What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mycorrhizae

FinestKind

Hello again... so, it seems every reference I see to Mycorrhizae says something to the effect of "increases the uptake of organic nutrients by the plant." My question is, does it aid in anyway the uptake of non-organic nutrients, or is it just a waste of time/money if you aren't growing organically? I use a mix of both, so I feel justified using it either way, but I'm just curious... anyone have any thoughts on this?

FK

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Well, shroom growers use chemical nutrients a lot of times, and shrooms are just the fruiting body of the mycelium within the medium. If that type of fungus can use them, then I would assume others could. Some beneficial types may survive this better than others. Some may have a threshold of salt tolerance, others may not.

I have never heard of anyone using chemical nutrients to grow shrooms, in fact I don't understand how they would be applied or used. Can you explain further?

Think Green

There are more than 1 type of Mycorrhizae. They do increase the nute uptake ability from 10 -1000 times more. Also by spreading across the root zone to increase the surface of roots. I imagine innoculant should be used in every situation.

FinestKind

Thanks for the input, everyone- basically what I'm getting is that mycorrhizae is always beneficial, which is what I figured. Thanks!

Yeah it should always be beneficial so long as ph is at the right level when using non organic nutes. The advantage of organic is that is ph's itself.

planted1

Cant grow the shrooms with mineral nutes, doesnt work. myco innoculant is beneficial in all mediums, youll just get your full potential using organic nutes.

FinestKind

I've never used it but I believe my pro-mix bx comes with it.

Yeah, I use Pro-Mix BX too, but it only has one strain of Mycorrhizae, as opposed to like 15 or so in the store-bought kind... also, I noticed recently that on my bag of Pro-Mix the "use by" date had expired like a year ago... and I just bought the bag. :/

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Bacterium Subtilis (most common form of Mycorrhizae on the market) cannot survive even very weak levels of P, which is common in most soils. In soilless medium like coco, and only in early rooting, will it have any effect at all. After you feed your first wellrounded feeding, the myco dies (cannot survive past 32ppm.) There is an entire thread on this in the organics forum.

T

themoonismyfrnd

basically what I'm getting is that mycorrhizae is always beneficial, which is what I figured.

I even use it when putting a sprouted bean in it's first soil sometimes. I've had instances where I've germinated in small peat pods and the moved right over to soil with mycorrhizae in it. (In micro amounts though) The seedlings always seem to thrive.

I find it so useful that I always use it in my other gardening as well.

worm castings and worm casting tea are always good. thats what the grow shop guy said. so im feeding worm castings every time, making a worm box and im gonna rock that shit. maybe that is more along the lines of what your soil could use...

FinestKind

Lazyman... the one I'm using (Earth Juice Rooter's Mycorrhizae) doesn't contain that one in particular, although there are 8 other strains (15 was an exaggeration, sorry) of Endo and ecto Mycorrhizae.

Ilovethewest, the main ingredients in the nutes I use (Fox Farm), at least the liquids, are worm castings and bat guano. I agree that the real raw deal rocks, I just wish they weren't so damn expensive!

Thanks for the input folks!

FK

wondering the same question...Apparently if you maintain a low salt content in the soil you'll be fine. Planned on using myco with a 15-30-15 fertilizer next year..

For the mushroom reference: Cultivators of mushrooms do not add nutrients into the substrate (at least the cubensis, rather unheard of.) All the nutrients needed are in the substrate already, minus the mycelium hydration prior fruiting. Organic stuff is sometimes added to the substrate, debatable if its more beneficial than traditional techniques.

A bit off topic but relevant to the cultivation of mushrooms with 'chemicals.' A tryptamine was introduced (innoculated into the colonized mycelium...if i recall correctly) and over time a reaction occurred. The alkaloids in the mushroom combined with the additional tryptamine forming a compound stronger than psilocybin/psilocin.

Thought this was rather interesting at the time considering the synthesis of that specific chemical is difficult.
(Sorry, do not have the source. Somewhere on a drugs-forum or rhodium's hive perhaps?)

nice that you mentioned that, i was reading alexander shulgans web site 6 months ago i believe, and it was talking about how you could add dmt to the substrate and produce a dmt laced mushroom. very cool, looks like mushrooms suck up a lot of additives in the substrate. any way, worm bins are very cheap, very easy, not dont take a lot of work. look them up.

FinestKind

Thanks Dazed for the input.

ilovethewest, it just so happens I have a friend visiting right now who had an earthworm farm last year, I'll have to ask her about it.

FK

elios

Mycorrhizae make a symbiosis with the plant's roots. This type of Shrooms transform by them metabolism the atmosferic nitrogen (N2) [impossible for plants to absorb] to organic nitrogen (NH2-) [that could be used by the plant to synthesizing many important component]
... on the other hand the plant have to give energy (in form of glucosium) to the Mycorrhizae.
:tiphat: