" will try to go to 3 feet in a 1ltr Bottle.
But she behaves herself in a 20oz
I try to run each strain in a 1ltr.....it makes for less watering....sum gurls behave and sum don't but every lady gets a try at the 1ltr first

Last edited:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
G0d5hand said:
How effective do you find the fans when combating the heat? I got several 42 watt bulbs today and might have a box by tonight and the one thing I notice is alot of heat is generated by these cfls.

CFL bulbs are HOT.....move as much air as you can quietly

Latest posts

Latest posts