What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The LED Company I've Been Waiting For

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Wait until you read this

Down Light order stopped after a lengthy phone call this morning with BML- a very sophisticated led lighting company

Instead of me getting the 5 Ali down lights, BML is going to send me 2 x 3ft @ 2700K light bars to supplement my 3500/5000 ufo 90s

They have a rather extensive lighting background in large commercial situations

It will be worth anyone's while to spend some time on their site

Their Spyder 600 is designed for a 4 x 4 BUT he is going to make one with a 2 ft spine for me to evaluate in place of my hot5 Bad Boy

For whatever reason links aren't working, but go to Home page and scroll from there

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/how-to-compare-grow-lights/

Individual bars you select the length and lens angle (optical quality)

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/led-light-bar-2700k-warm-white/

http://www.bmlhorticulture.com/spydr...-max-spectrum/

and here comes the orgasm. This program allows the grower to select their own spectrums and see exactly how they will look, how much CCT, CRI, and an actual graph. A custom made light. Oh my.

http://www.bmlcustom.com/

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] __________________
2 Custom UFO 90s

High Performance Hydro 2.0 https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....14#post6117614

HH 2.0 + 210w LED v hot5 BrandX Seeds
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6152502#post6 152502

[/FONT]

Last edited:

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
like the unique design , but the estimated LPW on the white chips is outright horrible!

the new chips put out double that light, I guess if I went with a colored light and maybe 1 or 2 whites it's ok.

RebelGrow

hey petflora i tried to look at your link and typed it in but no graphs show up. dude i'm totally liking what you can do with this company.

RebelGrow

tried that too but your build doesn't come up. i can see what spectrum you used though but not the the graphs. i sent an email their way today to see what they could do for me and my situation. maybe you can chime in with some insight. i have a SunRevolution light mover i use in my flower room and position my plants directly underneath the circular light pattern. i'm going to purchase 2 of these spydr 600 but again thinking what is the ideal spectrum. yours looked good with the whites and 2 660 reds but if only for flowering do you think i should use more ww and more reds?

I like your style RebelGrow - LIGHTMOVERS are the smartest easiest improvement and too many people don't use them.

My humble opinion is that the BML Grow Max Spectrum engineered by them from the factory would be your best bet , depending on you OTHER lights working in conjunction with them, assuming this is a flower room

I have the solar evolution, and am thinking about adding 2 of these, the SPYDERS on 2 arms, in addition to 1- 1000w// HPS , and 1- Ultrasun 1000 watt// 7500k on the other 2 available arms, plus side lighting w/ additional LED's , this would KILL IT!!! All I need to complete this is the Spyder's or something similar for the empty 2 arms

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No easy answer. It might be strain dependent, I tried heavy red, but I think you can go overboard as various spectrums have a relationship to one another- too much of one can negate the other. Based on the following I now use ~ 5% 660+...

~580nm or so (which has a Photosynthetic RS of over 90%!) - which is much better than even your typical 'Enhanced HPS'.

(i.e. 630nm red is ~95% of the PSR of 660nm, AND they currently still have ~20-30% greater radiometric efficiency - as well as being cheaper than the deep reds - so there's more 'bang for the buck'):

tried that too but your build doesn't come up. i can see what spectrum you used though but not the the graphs. i sent an email their way today to see what they could do for me and my situation. maybe you can chime in with some insight. i have a SunRevolution light mover i use in my flower room and position my plants directly underneath the circular light pattern. i'm going to purchase 2 of these spydr 600 but again thinking what is the ideal spectrum. yours looked good with the whites and 2 660 reds but if only for flowering do you think i should use more ww and more reds?

Dr.Nonagon

Very cool stuff for a LED noob like me, but I think BML is using just the 1w diode only. I thought the ideal wattage was 3w. Any reasons to use 1w over 3w, 5w or combo?

Curious because I'm sitting on:

10 5w cree xml 3000k COB
10 5w cree xml 6000k COB
10 5w cree xml 6k/3k COB
18 3w 635nm
24 3w 660nm
8 3w 465nm
8 3w 440nm
6 3w 510nm
50 1w 3000k COB
50 1w 450nm COB
23 1w 660nm
11 1w 630nm
1 1w 600nm
4 1w 450nm
5 1w 470nm
5 1w 730nm
2 1w 380nm

I will definitely use the estimated performance when building my led setup thanks; the carts really takes some of the guess work out but any advice for my setup? I need to build 2 lights outa this.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My electrical knowledge barely exceeds changing an outlet

Since you are using CREE, why not contact them? Not sure about combine 1-3-5w diodes/emitters

Very cool stuff for a LED noob like me, but I think BML is using just the 1w diode only. I thought the ideal wattage was 3w. Any reasons to use 1w over 3w, 5w or combo?

Curious because I'm sitting on:

10 5w cree xml 3000k COB
10 5w cree xml 6000k COB
10 5w cree xml 6k/3k COB
18 3w 635nm
24 3w 660nm
8 3w 465nm
8 3w 440nm
6 3w 510nm
50 1w 3000k COB
50 1w 450nm COB
23 1w 660nm
11 1w 630nm
1 1w 600nm
4 1w 450nm
5 1w 470nm
5 1w 730nm
2 1w 380nm

I will definitely use the estimated performance when building my led setup thanks; the carts really takes some of the guess work out but any advice for my setup? I need to build 2 lights outa this.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks to input from a bright DIY LED man (NPI), I might have uncovered a flaw in BMLs design, at least as it relates to using high efficiency WHITE emitters with passive cooling.

While my overall color selection is fine, the combined efficiency is low at 22%. We want > 30, with 40% available using bigger wattage COBs from CREE or Bridgelux

This may require a bigger heat sink to dissipate without adding a fan.

Waiting to hear back from BML on the matter

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I fretted needlessly

Nick from BML told me they are already using OSRAM XB series across the board, but have not yet updated the LED Builder

I'm soooooo stoked

Dr.Nonagon

My electrical knowledge barely exceeds changing an outlet

Since you are using CREE, why not contact them? Not sure about combine 1-3-5w diodes/emitters

Designing the circuit for these LEDs is not my issue really, I can use any configuration. My concern was related to the DIY color design of BML light rails in relation to the LEDs I have. Designing the spectrum in other words.

Dr.Nonagon

So for example, would this be worth my time?

2q0oqih.jpg

FreedomGrower

Veteran
I would change it to something more like this doubles the lumens and cri while keeping par up ...

Attachments

• highcreelums.jpg
    highcreelums.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 11

Dr.Nonagon

Ohhh, I see! I can do something like that with what I've got.

2dvn5s3.jpg

So to break it down, my build will be 150w and will look something like this. I made it out of 15 because the chart has 15 slots but its missing my 5w of 470 and 1w of 380nm as well as my whites are 6000k not 5700K but it should be close. Okay?

I dunno if I would buy BML but their charts sure are good

6000k 5/15 50w
3000k 5/15 50w
--------------- so 66% white
730nm 0.5/15 5w
660nm 2.5/15 25w
630nm 1.0/15 10w
470nm 0.5/15 5w
450nm 0.5/15 5w
380nm + 1w