What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tester Badge for Seedbay & Bou testers ?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I really like all these ideas! I think any moves towards standardizing the whole process can't be anything but progress. This will certainly help streamline getting seeds into the right hands and keep the clamor in public test threads to a minimum. I won't call the kettle black here though as I've definitely thrown my name in the hat in a few so forgive that one. :tiphat: Perhaps one thing to look at too is categorizing growers based on their setups regarding number and wattages of lights, room size, grow media, grow style (vert vs. traditional) so breeders could pick and choose from a wide array to really get a feel for how their plants respond.

Could there also be a feature where you could have your name on a cold call list? For instance if you knew you were open to some new genetics and had room you could have your name on the list and breeders could browse through and PM you to confirm you could run some beans. Or even you could have something like, "Give me a month heads up time".

Lastly, speaking from personal experience - Maybe there should always be room on the list for at least one Wildcard. Give somebody the opportunity to maybe write a short paragraph explaining themselves, their experience, grow goals, and how they will prove themselves with this prospective grow. I know that I nerd out on learning about weed and love this site and was happy to get a chance to run some test beans. That might help catapult newer member's e-cred who are reliable, insightful, and genuinely interested in furthering their experience and the betterment of this website and online community.

:yes:

Skip

Veteran
Perhaps what we can do is "certify" testers.

And that is something that could be done retroactively!

So many have already contributed so much to the knowledge base here, they deserve some recognition.

The problem is there are many people involved here. You've got breeders, testers, Clarence, myself (for the grow reports) and of course the general membership who can all give feedback on any test grow.

Normally the Rep itself would take care of who is and who isn't a good tester, but unfortunately that system is abused daily and isn't reliable.

So we'd need something else, a different system to enable some kind of certification.

I suppose a certain number of completed test grows would be required.

Instead of a wildcard, you could offer testers to anyone who's completed a few grow diaries/journals/reports to everyone's satisfaction. Then they would have to go thru and complete a number of test grows before they could become a certified tester. So there's two hoops to jump thru.

You guys know more about the tests than I so what do you think should be the requirements for a tester certification?

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
interesting direction this is taking

It would be nice ot see the breeders who need the testing to be done in here working this out so that we can have their input and later not deal with backfire due to being out of the loop from the start.

We should definitely establish these guidelines - but where to start?

tester certification.

Traditionally breeders checked out your growlog(s) - and upon requesting to test - it seems logical one would list off their specifications - wattage, nutes, style, etc. ... So they would see how well you have grown - and add it up with what you are using to grow - and then decide to choose you or not.

Maybe we should hypothetically start a new "testers needed" situation and work it out by realizing what is needed vs wanted at all times in the process enabling us to customize it entirely and thoroughly and not just cover a few segments that make it seem established only to later on have a weakness in the system.

As a prior and current tester it has not been important till this thread to complete grow reports and that should become mandatory with all future test grows. Current test grows can do it if they want but in the future we should also uphold a growers dedication to the test - not just the ability to accept and complete it.

This is a huge idea to organize and execute.

Skip

Veteran
Keeping it simple is key, whatever you guys decide.
It's actually a complicated issue, one that involves a lot variable parameters and people. So I doubt it can be simple. Although it won't be so complicated for each person since the responsibilities are divided up.

This should actually be a thread in the Seedbay forum, since that's where the breeders and testers meet, no?

We also need to get Clarence involved since he sends out the beans, and we're looking at a bit more involvement on his end.
Looks like he'd need to keep some records on the testers he sends out. I don't know if he already does or not.

We need a checklist to keep track of the status of all tests.
So it would include everything from the solicitation (by the breeder or tester), the response, the bean shipment, beans received, test begins (journal started), test completes (grow report done), evaluation of the grow and grower.

Such a checklist would be updated by various parties involved. This would be a great help, imo, since everyone can keep track of the status of the test.

However getting ppl to update the info in a timely manner might be an issue.

So I guess it's up to each tester to ensure that the info is up-to-date, otherwise it will work against them in the evaluation (if it gets that far).

Breeders should also check up on their testers since they have the most to gain from a successfully completed test.

Providing a way for everyone to check up on the testers seems to be worthwhile on its own, no?

Last edited:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I wish some breeders would show up and add their thoughts.

I think we all know how a thread like this can go bad - Im happy to see the civility continue :D

Can we, in general, make the grow reports easier to use? I hit the tab in the header to take me to grow reports and it takes me to the strain guide. How is that set up? I think it should run alphabetically - it would be much more useful. If I were looking for reports on blueberry for example, I might have to hunt all the way to the end of the list to be sure I don't miss any of them. That's 1 of the reasons I don't use the strain guide and thusly the grow reports.

Skip

Veteran
Can we, in general, make the grow reports easier to use? I hit the tab in the header to take me to grow reports and it takes me to the strain guide. How is that set up? I think it should run alphabetically - it would be much more useful. If I were looking for reports on blueberry for example, I might have to hunt all the way to the end of the list to be sure I don't miss any of them. That's 1 of the reasons I don't use the strain guide and thusly the grow reports.

The link under Features/Grow Reports is the list of grow reports.

If you're looking for Blueberry, all you have to do is enter it in the search, then see the results (there are a LOT), and it doesn't just search one thing.

I found more than 30 results.

Try it, you'll like it! (I know, let's get Mikey to try it!) :)

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps what we can do is "certify" testers.

And that is something that could be done retroactively!

So many have already contributed so much to the knowledge base here, they deserve some recognition.

The problem is there are many people involved here. You've got breeders, testers, Clarence, myself (for the grow reports) and of course the general membership who can all give feedback on any test grow.

Normally the Rep itself would take care of who is and who isn't a good tester, but unfortunately that system is abused daily and isn't reliable.

So we'd need something else, a different system to enable some kind of certification.

I suppose a certain number of completed test grows would be required.

Instead of a wildcard, you could offer testers to anyone who's completed a few grow diaries/journals/reports to everyone's satisfaction. Then they would have to go thru and complete a number of test grows before they could become a certified tester. So there's two hoops to jump thru.

You guys know more about the tests than I so what do you think should be the requirements for a tester certification?

Great idea on the retroactive aspect as there are some members that have been blazing the testers path and doing great work for a few years... These are exactly the members that we need to recognize for all they have given... Not to mention that people sending test packs out should be able to spot these members in the crowd...

It's actually a complicated issue, one that involves a lot variable parameters and people. So I doubt it can be simple. Although it won't be so complicated for each person since the responsibilities are divided up.

This should actually be a thread in the Seedbay forum, since that's where the breeders and testers meet, no?

We also need to get Clarence involved since he sends out the beans, and we're looking at a bit more involvement on his end.
Looks like he'd need to keep some records on the testers he sends out. I don't know if he already does or not.

We need a checklist to keep track of the status of all tests.
So it would include everything from the solicitation (by the breeder or tester), the response, the bean shipment, beans received, test begins (journal started), test completes (grow report done), evaluation of the grow and grower.

Such a checklist would be updated by various parties involved. This would be a great help, imo, since everyone can keep track of the status of the test.

However getting ppl to update the info in a timely manner might be an issue.

So I guess it's up to each tester to ensure that the info is up-to-date, otherwise it
will work against them in the evaluation (if it gets that far).

Breeders should also check up on their testers since they have the most to gain from a
successfully completed test.

Providing a way for everyone to check up on the testers seems to be worthwhile on its own, no?

I would like to suggest we hatch the egg before we fatten up the chicken... :biggrin:
In my opinion....
The breeder aspect is a much more complicated subject and needs it own attention given
without the distraction of testers recognition (leaves and badges/certs) and (egg) issues...

To be honest...

I would not even open the Pandora's box that the breeder aspect could prove to be...
There are so many land mines down that path and without something to motivate the breeders into self adjustment.
I cant really see where the community will gain by distracting the breeders with obligations placed on them...

I think that if we create a viable system of recognition and there by a solid sea of testers
here at the MAG for breeders to chose from,then the breeders will start seeing the need
to organize and standardize their end of the deal,lest they be refused by stellar testers...

In other-words...

Power to the testers!!!

Viva La testers Loco!!!

Simple might be...

-Grow thread from start to finish.
Thread needs to contain:
-Picture/s Bi weekly
-Description of seed germination rate/Veg & Flowering growth/thoughts then
harvest/smoke... That's only 5 description requirements ... Simple...
-finally to apply for the leaf:
Grow Report form completed with link to the grow thread...

Skip...
What do you think of a ~Apply for tester leaf ~ form ?
(Call it whatever..lol)
Same layout as the grow reports yet would be a gold mine of testers
work and achievements as well as a show case for the breeders gear that's getting tested...

Perhaps require that the form be filled from quotes and picture within the thread with
a place at the end for final added thoughts.

This would mean that the thread would have to comply with requirements for the leaf.
Meaning less work for you...lol
Not having to go check the thread in as much detail,
since the report would be a showcase of the test.

This would give, want to be testers a place to see how it's
both done correctly and failed/lack luster attempts...

In time I think this section would set it's own minimum standards...

Could also prove to be just the motivation I think breeders
are going to need in order to want to try something different...

Win-win.... No ? :biggrin:

Certified testers ? IDK... Just not feeling it...haha
Same thing-different name...

A path to the a Tester Badge...

A member ask to test,get picked,runs a good thread,then simply apply for a leaf,gets it....

2 leaves available.

Green-Standard
Gold- Mind blowing well above par grow show/thread.

I like the 3 leaves limit per season.

6 green leaves get you a badge
perhaps- 4 gold leaves gets a badge

(Edit: Retroactively - Member's would be limited to 3 leaves.)

Badge means ?

This is where it gets fun...

The bigger picture comes into focus...

If I were a breeder and wanted to get the cream of the crop testers
to come work my gear and there by almost guarantee a successful test completed.

I might say...

Offer gifts to testers with a badge...
Offer gifts to testers that receive a leaf from testing for me...
Offer gifts to testers that get a gold leaf from testing for me...

I might offer more and more in order to entice a tester with a badge to hold out for my gear.
What might it take to get a busy tester to accept a lull in their garden,
waiting for my testers to be ready ?

Whatever it is... It's going to need to be enticing.... :biggrin:

It's all about the bigger picture for me....

Let's get er done,shall we ? :woohoo:

Last edited:

sdd420

Veteran
:yeahthats
I wouldn't want to put more work on Clarence to certify a tester but somehow put it on the testers to get whatever certifications needed . I like everything dude says honestly hope to get there myself. I hope to get certified and am constantly learning and getting better. There's a lot to learn though right? I love my life right now and have a lot to put into this and can't wait to see what happens. Peace sdd

Skip

Veteran
Certified testers ? IDK... Just not feeling it...haha
Same thing-different name...
I think it's better we don't call it a "certification" since we're not giving out a "certificate", just a badge or leaf.

I can see where we need to create a new usergroup - Breeder, as well as Tester.

Then we can let the Breeders (and vendors) look over the applications for testers and decide who gets the beans. This way only they will be able to see these apps so there won't be a public discussion of who gets what.

I cant really see where the community will gain by distracting the breeders with obligations placed on them...
Again, the breeders have the most to gain from a successful test. So it's certainly in their interest to get involved and pick the best testers for their genetics.

Same layout as the grow reports yet would be a gold mine of testers
work and achievements as well as a show case for the breeders gear that's getting tested...
Yes, they have to enter their grow into the existing grow report system. No need for a new one. We could just highlight the ones submitted by official testers.

Offer gifts to testers with a badge...
I don't think that'll fly cause there's not going to be any exchange of personal info between tester and breeder.

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
I think it would be a good idea if the breeders who have a customer, who completes a grow with their wares ,and posts a whole thread complete with pictures in their sub forum , then the breeders can reccomned that user /or be In control of giving out said badges,....

I.e:if u did a B.O.G grow ,you would receive a B.o.g badge, b4 you know it lots of memberswant to acquire several different badges,....

cause myself included sometimes for one reason or another ,we don't finish the threads we start, I feel this would be a way to reward loyal ,diligent Icmagers,... just a thought

TS

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can see where we need to create a new usergroup - Breeder, as well as Tester.

Then we can let the Breeders (and vendors) look over the applications for testers and decide who gets the beans. This way only they will be able to see these apps so there won't be a public discussion of who gets what.

Not sure I get it... Applications ?
Sounds like work to me,something that might simply get bypassed...

I like the system in place for choosing the testers...
Call out thread and show me what ya got...

I for one like leave at least 1 or 2 spots on my list
for unknown growers that could prove to be exceptional
if given a chance...
This also IMO creates loyalty from both sides.
Something I value deeply.

If the new dude has nothing to show,he wont fill out
an application and may assume he wound not get picked.
Moving on without asking.
To me... A missed opportunity...

Also... We need a 3rd classification.
Tester-Breeder-Student of the arts...

I send out tester packs as Cannafornia seeds
Yet I am not a breeder.
I am a student of the art of breeding.

I do not send out completed projects-
I send out tools for testing that will be used to
create completed projects once my education allows.

Those helping me by testing now will have their choice of whatever may come season 7-8-9 to either test or be gifted...

Loyalty works in both directions and has a value all it's own,IMO...

Point being...
There are many different needs for testing and different
desires from testers,lets leave the details to the individual
sending tester packs and those signing up...

Another reason I want to focus solely on the testers aspect here.

Again, the breeders have the most to gain from a successful test. So it's certainly in their interest to get involved and pick the best testers for their genetics.

True it is in their interest yet they dont seem interested.
I say we entice them into interest...

Yes, they have to enter their grow into the existing grow report system. No need for a new one. We could just highlight the ones submitted by official testers.

Okay,but if nothing is different,
no one will know there's something new...

I don't think that'll fly cause there's not going to be any exchange of personal info between tester and breeder.

Everything would be done through the seed bank
being used to send the test pack out.
Either free seed or credit.

I was thinking along the lines of free pack of my choosing
if a tester receives a green leaf using his grow of my gear.

A free pack of their choosing if they receive a gold leaf.

Any tester with a badge that completes a test grow receives a $50.00 credit at Seedbay... Taken from my Seedbay account...

These are the type of things I would do if such a system were in place to attract quality testers...

IMO... We need a few member's with a few leafs getting people talking about whats with the leaf ?
Once breeders start seeing more and more 2-3-4 leaf members working good shows for others.

I think the enticements will come of their own accord.

Perhaps it's a pipe dream yet in my minds eye.
ICmag creates a system to recognize,encourage quality testers.

Breeders see this system and try a few testers out and get consistently good grows.

Breeders from other sites catch wind of what those
MAG guys have going on and open accounts.

New flavors(seeds) go to the bay,new flavor(Breeders) comes
to the Mag and testers start receiving enticements
due to the competitive nature of man.... :biggrin:

It all starts and end with testers and a system
to encourage quality.

Then again...
Its simply my minds eye that sees this and if no one else see it,
then it will fade like the clouds of smoke that fills my house.

:biggrin:

I'll tell ya what...
My minds eye has seen some funky stuff (Kiddie pools-Cannafornia seed-Ga3 reversing female and possibly male plants)
all of which are working well for me and see no reason
this day dream would be different beyond the fact that
I cant do it by myself...lol

Takes a village...D.U.D.E...:ying:

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it would be a good idea if the breeders who have a customer, who completes a grow with their wares ,and posts a whole thread complete with pictures in their sub forum , then the breeders can reccomned that user /or be In control of giving out said badges,....

I.e:if u did a B.O.G grow ,you would receive a B.o.g badge, b4 you know it lots of memberswant to acquire several different badges,....

cause myself included sometimes for one reason or another ,we don't finish the threads we start, I feel this would be a way to reward loyal ,diligent Icmagers,... just a thought

TS

Good idea till breeders start passing badges only to those members they like rather than those most deserving.

If a breeders gear sucks and simply makes for a weak growing plant.
Can we blame the tester for pointing this out ?
Will that breeder give the leaf/badge for a completed show that calls and shows his gear to be weak ?

The tester did everything deserving of a leaf except choosing the correct breeder... I think he still deserves a leaf...

This is why I didn't simply start passing out the badges found on the 1st post here... They would have no value beyond a SIG picture.

We need an unbiased person to distribute the leaf-badge and there by create value by numbers... In my opinion,of course....:biggrin:

Good feedback....D.U.D.E...

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Good idea till breeders start passing badges only to those members they like rather than those most deserving.

If a breeders gear sucks and simply makes for a weak growing plant.
Can we blame the tester for pointing this out ?
Will that breeder give the leaf/badge for a completed show that calls and shows his gear to be weak ?

The tester did everything deserving of a leaf except choosing the correct breeder... I think he still deserves a leaf...

This is why I didn't simply start passing out the badges found on the 1st post here... They would have no value beyond a SIG picture.

We need an unbiased person to distribute the leaf-badge and there by create value by numbers... In my opinion,of course....:biggrin:

Good feedback....D.U.D.E...

I think there needs to be some check and balance system in place. If you have the final say in how a grow turned out in the hands of the breeder then that is just asking for biased grow reports and butt hurt feelings. It doesn't need to be anything too fancy or elaborate but something along the lines of having a third party to weigh in with their opinion. The third party in this instance could be a special approved moderator for handling these grow reports. I would hate to see this new system turn into a glorified clique, fan club, or biased breeder promo.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran

TS

I like that idea - a lot! I think Devilweedseeds had done that last year for active testers to put in their sigs. Although, I think anyone could have just copied and pasted it in their sigs.

So I guess a bar below sigs that members cant change - except maybe to turn on/off like rep - would be in order. That would work well with the leaves too.

Oooo! Perhaps scrolling over the leaf could show the breeder and strain name, like scrolling over a glossary word. It could even be clickable, taking you right to the grow report.

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran
Heya all.

I think if this is to be done then it should be a simple thing. As Skip said we are not giving a certificate acknowledging growing skills etc. The idea would be to accumulate a group of testers that are verified as members who produce a thread for which they have put their name forward to. This essentially will reduce the time and effort that needs to be put in by us and the breeders in searching for trusted testers. It will also start to help cut down the amount of members that are just looking for free beans.

I would suggest that it would be somethinhg as simple. Lets say that we put a bit more responsibility on the testers. Once you have finished a test grow then you contact me with the completed test. Once you have a predetermined number you could then be awarded the tester badge. Maybe we could have different levels depending on how many have been done. I think the leaf idea is great and if simple to apply would work. But hows about maybe four different colour badges. Bronze, silver, gold then Green. Bronze being 1, silver being 3, gold being 6 then Green being 10. Or something similar.

Skip

Veteran
I like clarence's idea. But I would suggest just two or three leaves.

Perhaps a Green leaf for those completing at least a couple of tests (maybe three) to everyone's satisfaction (so we can see they're not just here to get beans or a "flash in the pan").

Then a Gold leaf for the Masters who really know what they're doing. Perhaps having ten or more tests under their belt.

It can't be too easy to get the Gold.

And we should apply some retroactively. So members would have to provide a list of completed grows (and grow reports too).

So the list of testers could comprise the green and gold testers as well as those without a leaf yet. Those without a leaf could still get a generic tester badge, but no leaf. How's that sound?

Remember that the green and gold will probably get selected first and be too busy most of the time, so breeders can fall back on those without a leaf.

There should be at least a way of tracking total completed grows for a tester. I suggest the grow report section as I can set it up to total the # of accepted completed grows for any user. We can't do that with ordinary threads.

It's a shame we have three ways (if not more) to post up grows... forum threads, grow reports, grow journals... hard to quantify all that unless the member can link to all in one place so they can be counted.

We can leave it to the testers to claim their leaves by submitting (to clarence?) a post listing (with links) their completed grow diaries and grow reports.

choom

I'm loving the ideas, good suggestions
D.U.D.E., as for the leaves themselves
are small .PNG graphics needed for IC?
I just noticed as well that activity .PNG's
were put up on the boards when there's
panel where the image placements are
for those, an idea I had was replacing
nosearch.png
and
search.png
to a small cannabis leaf, and
for new activity a different/brighter hue!

I think different leaves should be used
for the tester medals and test badges
if changing the notification .PNG is liked.
If there isn't anything at the moment,
I can reinstall Adobe Flash and make a
few things to see if they're adequate for
IC's layout, posting them here for feedback.

Also, probably far fetched, but narrow leaves
for people more down for sativa doms/landrace
and hybrid fans and huge overlapping fans for
indica heads; as options by user CP when you
have a tester leaf/tester usergroup enabled on
your IC, a small changeable visual perk for tester
individuality; and to possibly show vendors which
kinds of strains said testers would be best running
based on their personal preference and dialed room.

choom(0:

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I think you 2 are on to something :)

Maybe a white leaf for those who want to/ are available for testers who haven't got any tests under their collective belts.

If C is willing to take on the responsibility to verify, that's cool with me. Hes 3rd party enough and as liason between breeders/testers is probably in the best position to do it.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I like clarence's idea. But I would suggest just two or three leaves.

Perhaps a Green leaf for those completing at least a couple of tests (maybe three) to everyone's satisfaction (so we can see they're not just here to get beans or a "flash in the pan").

Then a Gold leaf for the Masters who really know what they're doing. Perhaps having ten or more tests under their belt.

It can't be too easy to get the Gold.

And we should apply some retroactively. So members would have to provide a list of completed grows (and grow reports too).

So the list of testers could comprise the green and gold testers as well as those without a leaf yet. Those without a leaf could still get a generic tester badge, but no leaf. How's that sound?

Remember that the green and gold will probably get selected first and be too busy most of the time, so breeders can fall back on those without a leaf.

There should be at least a way of tracking total completed grows for a tester. I suggest the grow report section as I can set it up to total the # of accepted completed grows for any user. We can't do that with ordinary threads.

It's a shame we have three ways (if not more) to post up grows... forum threads, grow reports, grow journals... hard to quantify all that unless the member can link to all in one place so they can be counted.

We can leave it to the testers to claim their leaves by submitting (to clarence?) a post listing (with links) their completed grow diaries and grow reports.

Good thoughts here Skip and Clarence. It's cool to see the collaborations unfolding here. I agree that having the option to retroactively apply past grows towards the badge and the new leaves is a good idea. That is a good way to have this new process snowball and gain/keep momentum. All the bigger tester names will suddenly have some badges and leaves and get other's interest in getting on board if they have the initiative. The other side of that coin would be for you, Skip and Clarence, and having to suddenly deal with a large influx of people's information and old grow diaries. Before the floodgates are opened it would be in everybody's best interest to standardize this documenting and application process in order to expedite things and make it easier for everyone involved. Skip, I don't know if you would be up to it but you or somebody else could write up an application page/document of sorts to keep things streamlined and organized. Things such as the actual link to any past grows being submitted with the thread title and also what subforum it was originally posted in. Also, if you want to see something written up and submitted in the official grow report section make note of that with whatever you would like to see in the grow report. That way you can minimize as many duplicate thread questions and PMs to you guys as possible. Ideally, after successfully completing the requirements in said document it would only be a matter of checking over to make sure everything is completed and in order and *poof* we have some badged and leafed members on here to get the ball rolling.