What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EarthQuake in Haiti

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
There has been a major earthquake in Port-au-Prince, Haiti... There could be a tremendous loss of life here...:badday:

Say a blessing or a prayer my brethren and sistren

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
They had one in Eureka a few days back, people north and east of me felt it, but I was oblivious.

(twilight zone music plays) Its 2012 coming to get us all!(LOL!!!)

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
For those of you who don't know about Haiti... It's unbelievably poor. Port-au-Prince is a series of shantytowns, and the epicenter was so close to Port-au-Prince, once dawn comes to be... It's going to be a scene of astronomical damage and loss, literally a leveled town! This to a country so poor, you and I have nothing to bitch about...

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yeah, Haiti is one of the saddest places in the western hemisphere, I think I'd rather live in Cuba or Venezuela. They are exceedingly poor, so structures will be poorly built and will collapse easily. Further more, they have not had a earthquake this strong since 1770, so they will have no preparation.

Mrs.Clinton has announced that aid will be on the way soon, and Mr.Clinton has also promised aid through the UN.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Aid through the UN? Boy, those Haitians are screwed now. The UN will aid them right out of existence.

A friend of mine's father and brother are in country doing missionary work. Thankfully I got word a few hours ago that they're fine.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
FoxNews now has the video. It's looking pretty grim. Those folks are going to need more than hope and prayers...

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Check online, there are many sites through which a simple text can donate 5 bucks
It charges you directly, no fuss, and no future annoying texts... It's $5, have some compassion.

Five bucks can mean a lot to people who have nothing, a lot of us when ordering at seedbay, send our orders staggered at five bucks each for return postage. Some for safety, other for extra freebies.. Don't be greedy and only spend money on yourselves...This is for a noble cause

C

cork144

must be the events that prince charles predicted months back,

HAARP at work

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Earthquakes suck, unless they are old school subwoofers. :joint:

Prayers are with them all.

Justa6655321

Veteran
(CNN) -- Scientists have warned for years that the island of Hispaniola, which Haiti shares with the Dominican Republic, was at risk for a major earthquake.

Five scientists presented a paper during the 18th Caribbean Geological Conference in March 2008 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, stating that a fault zone on the south side of the island posed "a major seismic hazard."

Tuesday's potentially disastrous 7.0 earthquake occurred in Haiti along the same fault line, known as the Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault zone.

"We were concerned about it," said one of the paper's authors, Paul Mann, a senior research scientist at the University of Texas' Institute for Geophysics.

"The problem with these kinds of strikes is that they can remain quiescent -- dormant -- for hundreds of years," he said Tuesday evening. "So it's hard to predict when they'll occur."

The findings by Mann and his colleagues followed a 2004 study in the Journal of Geophysical Research in which two geologists found a heightened earthquake risk along the Septentrional fault zone, which runs through the Cibao valley in the northern Dominican Republic.

"This is seismically a very active area of the world," one of the geologists, said Jian Lin of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts. "Geologists should not be surprised by this earthquake."

Lin co-authored the study with geologist Uri ten Brink of the U.S. Geological Survey.

The epicenter of Tuesday's quake was 10 miles southwest of Port-au-Price, the Haitian capital. Its proximity to the country's population center had scientists concerned Tuesday night.

"Because the earthquake was so close to the capital city, because the city is so populated and because the country is so poor -- the houses are not well-built -- it could cause significant casualties," Lin said.

But Mann believes that Port-au-Prince's modest skyline could work in its favor.

"Port-au-Prince doesn't have high-rises," said the geologist, who has visited the city. "It's mostly a low-rise kind of place. And that may be a fortunate thing for them."

The Enriquillo-Plaintain Garden fault is similar in structure and character to the San Andreas fault of California in that both are strike-slip in nature, meaning the plates move past each other in a horizontal direction, Mann said.

"The island of Hispaniola is caught between two techtonic plates," said Michael Blanpeid, associate coordinator for the USGS's Earthquake Hazards Program. "The North American and the Caribbean techtonic plates are shearing the island, crushing it, grinding it. And as that occurs, earthquakes pop off."

A dozen major earthquakes measuring 7.0 or greater on the Richter scale have occurred in the Caribbean near Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the island of Hispaniola in the past 500 years, scientists said.

The last major earthquake near Hispaniola, a magnitude 8.0 in 1946, caused a tsunami and left 20,000 people homeless, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The last large earthquake based on historical records in the Port-au-Prince area was in 1770, Mann said

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
I hear ya brother sotf420... Many prayers.

FYI, I saw these texting places on cnn, and subsequently checked them online... They're legit as far as I can tell. I've been to Haiti, it's one of the poorest nations in the western hemisphere, hell in the world! Mothers here feed their children mudcakes just to fill their stomachs with something, in case you didn't know; mud has NO SUSTENANCE! THESE PEOPLE ALREADY LIVE IN ADVERSE POVERTY AND AMIDST FAMINE ON AN EVERYDAY BASIS! FOUR HURRICANES LAST YEAR, AND NOW THIS... THE HAITIAN PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CHEATED FOR CENTURIES... THEY ARE THE POOREST OF THE POOR

Thank you for everyone that has posted so far, but I'm ashamed for the rest of you.. People went buck wild over seeds, but no one cares about human suffering?? This is a grave humanitarian disaster! Mark my words, the death toll alone is going to be astronomical.. Not to mention a complete leveling of most of the infrastructure (if you can call it that) in and around Port-au-Prince, the capitol and most populous city in Haiti.

Couple that with a lack of basic resources on the part of the Haitian Government, and you have a cesspool brewing! Truly scary happenings folks. Please donate if you have a cell phone, it's chump change to you and me... But a world of difference for Haitians right now!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I can't sleep tonight, I wish Scotty could beam me down their to help pull people out of the wreckage. Think of the small children and babies laying under that rubble right now, dying.

OU812

I can't sleep tonight, I wish Scotty could beam me down their to help pull people out of the wreckage. Think of the small children and babies laying under that rubble right now, dying.

That's why I'm still awake...it's just heartbreaking.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
blaze one

blaze one

for haiti...

i have a haitian friend, i will talk to her and see if her family is ok

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
well you decided to ignore my warning

well you decided to ignore my warning

so you paid the price with your account
we don't allow flaming or attacking members via the messaging systems

OP

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
Thank you for getting rid of the troll... I cannot believe the gall that guy was exuding! How do you manage to even utter the phrase "they deserve it" when a grave disaster like this happens?

Anyway, that's not important... Say a prayer for the folks in Haiti icmagers

JAH Bless

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
moved from africa......... forgotten about and left to survive..

i feel sorry for the people, i also feel sorry for the wildlife that inhabited haiti......

it was a humanitarian disaster waiting to happen, and i bet not a single building ever had a structural engineer look at it....

Latest posts

Latest posts