What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New 8KW stealth Coco chip grow!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
that vortex is a gnarly son of a bitch eh? Couldn't imagine having 2 of them going.

mosquito dunks - do you put them in something before tossing them in the reservoir? I just threw one in and it fell apart - "contaminating" my reservoir with little flecks everywhere! Next time I'll definately put it in a panty hose or chessecloth or something.

What brand are those coco chips? They look very nice and seem like a good alternative to hydroton in my ebb&gros. I'm about to try these huge sure to grow cylinders, but these chips look like they'd be right up my alley if the cylinders dont work out.

I think I may be able to order the below chips (hydrofarm brand) from my local shop. Do they need rinsing or anything before use?

image.php
Yeah the Vortexes are ok, between the Phason and the foam wrap they are so much quieter now, but lately I've been thinking about using water cooling for a future setup (could do it at my current spot too.)

Yep those are the exact chips I used, good stuff! DIdn't do much to them, but man do they soak up cal/mag like a sponge, I have to add a LOT to compensate.

The mosquito dunks seem to be made of bacteria and vermiculite, so yeah I've got a bunch of verm floating around now, I may skim it off with a pool skimmer if it causes any probs. If I still have gnats in a few days I'll go get some Gnatrol, no biggie.

More thoughts on cooling, I like the idea of using water cooling over air, quieter, more efficient, less amps, etc.

I have a good place to hide a 1HP chiller or the like in the shade, and I could run ice boxes, a hydrogen Co2 generator, even water cooled lights (Scary!) but I think if I ran an icebox on each light and ran cold water through them, I might be able to use NO air conditioners. I'd look at having some 12" vents/roof caps put on my roof so i can vent the Vortexes straight up, and water cool everything else. It would be quieter and probably use less juice, and I wouldn't need anything to vent out my windows! That would be my favorite part, the windows are kind of a weak spot (physical security, noise, air flow, light leaks etc are always a worry)

I dunno, I'm an old hot rodder at heart, so I think I could further cool the hot water discharge with, an automotive aluminum radiator and cooler fan, so the chiller doesn't have to work too hard. Just plumbing it inline before the chiller ought to dissipate a good chunk of heat, I hear the Hydrogen puts out a metric assload of heat! Wish I had a pool, pond or stream I could use, but I am on a well so I could use that as long as it doesn't create a ton of waste water.

Hmm, maybe I'd put the ice boxes on the chiller (could downsize this to 1/2 hp) and just run well water through the hydrogen and drain to waste, it wouldn't run 24X7 anyway, just 15 minutes about 4 times a night or so I think. THis way the hottest water just dumps outside and the chiller only has to cool the ice boxes. This would still add a lot of plumbing (bitch to set up and break down 2x a year!) but might be worth it.

I even considered putting a mister system on my roof to keep it cool, but I don't want it to be visible from outside. I heard of a guy getting busted this way by his landlord anyway.

thanks for the reply.

I'd be weary of watercooled lights. I have heard NOTHING good about them.
RichieRich over at the Cabana tried them and was unable to lower his temps with them. Infact he was getting hotter air temps with the watercooled lights then he was with just AC'd hoods and house AC. I believe he was doing everything correct - with very low water temps in the lights.

I'd stick with the simplicity your working with now - its amazing. If anything just seal that room up - use a giant ac - and gas em with Co2.

No need to add watercooled lights, iceboxes, ect as your still not eliminating RADIANT HEAT...all your doing is adding "stuff" and making things more technical and complex.

Note - I have no experience with iceboxes, but using one per hood along with chiller, res, tubing, ect..just sounds like problems.

Enough with what I have to say though -
On with the show bro!

peace
pm

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I wasn't thrilled with the idea of making things more complex, just worried about temps later this year if they stay in the 100* range for a few days I could have problems. Argh and one of my window AC units just took a dump, gotta go buy another one
(which means making a whole new window board for it and the Vortex.)

My brand new 4X4 tray developed several cracks and started leaking too, pulled it out and took it back, new one comes tomorrow.

Hmm, other than that the babies are looking great, I love the little 18" tall plants, they seem to really be packing on the weight right now. Lots of budsites, good color, so far I'm pretty happy. I have two trays of really small plants though, most are between 2 and 7 inches tall, that I just can't expect much from. Next run I will try to get just one or two strains in here for better canopy management. Just wanted to do a run so I can work out the kinks with the coco and the E&F tables, and the temperature characteristics of my building. Have only been living at this spot for 7 months and I'm a month away from harvest #2!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh yeah, since my timeline is tight, and I have the room, I am thinking about buying my next batch of clones and vegging them outside for 7-10 days. I don't have a veg room indoors I can use, but I have lots of room outside and no neighbors. Aside from the bugs and hardening off issues, anything else that should give me pause on this idea? This would let me move bigger, already vegged plants into my flowering room (which will still be finishing the 73-day ChemDawgs) and get them flowering right away.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Bypassed the water filter last night (love those push connect fittings!) to see if the regular well water around here can help with the cal/mag deficiencies. I'm not convinced the filter CAN remove those minerals since it's just a chlorine and sediment filter (TallBoy) but I figured a little trial and error won't hurt.

ANybody adding oyster shells or other dry cal supplements to their coco? I'm using so much Cal/mag I barely have room (too high ppm) to add actual nutes, lol

Securityfirst

Chemdog takes that long huh, I had no idea. Oh well let me ask you a question. If you had the same setup but handwatered instead with a drain to waste, do you think that would work just as well Lazyman? And also my opinion about prevegging is to get a friend that has a vegg space for you to use , maybe an ebb and grow and double up the plants in each bucket. It would save you a lot of time and keep you bug free imo.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Chemdog takes that long huh, I had no idea. Oh well let me ask you a question. If you had the same setup but handwatered instead with a drain to waste, do you think that would work just as well Lazyman? And also my opinion about prevegging is to get a friend that has a vegg space for you to use , maybe an ebb and grow and double up the plants in each bucket. It would save you a lot of time and keep you bug free imo.

Yeah, my first grow in this spot (44 plants, 7KW, 3 gallon grow bags of FFOF soil) gave me 9.5 pounds, and I handwatered it all. Was SUCH a pain. Took an hour or two to water them all, and used up 70 gallons of water every other day. I just didn't have the patience for it, it was a stepping-stone grow so I could have autoamted watering again, but yes I think it would work fine.

I was looking at some of these on Farmtek last night http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...1&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&productId=302643

and got to thinking, if you had three of these inline on a hose, you could inject 3 parts/types of fertilizer on a garden hose (with or without filter) and automatically feed as often as you want, with NO reservoir! You could do it automated or hand feed, but it would take sime time to dial in.

I could use a buddys place to veg, but he's two hours away and I abhor the thought of driving back from his place with ~150 foot tall plants, yikes! Much easiser to stash em in my back yard and do it there, nobody can see it anyway unless I walked them there and pointed the spot out. Maybe I'll just veg em outside in 12 oz cups of chips or something so I can dunk the whole thing in some neem wash or the like before bringing em inside, how's that sound?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Chemdog takes that long huh, I had no idea. imo.

Forgot to address this, but yeah. The guy I got the clones from has grown out CD many times and said 73 is ideal, but I had 29 of them, about 4 feet tall and averaged 4.4 ounces PER. Not bad at all! Some of them were as high as 6 ounces, some as low as 2.5 but that's a pretty good average I think. I have about 25 of them in flower now, but I'll be chopping the others before the CD and replacing them in the tables, so the CD doesn't get lonely :joint:

growshower

lazy, lovin your setup, i am about to make the move back west soon, i used to live in socal, but i moved back east, and no i think i am gonna make the move back to norcal, cant wait to see how this show ends.....tagged

Securityfirst

My Chemdog guy just called me and told me 62-63 days for his Chemdog D version but I can also appreciate a longer flowering plant to let it finish more maturely.
I know a woman with a new spot and she has been wondering what low budget method to use. Ill tell her about the smartpots, she insists on handwatering; she just wants to get started and all. Those farmtek things are cool but resovoirs work for me. Im not really into plumbing but my maintenance guy could pull it off.
I also like your thread on how to top off resovoirs because I have 2 100 gallon resovoirs for three trays and one resovoir needs to be topped manually every other day.
When you handwatered with soil would you say they took a couple cups everyday or did you saturate?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
My Chemdog guy just called me and told me 62-63 days for his Chemdog D version but I can also appreciate a longer flowering plant to let it finish more maturely.
I know a woman with a new spot and she has been wondering what low budget method to use. Ill tell her about the smartpots, she insists on handwatering; she just wants to get started and all. Those farmtek things are cool but resovoirs work for me. Im not really into plumbing but my maintenance guy could pull it off.
I also like your thread on how to top off resovoirs because I have 2 100 gallon resovoirs for three trays and one resovoir needs to be topped manually every other day.
When you handwatered with soil would you say they took a couple cups everyday or did you saturate?

Yep the ChemDawg D could have been taken earlier but I just trusted my buddy and was very happy with the weight (added on good size in those last couple weeks.)

Yeah the Smartpots are pretty cool, more expensive than regular grow bags, but they don't tear and the breathe better.

Cool, we have similar reservoirs then. I havent had to top mine up manually once using that system, it's pretty much foolproof I think.

Handwatering, well I was watering out of a 55 gallon reservoir with a 900GPH pump and using a 3/4 inch poly hose with a watering wand, and watering each plant for about a minute, til I had a full catch tray under each one. Once the "hungry plants" had eaten up the res I had a 40 gallon of plain RO I'd top it off with for the OG Kush (light feeder pheno) and they'd eat half of that for 6 plants. So overall I think I probably put about 2 gallons into each pot every two days, sometimes 3. This was during winter too, night temps around 63, days (lights off) around 60. So weird! I couldn't argue with the results, but it was just SO much water it was a pain to get to them all. All the while I was planning how I wanted this one to turn out. Hope that helps!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
lazy, lovin your setup, i am about to make the move back west soon, i used to live in socal, but i moved back east, and no i think i am gonna make the move back to norcal, cant wait to see how this show ends.....tagged

Thanks man! Yeah Sonoma county seems to have the best laws for medical pot in Cali, glad I moved here. Humboldt has better weather for outdoor growers though, we don't get any rain from May until November so it's harder to do outdoor here. My town has a head shop and a hydro store on the same street, about ten minutes away. Lovin it!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
LOL:

I think I may hang out here a little too much...

growshower

growshower

right there with you buddy, and I haven't even posted any of my shows here

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I was nervous about it aat first, coming from Gardenscure where they run you off if you have more than 1KW I was afraid I wouldn't be supported, but man, the attitude here is just so, well GROOVY I can't stay away. You guys are all really supportive and helpful, and whether new or experienced, everyone brings something to the table. Think I just might have to sign up as a site supporter...